Menu

Best Kindle Fire Apps for 8-10 year olds

Any recommendations?

We are upgrading from the original Fire to a 7. What apps do you recommend for ages 8-10. I also have a 5 year old but I feel like we have found plenty for him. Free is preferred but I am willing to pay for good apps.

Some of their interests are coding, stop motion, Legos, science and music.

Kindle, Audible, Overdrive.

Daily Art (some adult content).

Bible For Kids might be too immature. I don't have one that old, but I like the app.

Mango, Duolingo, Netflix set to Spanish. We have write it Japanese for hiragana.

Hmmm. Apparently I'm boring. I want the zoom numbers or whatever they're called. The incorrect colored cuisenaire rods.

I have shortcuts to Google Books and audio and visual resources I keep in Google Drive such as Rapid Japanese and signing time.

• Like 1

My dc play a ton of games, but the best free one in my opinion is Monument Valley - problem solving and MC Escheresque buildings.

The Room is another problem solving game that is popular here. The music is eerie, but that's it, apparently.

They play Minecraft on there, but I don't know much about that.

My Singing Monsters is cute.

If you decide to pay, look at the Dragonbox games. Those are worth their price. Plus, if your Kindles are linked to your account, you only buy the games once and then load them on whatever devices you want.

• Like 1

My dc play a ton of games, but the best free one in my opinion is Monument Valley - problem solving and MC Escheresque buildings.

The Room is another problem solving game that is popular here. The music is eerie, but that's it, apparently.

They play Minecraft on there, but I don't know much about that.

My Singing Monsters is cute.

If you decide to pay, look at the Dragonbox games. Those are worth their price. Plus, if your Kindles are linked to your account, you only buy the games once and then load them on whatever devices you want.

My son is dying to get Minecraft. I need to learn more about it.

We have DragonBox on all of our devices. Yes, it means that I actually paid for it twice, since you can't "transfer" it between iPads and Kindles. But it's worth every penny (even when you pay twice, like us), IMO, and I'm usually a bit of a scrooge over paid apps (if a free one does the job just fine, why bother?) 

I wish code.org had an app, but we do that on our kindles sometimes just using the web browser interface. It's small, but do-able. 

• Like 1