Menu

AoPS intro algebra > geometry

Hi--

I've been trying to decide what to do about math for DD next year. She's doing very well in AoPS intro algebra. I am only planning to complete to chapter 11 for the algebra 1 material. I've been considering AoPS geometry next year, but just saw that on WTMA they recommend completing AoPS intro algebra (essentially algebra II)  (chapters 11-end of book) before geometry. 

http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/classes/geometry-aops/

Is that typically what folks do with AoPS? I know my own path was algebra 1 (8th), geometry (9th), algebra 2 (10th), algebra 3/trig/precalc (whatever it was called then) (11th), and calc (12th).

I think doing the rest of that intro algebra book might be a brilliant solution for us. Perhaps even doing a lighter geometry along side to prep for AoPS geometry in 10th.

Thanks!

My kids didn’t but both are high on visual spatial. My younger finds AoPS intro to geometry much easier than AoPS intro to algebra. My oldest finds both equally hard or easy. So again it depends on your child. For my geometry loving younger kid, Algebra was the pain.

• Like 1

My kids didn’t but both are high on visual spatial. My younger finds AoPS intro to geometry much easier than AoPS intro to algebra. My oldest finds both equally hard or easy. So again it depends on your child. For my geometry loving younger kid, Algebra was the pain.

She adores algebra so I think I've found my solution! I'm so happy that I realized this was an option!

Another factor is how strong are you in geometry in terms of visualizing and proofs. If you are able to help, sequence doesn’t really matter that much as you can just fill in the gaps as needed. My husband and my math path was integrated math all the way to 12th grade, similar to the MEP math sequence.

Euclid elements might be a fun prep for geometry depending on your child’s interest.

We finished intro and then went on to geometry. Looking back, geometry wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. It was at first but then we got into the groove of it and laying out all the different colored pens/pencils/gels. If it weren't for the glittery gel pens, I don’t think DD would have enjoyed it as much. Now that we are in Intermediate, I'm looking fondly back to the geometry days. I don't know if I can go through this book. I bought an alternative, but DD won't look at it.

I'm thinking if I need help, rather than hire a tutor, I'm just going to post the question on this board.

My kids have done them concurrently. There are a few problems in the geometry book that require quadratics, otherwise it's just basic algebra.

Two of my kids find geometry much easier than the algebra (they are highly visual spacial). My daughter has done the first 6 chapters of the geometry book and fewer of the algebra so far.

We finished the Intro Algebra book first because I’d heard that Geometry was harder. He’s enjoying Geometry as well and not necessarily finding it much harder, but he is a year older so that might have been a good thing. 

We also took a break in the middle of Algebra (I think after Chap 13) and did the Intro Counting and Probability Book. He loved that. 

There is a high achieving public school in our area that does algebra 1 and 2 in grades 8 and 9, followed by geometry in 10. I was surprised when I first saw the schedule, but it works for that school, which only admits the top 10-15% of the city's students.

At my kid's middle school, the most advanced math students cover algebra 1 in the first two trimesters of grade 7, then a trimester of algebra 2 topics, followed by geometry in grade 8.

I guess that for students with expectations of going further than average in math, it makes sense to dive into algebra 2 sooner rather than later.

Honestly, DD has no desire to do anything with math as a career except use it to help with her aerial rigging choices. She's my gifted 2e kid who plans to go to circus school rather than college. I'm just choosing to continue to keep her going with a rigorous academic path in case she changes her mind. She really loves AoPS, but she doesn't really love math, if that makes any sense. She's quite strong at it but not particularly speedy. 

• Like 1

My kiddo sounds a bit like yours. Hoping to attend a performing arts high school, but will do the homeschool version if they don't get in, then wants a degree enabling them to work in animation. Also very very strong in math, loves AOPS, but no interest in math competitions etc. I have encouraged them to keep the math (and coding) skills sharp in order to have a potential lucrative edge within the field, or even tutoring math on the side in school to make a much higher gig pay rate than working retail on weekends for $11/hr like her peers.

• Like 2