Menu

She "needs" a bra... what do I need to know?

bolt.

I'm trying to understand all of the 'tank' suggestions. Do people really wear an entire tank top under their various t-shirts, tops and dresses all day, every day?

In my imagination having an extra layer all over (especially around the waist) would seem a lot more bulky and intrusive than just a bra or bralette.

It’s cold here now. I appreciate having an extra layer under my clothes.

In the summer it’s warm. I appreciate being able to go around in just a tank top.

On the half dozen days that aren’t cold or hot, I wear a very thin tank top under a t-shirt or a heavier tank under a long sleeve shirt. Having four kids has left me with abdominal muscles that definitely show the wear and having a tank top to help hold those in place doesn’t hurt things either.

I'm trying to understand all of the 'tank' suggestions. Do people really wear an entire tank top under their various t-shirts, tops and dresses all day, every day?

In my imagination having an extra layer all over (especially around the waist) would seem a lot more bulky and intrusive than just a bra or bralette.

Lots of tops are so thin or sheer you have to wear a cami or tank with them anyway.

Probably a pointless reply but... I had bought my kiddo sports bras for early development when she was 11 (cycle started at 10) only to be asked to please buy binders when he turned 13. Just throwing that possibility out there for other parents.

Probably a pointless reply but... I had bought my kiddo sports bras for early development when she was 11 (cycle started at 10) only to be asked to please buy binders when he turned 13. Just throwing that possibility out there for other parents.

I actually do wear an extra camisole under everything. It makes me feel more comfortable somehow. I have a set of encyclopedias and wearing one that's pretty elastic seems to help provide a little bit of extra support when worn over the bra.

• Like 1

With my 10yo, we went to Target and bought the soft, cozy bralette-I can't remember the brand.  I believe it came in a pack of 3.  I bought one pack so she could try them out.  She really liked them so we went back and bought a few more packs because she wanted to wear them at night too.  My DD is just at the beginning stages, but she came to me and said she was really sensitive and just wearing a shirt or having her blankets hurt.  Off to the store we went the next day.

Mine are thin and form fitting.  Not bulky at all.

This is a graphic I actually keep on my phone for bra shopping, it is hugely helpful.

https://www.thirdlove.com/blogs/unhooked/sister-sizes-the-bra-secret-every-woman-should-know

I didn't know they were called Sister Sizes. But I do know that when trying on bras, one of two different sizes fits. Sometimes the D size is what is most comfortable and sometimes the DD size fits better. Its one reason I need to try on bras. (if the numbers on this are correct, must be 42D and 40DD.  Though I usually have to look at the number on the bra I am wearing to remember what the numbers are exactly. Could be 38 and 40)