Menu

Rice cooker recommendations

Nemom

I need a decent rice cooker.  I have a smaller one that i bought years ago but it just makes a total mess when I use it.  The liquid splashes out everywhere making a huge mess.

I'm not looking for something extremely expensive.  Any mid priced models that work well and don't create a mess?

Thanks

I have a Vita Clay one, and I just love it.

It has a very slight increase in pressure--it's not a pressure cooker, but it increases the pressure just enough to compensate for altitude at around 5400 feet.  So I don't have use a lot of fat to get the temperature up enough to avoid gummy rice like I did on the stove.

It has a bare, fine clay pot, so it warms and cools slowly compared to metal.  It keeps the rice at 'warm' for a long time after cooking if necessary, and since there is no glaze, I trust it not to involve heavy metal contamination like slow cookers can.  

Regarding being messy--it has a clay cover and then an overall cover on top of that.  I've never had any trouble with it except once when I filled it too full.  2/3 or less is about right.

• Like 1

I have a Vita Clay one, and I just love it.

It has a very slight increase in pressure--it's not a pressure cooker, but it increases the pressure just enough to compensate for altitude at around 5400 feet.  So I don't have use a lot of fat to get the temperature up enough to avoid gummy rice like I did on the stove.

It has a bare, fine clay pot, so it warms and cools slowly compared to metal.  It keeps the rice at 'warm' for a long time after cooking if necessary, and since there is no glaze, I trust it not to involve heavy metal contamination like slow cookers can.  

Regarding being messy--it has a clay cover and then an overall cover on top of that.  I've never had any trouble with it except once when I filled it too full.  2/3 or less is about right.

Carol, so how long does the rice take in this pot? 

I make rice on the stove but I've been thinking about a slow cooker and this looks really lovely and I might want it for rice too....

And while I'm at it, is it possible to make rice in advance? Like set everything up in the morning, program things and have it ready in the afternoon? Or does rice go weird if you try that? 

Carol, so how long does the rice take in this pot? 

I make rice on the stove but I've been thinking about a slow cooker and this looks really lovely and I might want it for rice too....

And while I'm at it, is it possible to make rice in advance? Like set everything up in the morning, program things and have it ready in the afternoon? Or does rice go weird if you try that? 

I have never actually timed it.

It's programmable, and at altitude I usually use the brown rice cycle for white rice.  I think it takes 50-60 minutes, but because the rice is kept warm after it's done I have never worried about trying to have  it ready *right when we sit down*.  I just start it at the beginning of cooking the meal, it finishes while I'm doing other things, and it's fine.

As far as working on it in advance, the earliest I have done this is about 4 hours in advance and it was great.  That was using water as the cooking liquid.  I would be reluctant to do that with chicken broth, like for a pilaf, in case of spoilage.

• Like 1

I need a decent rice cooker.  I have a smaller one that i bought years ago but it just makes a total mess when I use it.  The liquid splashes out everywhere making a huge mess.

I'm not looking for something extremely expensive.  Any mid priced models that work well and don't create a mess?

Thanks

Also, do you rinse your rice before cooking?

I've owned many, many rice cookers over the years. My latest is a zojirushi that I love, but it is on the expensive side.

My advice is to find one with the features and capacity that you would like, but stay away from Black and Decker. That was the worst I've ever tried. It had nice appearance and a steamer basket, but the lid must not have fit well enough. It sputtered all over the counter making a big mess to wipe up and sometimes it didn't turn on or turned off early. An inexpensive but very good brand has been Aroma. Never had a problem with these ones and I've had a few. Some rice cookers have a brown rice setting or porridge setting which is also great for oatmeal and is especially nice if you have a delayed cook setting so you can set it at night and breakfast will be ready when you wake up. :) You could even bake a cake in some. I make soup in my cookers, too.

• Like 1

Zojirushi.  We use ours almost every day.  I didn't buy it (BIL gifted it to me when he decided the 10-cup model was too big for a single person's rice needs) but if it ever breaks, I will happily shell out the $ for a replacement.  Ours is about 10 years old now and going strong.

• Like 2

We also have the Zojirushi and use it a ton. I’m pretty sure it’s the same one we got for our wedding 17+ years ago. 

I don’t like the splashing out through the little steam hole, so I use a little metal cup and put it over it. It doesn’t affect how the ride is cooked. The cup doesn’t fit perfectly so steam can still get out, but the liquid doesn’t splash everywhere. 

We also have the Zojirushi and use it a ton. I’m pretty sure it’s the same one we got for our wedding 17+ years ago. 

I don’t like the splashing out through the little steam hole, so I use a little metal cup and put it over it. It doesn’t affect how the ride is cooked. The cup doesn’t fit perfectly so steam can still get out, but the liquid doesn’t splash everywhere. 

Do you rinse your rice? I've never had a splash issue, even w/the less expensive cookers, when the rice is rinsed well in cold water.

I've owned many, many rice cookers over the years. My latest is a zojirushi that I love, but it is on the expensive side.

My advice is to find one with the features and capacity that you would like, but stay away from Black and Decker. That was the worst I've ever tried. It had nice appearance and a steamer basket, but the lid must not have fit well enough. It sputtered all over the counter making a big mess to wipe up and sometimes it didn't turn on or turned off early. An inexpensive but very good brand has been Aroma. Never had a problem with these ones and I've had a few. Some rice cookers have a brown rice setting or porridge setting which is also great for oatmeal and is especially nice if you have a delayed cook setting so you can set it at night and breakfast will be ready when you wake up. :) You could even bake a cake in some. I make soup in my cookers, too.

I am on my second Zo.  I got my first 20 years ago and it was still working, but I found a newer one at Goodwill with the tags still on it, for $6, so I use that one now.

• Like 1

I think my might have been Black and Decker.  I haven't used it for years because it just isn't worth the mess. 

I've stuck with the 10 minute boil in the bag rice since then. 

Me & rice at my house is a really big, ongoing joke.    :scared:  :rofl:

I think my might have been Black and Decker.  I haven't used it for years because it just isn't worth the mess. 

I've stuck with the 10 minute boil in the bag rice since then. 

Me & rice at my house is a really big, ongoing joke.    :scared:  :rofl:

Yeah, I think it was the cooker. Get a different one. You'll see the difference.

Mine is Aroma brand that I found at Costco a couple of years ago. It works perfectly and is so easy to use and clean. I think it was less than $20. I've used a few rice cookers over the years like my mom's and a friend's and I've not noticed much difference in any if them. On my inexpensive Aroma rice cooker I just hit a button that says white rice or brown rice and then it does it all on its own and then automatically goes to keep warm mode.

• Like 1

Do you rinse your rice? I've never had a splash issue, even w/the less expensive cookers, when the rice is rinsed well in cold water.

I never rinse my rice.  My Zojirushi emits a tower of steam during one phase of the cooking cycle, but it doesn't splash, even when I get lax about cleaning the inner lid.

I have a very basic Aroma brand rice cooker and it works great. Inexpensive and I've had it for about 15 years. They can be found at many stores like Target, Amazon, etc.

I second this, we used Amazon at a sale years ago. It has a brown rice setting, does sputter a bit, but for some reason, chunks of carrot thrown in there with the rice stop the spitting and sputtering. Tastes good too :).

I’ve got the $30(ish) Aroma from Costco. It’s worked perfectly for 5-6 years now and also functions as a slow cooker for when you need an extra crockpot. I own the zojirushi water boiler, but see no reason to spend that much money on a rice cooker when the cheap one cooks the rice the way I like it. I mostly do jasmine or brown rice in there. I also use it to cook any boxed rice mixes. I’ve even used it for cous cous when I want to keep it hot.

Edited by KungFuPanda

We got a zojirushi from Costco to replace an older zoji. The older zoji cooker was 10 cup capacity used to cook white rice in 25 min or so..the newer 5.5cup zoji cooks white rice in 55min and brown rice almost takes 2 hours which is ridiculous. Not sure I want to keep the new one..how long does white rice and brown rice cooks in your rice coookers, specially the zojirushi cooker?

Edited by Princess5

We got our Zojirushi in 1997, and it's still going strong.  I use it quite regularly (more so now that we have a Japanese exchange student).  I keep thinking it's gonna give it up, but it hasn't yet.  It's quite simple.  No program.  Just push the button down to "Cook", and it pops up to "Keep warm" when it's cooked.  Retractable cord.  Pretty design (which is still available 20 years later).  I will get another one (I have it in my Amazon cart), but this one just won't die!

We got a zojirushi from Costco to replace an older zoji. The older zoji cooker was 10 cup capacity used to cook white rice in 25 min or so..the newer 5.5cup zoji cooks white rice in 55min and brown rice almost takes 2 hours which is ridiculous. Not sure I want to keep the new one..how long does white rice and brown rice cooks in your rice coookers, specially the zojirushi cooker?

It sounds like you have a defective unit. I’d call them. That’s just not right. At that price I’d expect a replacement. Costco should take it back no problem.

• Like 1

It sounds like you have a defective unit. I’d call them. That’s just not right. At that price I’d expect a replacement. Costco should take it back no problem.

Actually, that sounds about right got a fuzzy logic rice cooker. I have mine from Japan and with the regular cycle that is how long it takes.

Actually, that sounds about right got a fuzzy logic rice cooker. I have mine from Japan and with the regular cycle that is how long it takes.

Rice cooking times should not take twice as long in a rice cooker. Does your manual say it should take almost an hour to cook white rice? That’s crazy.

Same...My older simple model cooks quickly, the new Zo takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour, but it also has a "quick" setting for when you need rice in a hurry. It takes half the time, but the manual states that the rice may be a little different texture-slightly harder. I haven't tried the quick setting yet, but the new pot also has a delay timer function so if I plan ahead, I can set that for when I need it to be ready. I like the consistency of the rice in the new Zo and all the other functions, so it doesn't bother me that it takes about an hour. I just put the rice in first then prepare the rest of our meal. I'd keep both cookers since it good for more than just rice. ;)

BTW, the manual I have says that brown rice takes 1H 25M to 1H 50M for brown rice.

I never rinse my rice. My Zojirushi emits a tower of steam during one phase of the cooking cycle, but it doesn't splash, even when I get lax about cleaning the inner lid.

It’s less an issue in the zojirushi (I still rinse tho) but the simpler glass top ones will spew starchy water out of the sides and top if you don’t rinse. I’m speaking of uncooked calrose or jasmine rice.

ETA, my newish zoji takes about 45 min for a white rice cycle but it’s a small size, 6-8 cup capacity.

Edited by Sneezyone

Holy cow I had no idea about this time thing. I’m so glad I didn’t spring for the zojirushi rice cooker. I thought about it because I love their water boiler and use it several times a day. My cheap Aroma does perfect rice in 20 minutes. I’ve never even used the “quick rice†setting, but I’m guessing it’s a ten minute cycle. I do rice last-minute so often that I’d just end up doing it on the stove if my rice cooker took so long.

I was similarly stunned when I found out front loaders took forever to wash and my new dishwasher took ages to cycle. I guess I’m always in a hurry. It’s probably the case that none of this is an issue for people who are better at organizing their day. 😕

I was similarly stunned when I found out front loaders took forever to wash and my new dishwasher took ages to cycle. I guess I’m always in a hurry. It’s probably the case that none of this is an issue for people who are better at organizing their day. 😕

This is more a 'new appliances' issue.

Newer dishwashers take longer because to save energy they make more use of cooler air and evaporative drying.  I think there is something similar with newer front loaders not use the same high temp water as the older ones, though I'm not sure about that.