Menu

Great Family Game without a Squillion Pieces?

wendyroo

I want to get my husband a board game for Christmas.  I had been eyeing Terraforming Mars, but I am hesitating for three reasons. 

First, it says it is for ages 12 and up; that means it would probably be on the edge of doable for my oldest (8.5), but out of reach for my second son (6.5).  I am hoping to find something that is a bit less complicated.  Not a kids' game, per se, but something that my husband and I could play with both the 6 and 8 year olds (who are both advanced with regard to math and logic)...with the 6 year old perhaps playing on a team with one of us.

Second, I read that a Terraforming Mars game last about 2 hours.  That is SO far out of reach.  We need something that could be played in 30-45 minutes.

Third, Terraforming Mars appears to have a lot of little pieces.  The 6 and 8 year olds are wiggly, jostle-y, AHDH kiddos, so games like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are very stressful in that the board is constantly getting bumped/shaken/tipped.  We almost always abandon games in frustration the 100th time we have to try to figure out where all the little pieces were supposed to be.

This seems like a tall order, but I thought it might ring a bell for someone.  An interesting, "grown-up" game, preferably math or logic based, that can be played in less than an hour and doesn't involve lots and lots of precisely placed pieces.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

DON'T get Carcasonne.  It's a GREAT game, but even my calm, quiet kids bump the play area often enough for me to rip out handfuls of my own hair in frustration most games!  :-D  

In Blokus, the pieces click relatively securely onto the board.

Labyrinth also has relatively secure pieces.

BLINK is a fast-paced, super fun card game.

My ds17 recommends Splendor or Kings of Tokyo. Splendor is mostly cards and Kings of Tokyo has a small board but not very subject to the bumping issue. We've played both of these with ~10 year old kids. Not sure about younger than that but you could read reviews.

My ds17 recommends Splendor or Kings of Tokyo. Splendor is mostly cards and Kings of Tokyo has a small board but not very subject to the bumping issue. We've played both of these with ~10 year old kids. Not sure about younger than that but you could read reviews.

I agree with the King of Tokyo recommendation.  We played it with DS starting when he was 7 or 8 and he picked up on it right away (and proceeded to win every single time I played with him).