Menu

Common App Home School Questions

It seems that many of you used one of the transcript slots for course descriptions.  How then did you handle the following question under the Home School tab of the CA? Did you just say "See Course Descriptions"?

If the student has taken courses from a distance learning program, traditional secondary school, or institution of higher education, please list the course title and content, sponsoring institution, instruction setting and schedule, and frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.). In addition, if the student has taken any standardized testing other than those listed on page 2 of the Common Application, please also describe below.

Also, what qualifies as a homeschooler's assocation?

Are you a member of a homeschooler's association?

I'm sure I am over-thinking this entire thing, but I do NOT want to mess up. My son is a MNMSF, so I haven't completely ruined his life; but everyone else's course descriptions and homeschool journeys sound so much more amazing than mine/ours that I become filled with doubt!  : )

Thank you for your help!!

Edited by QumaCote
  • Like 2

I provided course descriptions for home based courses (meaning the ones I gave the initial credit for) as a second transcript.  I put descriptions of outside coursework (from accredited, credit-granting institutions) in the box provided.  The descriptions of the home based courses were much more detailed than the ones for the outside classes because I had more knowledge of what went on in them.  For the outside classes, I just copied the published descriptions, listed the resources used, and said the thing about how often they met.  

I never understood the purpose of the homeschool association question, but since we didn't belong to anything that might possibly be considered one, I just said no.

I said "see School Profile" for most of this section, but I also said that we did not belong to a homeschool association.  I said that we had used standardized testing to meet homeschool requirements, but did not include any testing results.  I know others on here have added things like National Latin Exam scores.  I did go into a little more detail about the type of interaction my son had with the courses he took outside of our home.  I wanted to be clear that he does get out of the house quite a bit and that I don't just keep him locked in the basement, lol.

• Like 2

I put "See School Profile" and "See Course Descriptions" for outside classes.  In my school profile, I had a section on "educational partners"  where I described each one of the outside providers we used. In the course descriptions, I did list more detailed information about each class, whether it was an outside class or a homegrown one.   I totally forgot about the National Latin Exam and the Mythology exam when I put that information out there, but it is in dd's honors and awards section.

I also said that we didn't belong to a homeschool association because I only belong to a few online only organizations.   The only statewide one we have is a Christian organization that wouldn't have me as a member (not Christian enough).