Menu

Losing weight before Christmas?

MissShellyA

Anyone else trying to shed some extra weight before the Holiday? I started 2016 off really well, but after some personal issues I really let myself slip and have since packed on quite a few pounds. I've been telling myself to let it go until Christmas is over, but I'm dreading the idea of looking huge in all the family photos. I've got just about enough time to start a round of 21 Day Fix: https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/21-day-fix-simple-fitness-eating.do, so I'm hoping I can at least shed a little of this extra weight before then.

Anyone else trying to slim down? Maybe we can have get some kind of accountability thread going?

• Like 1

I prefer to concentrate on maintaining my weight during the holidays. From Thanksgiving to Christmas, it's a tough time, with all the stress, gatherings and parties, to stick to a weight-loss diet. But I can indulge a bit then return to my every-day eating habits. Removing that pressure helps me cope with everything else (plus I get to have a few cookies and cocktails). The first of January is a typical time where I reassess my goals for the year (like everyone else) so I prefer to concentrate my efforts after the holiday rush is over.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 2

I am!  

I have about 30 pounds to lose overall. Should have started this last month (or the month before or the month before that  :001_rolleyes: ) but have a wedding to go to in January so I have to get started now or it just won't work. 

I'm  following the 23 Day Fast Metabolism Diet https://hayliepomroy.com/books/the-fast-metabolism-diet/ and am on day 3. 

An accountability thread would be helpful! :)

• Like 2

I started a low carb diet the day after Thanksgiving. I would like to lose 25 pounds. I'll participate in an accountability thread. It's not just about weight loss for me. I want to feel better. I'm tired of being tired.

I am on day 6 of limiting net carbs to 30g a day. 1200 calories. I use My Fitness Pal to track everything. 

Good luck to you!

• Like 2

I am!  I saw a number on the scale this morning that I haven't seen in more than a year.  I have about 20-25 lbs to lose.  I've been doing an intensive Thin Within program since September; TW is focused on dealing with the issues for why we overeat so that change is long term and not just in the moment. I am getting older and the weight loss is more slow going than ever before but I'm going to press on. For different reasons, I've been doing a master cleanse type thing for two weeks now (alternating between the spicy lemonade drink and a raw milk/half and half drink) and usually I'm going nuts after 10 days or so but at this point, I'm not so I'll keep going with it.

My two biggest helps right now:

1) Eat when it's both physically pleasing and emotionally pleasing.  Binging is usually just physically satisfying but not emotionally satisfying.  I want both and purpose to not eat if I know I'm going to be disappointed or whatever afterward.  I'll wait until the timing is right.  Sometimes we think we'll never eat if we do that, but I haven't found that to be the case.  I still get hungry regularly. 

2) Remember that the foods are available another time.  This really helped at Thanksgiving.  We served nothing that couldn't be made pretty easily again so I just tell myself, if I want that later, I can make or buy it again. 

Edited by milovany

I’m doing what I said I’d never do....trying Trim Healthy Mama. I’d only heard about it from others and thought it sounded too crazy. But, then I saw the book at the library a couple weeks ago and checked it out. After reading it, I thought it was something I could actually do. I’m not doing all the stevia, sweeteners, or ‘extras’, just following the basic plan. So far, it’s been pretty easy, and I’m feeling good. Haven’t weighed myself to see if I’ve lost anything, but one benefit is that my reflux has noticeably calmed down.

I didn’t worry about staying ‘on plan’ on Thanksgiving, and ate a normal amount of the foods I like. I’ll do the same for Christmas.

I'm in, too.  :) 

This will be my first no sugar Christmas. I went sugar- and artificial sweetener-free several months ago and have completely lost my taste for chocolate, candy and desserts - something I never, ever thought was possible.

I also switched to a mostly vegetable based diet in late summer and have lost 20 pounds since then (dh has, too). I feel so good eating this way that I'm actually looking forward to eating healthily over the holidays.

• Like 2

The Well Trained Bodies (diet and exercise) thread is an accountability thread where people post whatever they want wrt either diet and/or exercise to keep accountable. Anyone is welcome to join!  

ETA: each thread runs for a month, so the November one is winding up today. A new one for December will go up tomorrow. 

Edited by Laurie4b

I'm trying to lose weight this December, too.  I have a lot of problems with arthritis in one of my legs, and I think I have no choice but to take some weight off of it.   I'm not doing a plan -- that would make me too depressed right now, but I've been successful just eating less by thinking about it.  I guess I would be happy if I could lose even a few pounds, but I really want to make sure that I don't gain. Meh.

• Like 1