Menu

another decluttering question

mlktwins

I have been on a mission the past month to get stuff out of my house.  I've sold $442 worth of stuff in a month :-).  My goal is to have gone through everything by this time next year.  My boys are 12 and not as into toys as they once were.  They want to keep all their Legos and we have the room to store at the moment, so those are staying.  I have a few things I want to keep (Geotrax and the Batman Imaginext set).  Would you keep those if your kids said (at age 12) they didn't want to keep them or would you get them out?  I did sell 2 or 3 other Imaginext sets with no problem.  I was keeping this one because it was a complete set and I thought it might be fun for grandkids.  Same with Geotrax.  Again, I have the room at the moment.  We are getting rid of a lot of other stuff.  

Also, if your kids didn't want to keep their artwork, would you toss it?  Would you scan it and then toss it?  I am ok tossing it, but scanning takes extra time and I have not kept up with it.

I am 50 and my mom kept some of my stuff.  I've looked through a lot of it and that was fun, but I'm getting rid of most of that.  It is freeing.  I don't want my boys to be burdened by stuff like this when they are on their own.  

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 2

I have one large container of geotrax we are keeping. Since they are discontinued, we decided to keep them. It could be for grand kids one day or we have them away one day to someone who might love them as much as my kids did. For now, they stay in the container in the corner.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

I am keeping what's special when my kids get big. For instance my (i mean their) thomas trains are not going anywhere. I'm an emotional kid stuff hoarder, so feel free to ignore me.

I am keeping their Thomas trains (we had the magnetic ones).  I didn't keep the train table though.  I get it :-)!!!

I was keeping their Pez dispensers -- those are now going -- LOL.

I have been on a mission the past month to get stuff out of my house.  I've sold $442 worth of stuff in a month :-).  My goal is to have gone through everything by this time next year.  My boys are 12 and not as into toys as they once were.  They want to keep all their Legos and we have the room to store at the moment, so those are staying.  I have a few things I want to keep (Geotrax and the Batman Imaginext set).  Would you keep those if your kids said (at age 12) they didn't want to keep them or would you get them out?  I did sell 2 or 3 other Imaginext sets with no problem.  I was keeping this one because it was a complete set and I thought it might be fun for grandkids.  Same with Geotrax.  Again, I have the room at the moment.  We are getting rid of a lot of other stuff.  

Also, if your kids didn't want to keep their artwork, would you toss it?  Would you scan it and then toss it?  I am ok tossing it, but scanning takes extra time and I have not kept up with it.

I am 50 and my mom kept some of my stuff.  I've looked through a lot of it and that was fun, but I'm getting rid of most of that.  It is freeing.  I don't want my boys to be burdened by stuff like this when they are on their own.  

I appreciate that my mom and my MIL kept:

Legos

Duplos

Brio train tracks

American girl doll and accessories

Anne of Green Gables book set given by my beloved Grandma

Everything else could (and did) go. And I'm glad. 

Emily

I tend to not keep things " just in case"--ESPECIALLY kid stuff. The few things I've held onto past their usefulness for us, I wish I'd gotten rid of sooner when they could have been more useful to someone else (not out of style, old fashioned, etc). I don't find that most books or toys are timeless, and certainly there will be no shortage of them IF you have grand kids someday.

Others will disagree I know, but that's been my experience.

I am keeping their Thomas trains (we had the magnetic ones). I didn't keep the train table though. I get it :-)!!!

I was keeping their Pez dispensers -- those are now going -- LOL.

Yes I'm about to toss the table because it is trashed and we don't have room. We all still play trains, but never on the table.

My mom saved my My Little Ponies, American Girl Dolls and tons of books and I'm so glad she did.

Edited by Elizabeth86

I would save the set of toys. I got rid of most of the kids' toys, but did keep a big box of Thomas and Brio trains, a tin of matchbox cars, and the Kapla blocks. Sure, it's for the decades-away anticipated grandkids, but it's also handy for when friends with small kids come to play. We had friends over for dinner a few weeks ago and they have 5 and 7 year olds. They were totally entertained with the Kapla and the matchbox cars. 

I haven't touched the kids' Lego. They don't play with it anymore, but they also don't want to get rid of it. It's stored neatly in a closet.

I kept all Little People, Imaginext, and Geotrax.  They got so much play (daily for years and years) that I couldn't bear to part with them.  I don't really save a lot of stuff, so I didn't feel guilty indulging myself with them.

I save about 1 inch worth of work each year, and artwork is included in this.  I only keep the special pieces.  

We are keeping Playmobils because they are mine. My husband feels Playmobil may go extinct so he is actually looking out for sales to get the sets I want.

I have photos of my kids artwork as I tend to take at least a photo each and my kids also would take photos of their artwork. My kids picked which ones they want to hold onto for now and we thrash the rest. My kids wished to see our childhood artwork but my husband and I don’t have any.

I have a gallon tote of Thomas trains and tracks that young guests like to play with.

Art-You can take pics of them, upload them to a place like Shutterfly, and have a book printed of them if you really care about keeping them and looking through them or you can just keep the favorites in a digital file or scrapbook/photo album.

Toys for grandkids- I'm assuming you'll want to shop for things you know your grandkids like when they come along and develop their own interests.  Most of us have a great time with loving grandparents even when we don't have any of mom and dad's childhood toys to play with at their house.

You may not even end up having grandkids or your kids may have children late in life after you're gone. If you do keep something for a generation down the road, keep it in a contained space.  I have a cedar chest for sentimental items.  As I accumulate more items than fit, I go through them again culling the things I care least about. 

I'm like the rest of you.  There are things I am 100% keeping for grandkids or visiting children.  If I don't have grandkids, I'll give them away then:

All the Thomas stuff.  And there's a lot of it.

A bunch of Legos.  I have an obscene amount and one of these days I'll get rid of half of it and still have a lot.

All the Playmobil people.

A marble run that I loved to play with when the kids were napping :)

Wooden blocks in various shapes and sizes 

I have an attic and I have plastic bins and those bins fit nicely in the attic.

I've kept the Brio/Thomas train set, wooden blocks, Little People farm set and alphabet animals, Duplos, Legos, American Girl, Kapla blocks, and some Playmobil.  Those were my dc's favorites.  I want to get rid of the K'Nex and the Ertl farm and ranch sets, since they take up way too much room and no one cares enough to keep them.  The rest of the toys are already gone.  We just have games left.

While I am trying to declutter a bit, I have no problem keeping favorite toys/books, and those can be MY favorites too, not just the kids' favorites. I kept all Little People (we still put our manger and Christmas tree sets up every year), all Lego, a tea set, all American Girl, and about 6 favorite board books.

As we were getting Christmas decorations out of the attic, I found a box I wish I had found before our August garage sale that had some toddler toys in it. There was not much sentimental pull anymore; I posted it on our local gifting economy FB site and they went to another family who can enjoy them now.

• Like 2

While I am trying to declutter a bit, I have no problem keeping favorite toys/books, and those can be MY favorites too, not just the kids' favorites. I kept all Little People (we still put our manger and Christmas tree sets up every year), all Lego, a tea set, all American Girl, and about 6 favorite board books.

As we were getting Christmas decorations out of the attic, I found a box I wish I had found before our August garage sale that had some toddler toys in it. There was not much sentimental pull anymore; I posted it on our local gifting economy FB site and they went to another family who can enjoy them now.

Ihave our Little People nativity in front of me as I type 😀

• Like 1