Menu

Best Prep for SAT 2 Math exams?

The college board has come out with a new book that includes 4 official SAT Math 2 subject tests.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1457309327/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I wouldn't know about this book, but Arcadia had posted about it earlier this fall.

My dd is going to take the test this Saturday and has found the Princeton Review book very helpful.  It is very straightforward and everything is explained clearly. 

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

Here's the book my dd is using:  

https://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Math-Subject-College-Preparation/dp/0804125600/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1511896924&sr=1-3&keywords=SAT+subject+test+math

A lot of people also seem to like the Barron's book, but my dd found it frustrating because it included a fair amount of things she had not covered in her precalculus course with Derek Owens.  https://www.amazon.com/Barrons-SAT-Subject-Test-Level/dp/1438007914/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1511896924&sr=1-1&keywords=SAT+subject+test+math

The Barron's practice tests are known to be significantly tougher than the CB test, so if your student does well on those, they will probably have no trouble with the CB test.  On the other hand, my dd was really stressing because she took too long to complete the Barron's tests.  Maybe they would be easier for her now that she has done some of Saxon Calculus, but the Princeton book seems to be preparing her well for the exam so we have not even tried Barron's again.

• Like 2

Official college board practice tests plus learning or reviewing missed topics. We used a variety of sources on the missed topics, including precalc material not specifically written for the SAT. I also put important formulas and geometry theorems on index cards for DD to memorize on the go.

• Like 1

Here's the book my dd is using:  

https://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Math-Subject-College-Preparation/dp/0804125600/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1511896924&sr=1-3&keywords=SAT+subject+test+math

A lot of people also seem to like the Barron's book, but my dd found it frustrating because it included a fair amount of things she had not covered in her precalculus course with Derek Owens.  https://www.amazon.com/Barrons-SAT-Subject-Test-Level/dp/1438007914/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1511896924&sr=1-1&keywords=SAT+subject+test+math

Interesting. I just completed the enrollment process for D.O. precalculus, but have not yet made the course payment.  Would you reconsider your D.O decision knowing about the things not covered by the class.  I've been going back and force between Thinkwell and D.O.    Decided with D.O for precalculus mainly because he just finished D.O. Alg 2 and wanted to maintain continuity.   However, he did prealg, alg1,  and geometry with Thinkwell.  He would be happy with either. thanks

Interesting. I just completed the enrollment process for D.O. precalculus, but have not yet made the course payment.  Would you reconsider your D.O decision knowing about the things not covered by the class.  I've been going back and force between Thinkwell and D.O.    Decided with D.O for precalculus mainly because he just finished D.O. Alg 2 and wanted to maintain continuity.   However, he did prealg, alg1,  and geometry with Thinkwell.  He would be happy with either. thanks

No, I felt really good about the DO precalculus course.  My dd started preparing for the subject test right after she completed his course and was able to do very well answering the questions on the actual CB practice exams I had, but she was not fast enough.  So, I feel like DO covered everything that needed to be covered, but my dd needed more practice with the concepts, which she got with the beginning of Saxon Calculus.  A lot of people recommend taking that exam right after precalc, but she really needed a bit more time to let the concepts sink in.

The Barron's practice exams (at least for the Math 2 test) are harder than the CB tests.  My dd is not having any trouble at all with Saxon Calculus after using DO for precalc.

• Like 1

seems a little drastic contact Derek Owens first about your question.

See link above that you could include in your correspondence.

He should consider the SAT 2 Math exam in his covered topics list since many colleges want this test for STEM majors.