Menu

If you knew your kid was going to PS what did you/would you cover?

Much to my surprise, my ds has told me he wants to go to PS. At 13 we are letting him make that choice but have told him he has to wait until next school year. Since his birthdate is 1 day before the local cut-off I am putting him in the lower grade so he is not the absolute youngest in his class, when he starts next August he will be newly 14 in the 8th grade.

I'm working on finding out what I can about curriculum, placement, and enrollment but he just told me not quite 2 weeks ago I've not found out much yet. He started Algebra in Sep. but I did not expect him to finish this year, so I'm planning on him retaking Algebra next year as he needs lots of repetition and is not a fast worker. I'm the most nervous about English. We are doing WWS1 now but I'm considering changes things up depending on what I find out about the expectations they have. Dh's aunt taught English for 9th and 10th graders at the school (she now does alternative school) and she has agreed to critique his work for me, so we know where we stand. I'm hoping that the outside input will help give a more objective opinion and also lend some credibility to my expectations (or let me know that I need to back off or step up). 

I'm torn between wanting to make sure we really work hard to fill any gaps to wanting to enjoy this time we have left, I guess I'm looking for some balance. I'm also thinking that I need to think about time management and study skills. He was diagnosed with ADHD 3 yrs ago but as of now absolutely does not want any accommodations. On the plus side, the school has gone to using Chromebooks almost exclusively for all classes, as typing is one of the accommodations he is supposed to have I feel a little easier knowing most of his work will be typed. 

He works from a checklist now. He loves reading and loves discussion. His memory and processing speed are slow relative to everything else, although both have improved (we specifically worked on working memory) but still his brain needs a lot of repetition.

Any words of wisdom? I know there have been previous threads about this but I'm not sure what sequence of words to search.

Honestly, DD had 5!! homeschool girl friends switch to public school in 8th grade (this year), and they were all over the board in "preparedness". They are all in different schools (noting because of the relative consistency in the experience regardless of school.)

One had been exclusively unschooled and suddenly was self-motivated to beef up her math and writing over the summer. She's an incredibly smart kid and got up to grade level quickly (yes, she was one of those unschooled kids you hear about!). Another had a 2e diagnosis and the school covered re-testing and got her set up with an IEP. They're the ones I know the best, but DD said they've all transitioned fine with school and social life. DD still has no interest in switching!

I honestly would do my best to convince him that having accommodations just means it's setting him up for success, starting at the same point as everyone else. I know some kids seem to think it's "cheating". But, even if you don't want a formal IEP, you'll be more successful if you at least talk about his learning style and diagnosis with the school. When DD was in 4th grade, we had a brief consideration of school, and I had talked to them about her 2e diagnosis (similar to your son's), and we still had the recent recommendations from our neuropsychologist evaluation ready to go. 

DD and I have been having this discussion regularly this year (8th grade) because I've explained that if she commits to homeschooling for 9th grade, she's committing to it for high school because of the challenges with credits, etc. So, I think 8th grade is probably the best time to experiment!

Edited by deerforest
  • Like 4

My daughter started PS in 6th grade & is in 10th now. My son is homeschooling again (he’s in 8th) but did attend public school for 5th, 6th and 7th.

Things I would focus on.

Note taking from a black board. The teachers here give a lot of notes and move quickly. My kids adjusted fine, but they both commented on this when starting PS

Writing. It’s very specific where we live and common core aligned. They use the PEEL method & it is really drilled into the kids from elementary through high school. So in your shoes, I’d talk to the school about how they teach writing.

Math. Again, I’d probably check in with the school. Our math curriculum is pretty close to Khan Academy, so I’d simply use that as prep if my son were ever to return (which he isn’t).

Aside from that, your son will adapt easily I’m sure ðŸ‘🻠No worries.

• Like 1

At 14, he will be one of the oldest in his class, a year older than most of the other students.

I don't think you need to worry about "gaps.:" Every child in that school will have gaps of some kind. As long as his English and math skills are generally good, he'll do fine.

We all do things differently, so if you're already doing this particular thing, never mind. :-) He needs to know that when he turns in a paper or takes a test or whatnot, the grade he gets is the grade he gets.

I would not give Ds a choice about accommodations, 504 or IEP. Even if he has nothing else, extra for tests can be invaluable. The option for having extra time on SAT/ACT tests is something a lot of people want, but College Board does not take kindly to students who develop a special need right before PSATs, or so I've heard, lol. So doing that now is a plus. Does your son realize that students with IEPs can be in honors and AP classes?

• Like 2

When DD started, the only trouble she had was adjusting to their math scope, sequence, and grading rubrics. I’m not sure there’s anyway to prepare for that, really. Showing her work, all parts of it, was a tough but necessary lesson to learn. The ELA transition was seamless.

You might check to see if they offer a ‘study skills’ or AVID class as an elective. This is really helping DD stay on track with planning, note-taking and due dates. It also doesn’t prevent her from taking advanced academic classes.

• Like 1

At 14, he will be one of the oldest in his class, a year older than most of the other students.

I don't think you need to worry about "gaps.:" Every child in that school will have gaps of some kind. As long as his English and math skills are generally good, he'll do fine.

We all do things differently, so if you're already doing this particular thing, never mind. :-) He needs to know that when he turns in a paper or takes a test or whatnot, the grade he gets is the grade he gets.

With a birthday right at the cut-off time, he will be older than most of the other students in his class, but by less than a year.  The other choice is for him to be younger than most of the other students in his class, again by less than a year.

• Like 3

Honestly, DD had 5!! homeschool girl friends switch to public school in 8th grade (this year), and they were all over the board in "preparedness". They are all in different schools (noting because of the relative consistency in the experience regardless of school.)

One had been exclusively unschooled and suddenly was self-motivated to beef up her math and writing over the summer. She's an incredibly smart kid and got up to grade level quickly (yes, she was one of those unschooled kids you hear about!). Another had a 2e diagnosis and the school covered re-testing and got her set up with an IEP. They're the ones I know the best, but DD said they've all transitioned fine with school and social life. DD still has no interest in switching!

I honestly would do my best to convince him that having accommodations just means it's setting him up for success, starting at the same point as everyone else. I know some kids seem to think it's "cheating". But, even if you don't want a formal IEP, you'll be more successful if you at least talk about his learning style and diagnosis with the school. When DD was in 4th grade, we had a brief consideration of school, and I had talked to them about her 2e diagnosis (similar to your son's), and we still had the recent recommendations from our neuropsychologist evaluation ready to go. 

DD and I have been having this discussion regularly this year (8th grade) because I've explained that if she commits to homeschooling for 9th grade, she's committing to it for high school because of the challenges with credits, etc. So, I think 8th grade is probably the best time to experiment!

I had planned on talking to the school and teachers about him. I know they would redo evals anyway, from what I've seen happen to others and I don't know if he'd pass or fail enough for them to classify as needing help by their standards. I'd have to study that as far as what they are required by law to do. When friend's kids went in, even with brand new NP evals in hand they took 90 days to do their own evals before giving any kind of accommodations, her son had a slew of issues and failed for 90 days straight.

I didn't expect this out of ds and he is the one I most wanted to school all the way through to give him enough chance for his brain to mature. But he is starting to grow up, he wants independence and I've really seen him thrive in classes we've done for Scouts and homeschool. He has always loved schooling with me, he is not one to just like to go off so I've had thoughts that despite my plans otherwise, I needed to look at starting him on some outside courses of some sort. But this was a bit of a blindside, he doesn't really have any hs friends, the 2 boys closest to being friends both went back to school this year. I've planned activities this year but there aren't many his age and he is the only boy that really participates. I didn't realize he was lonely though, I've tried to talk to check in with him but he's the stereotypical tightlipped boy. He is beyond excited about going to school, I'm trying very hard to be excited for him although I'm grieving and feel lost not planning for him.

My daughter started PS in 6th grade & is in 10th now. My son is homeschooling again (he’s in 8th) but did attend public school for 5th, 6th and 7th.

Things I would focus on.

Note taking from a black board. The teachers here give a lot of notes and move quickly. My kids adjusted fine, but they both commented on this when starting PS

Writing. It’s very specific where we live and common core aligned. They use the PEEL method & it is really drilled into the kids from elementary through high school. So in your shoes, I’d talk to the school about how they teach writing.

Math. Again, I’d probably check in with the school. Our math curriculum is pretty close to Khan Academy, so I’d simply use that as prep if my son were ever to return (which he isn’t).

Aside from that, your son will adapt easily I’m sure ðŸ‘🻠No worries.

You know I think dh's aunt mentioned something about PEEL, she said she would get me some info. I do know one of the ELA teachers too and plan to hit her up to details so he can practice now at home.

Note taking would be good to practice, he's had only limited practice with various Scout activities. 

If they use any Khan that would be easy to practice, we've done a bit just for extra work. I was going to get in touch with them about Math anyway, I don't know if they do placement tests and would like a look at their math books if at all possible, maybe if nothing else I can snag some of my niece's homework sheets.

I would not give Ds a choice about accommodations, 504 or IEP. Even if he has nothing else, extra for tests can be invaluable. The option for having extra time on SAT/ACT tests is something a lot of people want, but College Board does not take kindly to students who develop a special need right before PSATs, or so I've heard, lol. So doing that now is a plus. Does your son realize that students with IEPs can be in honors and AP classes?

Tests are the thing I most worry about. In his eval it lists 504 accommodations. I don't think honors or AP is much of a concern (I don't think he even has a clue about any of that), I *think* he just doesn't want to be different. He is my kid that has been the easiest going but puberty does strange things to kids.

When DD started, the only trouble she had was adjusting to their math scope, sequence, and grading rubrics. I’m not sure there’s anyway to prepare for that, really. Showing her work, all parts of it, was a tough but necessary lesson to learn. The ELA transition was seamless.

You might check to see if they offer a ‘study skills’ or AVID class as an elective. This is really helping DD stay on track with planning, note-taking and due dates. It also doesn’t prevent her from taking advanced academic classes.

Looking at the schedule I thought they had a full hour for study hall but talking to my SiL(my niece is in 8th this year so I'm pumping them for info) it is a combo hour of lunch and work time rolled into one. Since they do so much work on the Chromebooks they try not to assign much for at home but I have heard they have math homework(which is fine, then I can help him if needed) and my niece had some English project to work on, which from the description was making a poster about a poem but being 13 she isn't the most helpful. I didn't see an option for another study time but they do have 2 elective slots I know. I've not seen specific course lists, only the general schedule. I've been harping on ds about showing his work, I've told him that it will not be optional with attending school.

With a birthday right at the cut-off time, he will be older than most of the other students in his class, but by less than a year.  The other choice is for him to be younger than most of the other students in his class, again by less than a year.

Yes, but let's not get into that. I knew Ellie would pipe up b/c she ALWAYS has to when it comes to grade levels. It is not something I wish to discuss, my mind is made up, with being a boy with ADHD born a day before the cut-off it is a no-brainer. 

My kids did a mix throughout high school, and what I did was look at the high school's website on their yearly requirements.  That kind of gave me an idea of where their students are at as freshmen.  I'd probably mostly work at trying to keep him up with math, science, and English.  (I mean, within a certain range.)  So for example, most students at the PS here go into Biology in 9th grade after having Physical Science in 8th grade.  So, I'd teach him Physical Science in 8th grade.  And, most PS students here seem to take Algebra in 9th grade, so I'd teach Pre-Algebra in 8th grade.  Anyway, there are many exceptions of course, but knowing the school's general yearly high school requirements really helped.

My ds was a year older than most too, and it worked out.  :)

Yes, but let's not get into that. I knew Ellie would pipe up b/c she ALWAYS has to when it comes to grade levels. It is not something I wish to discuss, my mind is made up, with being a boy with ADHD born a day before the cut-off it is a no-brainer. 

But you didn't have to be snarky about it. Goodness. :crying:

I wouldn’t stress about academics. I’d work on soft skills; put your name on your paper, keep an organized notebook, write down your assignments, and learn how to show your work for your teacher. I’d also work on patience, dealing with frustration, nodding and smiling when things you can’t change are dumb, etc.

All my kids are back in school and the things above have been the biggest issues. Academics have not been an issue. Even the ones I considered behind or strugglers have been just fine or ahead.

• Like 3

My daughter did similar this year in throwing us off with sudden plans. She told me one week before applications were due that she wanted to try to apply one of the secondary schools for next year's entry. It's pretty much random allocation (all applicants take an exam but it's to ensure a 'representative comprehensive cohort' so some are taken from each ability level along a bell curve), with the numbers applying and the numbers taken in, she has less 20% chance of getting in and she says she will remain home educated if she doesn't get in so I've been debating what to tweak on the unlikely chance this is our last year. 

I think you're plan to get outside help on writing could help you and him get clarity and likely some calm over what skills to work on and such. Otherwise, I agree with others on trying to help him see accommodations as a way to give everyone as level playing field as possible so people can see his full abilities - everyone get accommodations, some are just seen as more normal than others (glasses, cars, bags, lights can all be seen accommodations for common human limitations - we all have them even if some of mine are different to yours). I know this is difficult, pretty much everyone I know has gone through the 'but I shouldn't really use this, I can do it without..." and it often ends up with frazzled frustrated people. Other than that, focusing on soft skills including study skills and systems he can use as well as maybe looking to see if there is any literature or similar that you'd really like to share with him now while you have more time for it is how I'm going about it. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t stress about academics. I’d work on soft skills; put your name on your paper, keep an organized notebook, write down your assignments, and learn how to show your work for your teacher. I’d also work on patience, dealing with frustration, nodding and smiling when things you can’t change are dumb, etc.

All my kids are back in school and the things above have been the biggest issues. Academics have not been an issue. Even the ones I considered behind or strugglers have been just fine or ahead.

My daughter did similar this year in throwing us off with sudden plans. She told me one week before applications were due that she wanted to try to apply one of the secondary schools for next year's entry. It's pretty much random allocation (all applicants take an exam but it's to ensure a 'representative comprehensive cohort' so some are taken from each ability level along a bell curve), with the numbers applying and the numbers taken in, she has less 20% chance of getting in and she says she will remain home educated if she doesn't get in so I've been debating what to tweak on the unlikely chance this is our last year. 

I think you're plan to get outside help on writing could help you and him get clarity and likely some calm over what skills to work on and such. Otherwise, I agree with others on trying to help him see accommodations as a way to give everyone as level playing field as possible so people can see his full abilities - everyone get accommodations, some are just seen as more normal than others (glasses, cars, bags, lights can all be seen accommodations for common human limitations - we all have them even if some of mine are different to yours). I know this is difficult, pretty much everyone I know has gone through the 'but I shouldn't really use this, I can do it without..." and it often ends up with frazzled frustrated people. Other than that, focusing on soft skills including study skills and systems he can use as well as maybe looking to see if there is any literature or similar that you'd really like to share with him now while you have more time for it is how I'm going about it. 

Good luck to your daughter.  

You both bring up good points about study skills and organization. I'm putting that on my list, I did a past search on WTM and have a couple of resources lined up. 

Foreign Language...I'd get the student ready for where the class will start. 

Keyboarding - improve speed

Pick a sport..if joining a fall team, there will be summer things that need to be done and possibly equipment to be acquired.

Disregard if sports or FL is not offered, but do pick an ec. 

I don't think they offer FL in Jr. High here. He thinks he wants to join Cross Country but that is it. I'm not sure about their process, that is good thing to ask about. I don't think it is uber competitive but that is a good thing to ask about. I'm not even sure what all sports or EC's they offer. I have talked to him about what type of electives he would like to think but I don't the chances of getting what you want.

He's keyboarding is pretty darn good. He went through Typing Instructer and we did speed and accuracy drills for awhile. He can type correctly and is way faster than any other kid I've seen.

My son has trouble getting stuff turned in (that he has completed but then loses or forgets about). He also has trouble understanding grading scales in prioritizing things.

For example -- in some classes a quiz will count for much more than homework.

In some classes tests really don't count for that much. There is no reason for him to be overly nervous for a test sometimes, and other times he should be more concerned about a quiz.

He also needs to understand he can't get any zeros on homework. Show him some examples of what a zero will do to his grade.

There are bound to be some slip-ups and stuff he is sure he turned in. You may want to copy his completed homework at home and keep it in a folder. I don't but I know people who do, so their kids don't have to re-do everything if it is lost. I let my son redo it at this point (he could copy it at home if he wanted to).

My son takes a while to "figure out" a new grade and new teachers, he doesn't just "know" things that I would have known when I was in school. So he takes more time to figure out how things work every year. Then he usually starts doing better once he has the hang of it and has a routine and understands the expectations.

In middle school I think kids have come from different elementary schools and may have moved in to the district, so it's not like all the kids have had identical preparation anyway. They won't have had the same teachers in middle school, either, and teachers do things differently from each other, too. I think that part of things will be fine.

• Like 2