Menu

Nike running shoe peeps: do they run small?

IfIOnly

I just received my first pair in the mail, and it was also my first time ordering through Zappos. The Nike Air Max Motion running shoes are too small, even though I ordered my usual size of 8.5. I'm so sad that I'll have to wait for the return process to get a comfy pair of shoes. Been walking 3 miles on the treadmill in cheap Costco running shoes, and the difference between the cushion of the Nike shoes and Costco shoes is amazing. The Nikes are so comfy. 

I'm not sure if I should try a 1/2 size up or whole size. They're pretty tight at my true size. 

Link to shoes: https://www.zappos.com/p/nike-air-max-motion-lightweight-lw-aurora-green-iced-jade-white/product/8661806/color/683718

Edited by IfIOnly

The length is correct but not the width. My kids go for the wide size for Nike running shoes even though they don’t need the wide size for most brands.

From Nike’s help page https://help-en-us.nike.com/app/answer/a_id/53369

“HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED A WIDE OR NARROW SHOE?

If the shoes you wear feel too wide or they slip at the heel, you may consider choosing a shoe with a narrower fit. If the shoes feel too narrow at the heel or toebox, you may consider choosing a shoe with a wide fit.â€

• Like 1

Narrow and smaller than my Asics, Brooks, and New Balance.  I order up half a size for Nike and sometimes New Balance.

I usually order two sizes from Zappos (half size apart) and ship back the one I don't want.  I do this for all brands though because I have a high arch. If the arch is well supported I wear one size and if the footbed is more flat, I go up a half size. 

My workout shoes are Asics and Brooks. I wear Nike for casual running around town shoes.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Well, bummer. My feet are maybe between regular and wide size shoes.  This particular shoe may not work for me.  I tried on some Brooks shoes, and the Nike shoes were even more comfortable than those. Not sure where to go from here, and any advice is welcome.

Thank you, ladies, for your experiences and helping me sort this out!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

I found Nikes to be too narrow for my feet, which is weird because I don't have wide feet.

True for me too.  

Well, bummer. My feet are maybe between regular and wide size shoes.  This particular shoe may not work for me.  I tried on some Brooks shoes, and the Nike shoes were even more comfortable than those. Not sure where to go from here, and any advice is welcome.

Mine seem to be between sizes/widths too, depending on the shoe.  Does Zappos do free returns?  If so, order the 1/2 size and the full size up and return what doesn't fit.

• Like 1

I have not found them to run shorter, but I do find them narrower. I started out in the women’s Nike Lunarglide, but then I had problems with them being too narrow, so I switched to the men’s Lunarglide. Then, with my Morton’s toe I lost a toenail so I went up a half size. Recently, while I hadn’t lost a toenail, I found my longest toe was sore after long runs so I went up another half size.

If the problem is that they’re too narrow and you’re wearing the women’s shoe, then try the men’s.

If the problem is that they’re too short lengthwise go a half to full size up. I believe we’re talking the difference of 1/4†or so when you size up. The difference between sizes is really smaller than you think.

• Like 1

Yes, they run small! My DH and kids all wear at least 1/2 size bigger in Nike, no matter which style. And they all consistently wear Nike. I made the mistake of getting my normal size and have regretted it ever since, especially since I don’t wear mine out nearly as quickly as they do.

• Like 1

My running kid loves Nike and she does have narrow feet. When she had Sever's Disease (painful heel at growth plate), we went to our local running shoe store for expert help on fit. I think she tried literally every brand of shoe before settling on what she already was using--Nike Pegasus. She couldn't get a tight enough fit from other brands. For street shoes she's an 8 but she's a 9 for running shoes and soccer cleats (both Nikes). So if most people only go up a half size for running shoes and she goes up a whole size, perhaps Nike shoes do run small.

• Like 1

I find Nike to run narrow. Does that shoe come in different widths?

Which Brooks did you try? The Launch isn’t as cushiony for me but is fine for just normal around the house wearing. I like the Adrenaline (if you pronate) or the Ghost if you have a neutral stride.

• Like 1

I find them narrow in front as well as smallish overall.

I have a narrow heel and a pretty wide foot ball, and in past years have had excellent success with Ryka or Saucony shoes.

But now that I have plagued intermittently with plantar fasciitis, I wear trail running shoes mostly--either Brooks Cascadia or Salomon Speedcross, because they give me more lateral stability and slightly more arch support than standard, lighter weight running shoes.  In both of those I wear a half size larger than I would in flats, and in both they are plenty wide even across the ball of my foot.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Yes, they run small! My DH and kids all wear at least 1/2 size bigger in Nike, no matter which style. And they all consistently wear Nike. I made the mistake of getting my normal size and have regretted it ever since, especially since I don’t wear mine out nearly as quickly as they do.

Aw, bummer. I was tempted to try to break them in and see if that would help but especially after this thread will just send them back.

I have not found them to run shorter, but I do find them narrower. I started out in the women’s Nike Lunarglide, but then I had problems with them being too narrow, so I switched to the men’s Lunarglide. Then, with my Morton’s toe I lost a toenail so I went up a half size. Recently, while I hadn’t lost a toenail, I found my longest toe was sore after long runs so I went up another half size.

If the problem is that they’re too narrow and you’re wearing the women’s shoe, then try the men’s.

If the problem is that they’re too short lengthwise go a half to full size up. I believe we’re talking the difference of 1/4†or so when you size up. The difference between sizes is really smaller than you think.

Oh, great idea! Need to try these shoes on locally, so I can figure out what size I am in men's.

I find Nike to run narrow. Does that shoe come in different widths?

Which Brooks did you try? The Launch isn’t as cushiony for me but is fine for just normal around the house wearing. I like the Adrenaline (if you pronate) or the Ghost if you have a neutral stride.

They don't! It would be great if they did though. I think I tried Ghost. They were nice, much nicer than my Fila shoes. I think I'll give them another try and see what I think.

Shoes you all suggested:

Asics

Brooks- Adrenaline, Ghost, Cascadia

New Balance- although one poster prefers these for just running errands and things, not for working out

Saucony

Salomon- Speed Cross

Ryka

Nike- Lunarglide and Pegasus

Trying a men's shoe

Trying a wider shoe

Also, ordering a couple of sizes at a time and trying one to two sizes up was a suggestion.

Thank you! 

Edited by IfIOnly

Do you have a local running store?  If you do, I would really try there first.  If you are actually running in the shoes, as opposed to wearing them to run errands and such, you need to run in them before you buy.  At our local running stores, the staff watch you run in a neutral shoe, and then they tell you whether you over-pronate, under-pronate, etc., and bring out a bunch of the right kind of shoes for you to try.  Then you lace them up and run down the sidewalk or on a treadmill in the store until you figure out which one feels the best.  

I wear a Brooks Ravenna in a full size larger than my street shoe size.  I have always worn an 8.5 (once upon a time, even a 9 in a different shoe) in a running shoe, and I've never worn anything but a 7.5 in street shoes.

One more thing--every good running shoe brand makes a dozen or more styles of shoe, and they're made for different types of feet and different types of running.  Don't rule out a Brooks Style X just because you don't like Brooks Style Z--Style X may be for over-pronators, and Style Z may be for runners who need a narrow toe box and extra cushioning but most definitely not for an over-pronator.  The flip side is that you shouldn't be loyal to Adidas just because Adidas Style K works for your neighbor.  Adidas Styles A, B and C may be horrid for both your neighbor and you.  (And for what it's worth, my husband wore the Nike something-or-another for years when he was running a ton, and he has platypus feet--flat and wide, so I wouldn't rule out all Nikes for wide feet.)

• Like 1

We went to the Nike store and I tried on several different styles, all my size.  They ranged from being half an inch too small to an inch too big.  All labeled the same.

I won't buy Nikes without trying them on.  Their quality control leaves much to be desired.  I ended up with a pair from the Under Armour store because they were more consistent and I didn't want to have to deal with Nike's haphazard ways every 6 months.

• Like 1

My feet are between regular and wide too - New Balance and Asics work well for my feet. Nike runs narrow.

• Like 1

Do you have a local running store?  If you do, I would really try there first.  If you are actually running in the shoes, as opposed to wearing them to run errands and such, you need to run in them before you buy.  At our local running stores, the staff watch you run in a neutral shoe, and then they tell you whether you over-pronate, under-pronate, etc., and bring out a bunch of the right kind of shoes for you to try.  Then you lace them up and run down the sidewalk or on a treadmill in the store until you figure out which one feels the best.  

I wear a Brooks Ravenna in a full size larger than my street shoe size.  I have always worn an 8.5 (once upon a time, even a 9 in a different shoe) in a running shoe, and I've never worn anything but a 7.5 in street shoes.

One more thing--every good running shoe brand makes a dozen or more styles of shoe, and they're made for different types of feet and different types of running.  Don't rule out a Brooks Style X just because you don't like Brooks Style Z--Style X may be for over-pronators, and Style Z may be for runners who need a narrow toe box and extra cushioning but most definitely not for an over-pronator.  The flip side is that you shouldn't be loyal to Adidas just because Adidas Style K works for your neighbor.  Adidas Styles A, B and C may be horrid for both your neighbor and you.  (And for what it's worth, my husband wore the Nike something-or-another for years when he was running a ton, and he has platypus feet--flat and wide, so I wouldn't rule out all Nikes for wide feet.)

After reading your post, I found a local running store that will help me find a good shoe fit. Thank your for that and all the other good info.

My feet are between regular and wide too - New Balance and Asics work well for my feet. Nike runs narrow.

Thank you!

Went to the local running store yesterday and ended up with Brooks Transcend 5 for $160.  They are the most cushioned shoe they make. It feels incredible running errands today in these. The Asics at that price and also the most cushioned shoe they make were even more amazing, but they didn't fit my foot quite right, which was such a bummer! They were awesome shoes.  I'm happy though with the Brooks. Also, I found out that I do pronate, so my shoes are for people with that problem too. Thank you, all!

• Like 1

Went to the local running store yesterday and ended up with Brooks Transcend 5 for $160.  They are the most cushioned shoe they make. It feels incredible running errands today in these. The Asics at that price and also the most cushioned shoe they make were even more amazing, but they didn't fit my foot quite right, which was such a bummer! They were awesome shoes.  I'm happy though with the Brooks. Also, I found out that I do pronate, so my shoes are for people with that problem too. Thank you, all!

Forgot to link:  http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/brooks-transcend-5-womens-running-shoes/120263.html