Menu

Help me with gift ideas for these people, please?

ktgrok

First, my mom. She is 65, lives with my Dad on a barrier island in Florida, likes to fish on the boat with my dad. Plays hostess a LOT to visiting friends. Babysits my sisters kids (7 and 5) a LOT LOT LOT. Drives on highways back and forth to my sister's house several times a week. Has severe arthritis in her hands. Likes kitchen gadgets but already has an instant pot, air fryer, rotisserie, crock pot, and an electric griddle thing. Price range of $50-$75

Dad is the absent minded professor. Loves to fish, read science fiction (hard sci-fi, like Asimov, not fantasy), and also spends a lot of time on the highway driving to his job. Loves non fiction books as well, I got my love of reading from him. He enjoys informative, thoughtful stuff about the environment, history, politics, and the economy, and is a liberal democrat so not going to like a book by Limbaugh, lol. I usually get him just books,a though one year we splurged and got him a Kindle paperwhite, which he liked and uses. Last year we got him a telescope that he never used and is giving back. Book suggestions, or suggestions in general would be great. 

Oh, and I got him and her travel mugs last year so don't want to do that again this year. 

Any help appreciated! 

For Mom--check out the gift boxes at Penzey's for really good herbs and spices.  Or get her an Essential Pan by All Clad--these come in 4 or 6 quart sizes and are the most useful pans I have ever had.  Pricier than what you wanted, but omgosh so great.

For Dad--Does he have The Martian?  If not, he should--that's classically hard science fiction.  And that author has just come out with a new book, get that one, too.  If he doesn't have it yet (and it's old, so he might, but a bit obscure, so he might not) Tales From The White Hart is an excellent short story collection of hard sci-fi.  It's by Arthur C. Clarke.   

• Like 1

For Mom--check out the gift boxes at Penzey's for really good herbs and spices.  Or get her an Essential Pan by All Clad--these come in 4 or 6 quart sizes and are the most useful pans I have ever had.  Pricier than what you wanted, but omgosh so great.

For Dad--Does he have The Martian?  If not, he should--that's classically hard science fiction.  And that author has just come out with a new book, get that one, too.  If he doesn't have it yet (and it's old, so he might, but a bit obscure, so he might not) Tales From The White Hart is an excellent short story collection of hard sci-fi.  It's by Arthur C. Clarke.   

I know he has read the martian, but could get him the new one! And Even if he has read the Clarke ones, it would have been a while, so good idea!

And I LOVE the spices idea! My mom loves stuff like that!

• Like 1

For your mother I'd suggest one of these red copper frying pans.  We really like the brand I linked.  One of the things I like is how light the pans are -- with your mother's arthritis, she might appreciate a lighter pan.

Seconding Carol in Cal.'s suggestion of the Martian audiobook for both your father and your mother.  My husband enjoyed Andy Weir's second book, Artemis.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

What about a pretty cake stand or expensive casserole dish for your mom?

Here are a few I like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cake+stands&start=80&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=N&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=cat:4372,vw:g,init_ar:SgVKAwiUIg%3D%3D,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=5022309748256727727&prds=num:1,of:1,epd:12125358018337001248,paur:ClkAsKraXwODyPiWN6Psw__KooOqaX09MCpqldlE1e19K13ixF3ioCgHFSZCI_Qm2YEw1WkJh-uoNZLYjZlG-9myqhFiue9pBhIXnh1KlWtXoWQEqGSxJNNdtRIZAFPVH71qstY1zRYBLWsd3bhH5PBfkDHPGA,cid:16966817528921594915&ved=0ahUKEwicyvrorenXAhXCeSYKHYPRDJI4UBCCNgjTBA

https://www.google.com/search?q=pretty+casserole+dishes&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=16128840140308585553&prds=epd:6856289225098851473,paur:ClkAsKraX2owfZcjgUSIRkfZIP_xqfDToxPSCBPALOrEzwvx5p4k6JSRIWRIO10kMQw7Z66xqEetlGLyfeoTlyihZ1iJMsWQpALMfJlHGVEIgHlOhQeMRTgBKhIZAFPVH70mcTnpsL4SPYVUxP59EeoU1T3x9g,cdl:1,cid:4933479770489077270&ved=0ahUKEwjazsyBrunXAhXIPiYKHeYRA5QQgTYIhQU

Or this casserole dish holder which I love

https://www.google.com/search?q=pretty+casserole+dishes&start=40&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=N&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=3776720355797709804&prds=num:1,of:1,epd:13875318115550133365,paur:ClkAsKraX_uFO3B2csIvGSUujjxUSMEa7kgSVHODZJF5qkEuMQrY37Ygg8QA0s30Fd8roO5nA1UYf1XZQWna3VGKMVpterox1N2o3Zq6VQ7vO6rAnabkDxUSdBIZAFPVH72BXKLxQ-j5xO9of7QT3dGzznKDww,cid:14262622487806185935&ved=0ahUKEwiN_sOkrunXAhVE7iYKHW0sCNE4KBCCNgj7BA

How about a nice framed picture of all of her grandkids together?  Could you get that?  Are they all local?  Or maybe just your family?

Or maybe a photo album of all your kids/family.  That is all my parents want.

Although maybe a gift card for gas for your mom?

I like the audible suggestion......they could share an account.

• Like 1