Menu

What is a reasonable price range for gifting a piano teacher?

TrustAndLove

I think this will depend on the individual.  We usually give our piano teacher a gift of homemade candy.  One year we bought her some chocolate truffles, but I could tell she was very uncomfortable receiving a purchased gift, so when possible we've made our own treats.   

We really like our teacher, too! We usually do either a box of chocolates ($25-$30) or gift card ($25). But, I'm not sure if our price range is adequate enough because I see a few people contribute $50 to teachers appreciation dinner and presnets during teachers appreciation week.

I was a dance teacher for a few years so this post is based on my experience as well as talking to other teachers. If you can afford it, I recommend the price of a lesson in cash or a cash-equivalent gift card included in a Christmas card. Teachers receive so many handmade treats, chocolates, mugs, tchotckies, etc over the years. Most of the treats end up uneaten and any knick knacks stored away until it's time to declutter. Store gift cards often end up lost or unused. But really, I was grateful for thanks and appreciation from my students during the holiday season. There are times where you feel like you're hitting your head against a brick wall, and some acknowledgement (it doesn't need to be anything other than a card) made me feel fantastic.

• Like 3

I always find these threads odd until I remember tipping is a big part of your culture. If a teacher had 20 students at $65 a lesson and they all gave her one lessons worth she would get $1300 worth of stuff which seems rather excessive.

Well, not everyone gives a full lesson as a holiday bonus. Sometimes it’s just a card or small amount. Plus there’s usually no lessons during the two weeks around Christmas and New Years which means no money from teaching during that time. Giving money to music teachers during the holidays certainly isn’t expected by the teacher in my experience and I didn’t feel anything more or less towards my students for any or no gifts.

The OP was talking about $25 per lesson. If it won’t hurt her financially, it’s a good amount to give. If it would hurt her, don’t give it. But the $65 per lesson comes to $62000 per year ($65 x 20 kids x 48 weeks). I don’t know many music teachers making that much from teaching.