Menu

PSA: Before you buy eyeglasses, watch this short video

Lanny

And who are their competitors?  My daughter wants some new frames. 

I'm not sure. The only company our family has experience with is ZenniOptical.com and that was very positive, so we will order from Zenni again.  I have seen mentions here on WTM where people have purchased from other companies and have also been happy with their purchases.  My wife and DD need to get new prescriptions, so they can order new eyeglasses from Zenni.

I've been very happy with Zenni. My first pair didn't fit quite the way I wanted, but once I had those numbers, I was able to order a second pair that I've had for several years. So for about $40 total, I have a regular pair and a backup. I'm trying to encourage my kids to give it a shot. They're nervous about "trying" on glasses online, but even if they have to order twice, it's still a huge savings from anywhere else.

• Like 1

Just Monday I took my kids for eye exams. One kid needed an updated prescription. Thinking I was being clever, I decided we would use the same frames and just switch out the lenses. They charged me $35 to use our own frames. *smh*

For my glasses -- the frames are the least expensive part of the whole deal. The lens are Much more expensive.

• Like 5

I used Zeni for me, and it was okay. I wouldn’t ever use them for a child though. We’ve used costco and Walmart for their glasses. My kids need adjustments on their glasses from time to time, where would you do that if you bought glasses online.

We buy my son's through Zenni (He's age 10). It has not been a problem yet.  What kind of adjustments do you get done?

• Like 1

Just Monday I took my kids for eye exams. One kid needed an updated prescription. Thinking I was being clever, I decided we would use the same frames and just switch out the lenses. They charged me $35 to use our own frames. *smh*

Our eye doc only charged us for the lenses when we did that—and we hadn’t even bought them at her shop.

We’ve been pretty happy with Zenni and Coastal.

• Like 1

I used Zeni for me, and it was okay. I wouldn’t ever use them for a child though. We’ve used costco and Walmart for their glasses. My kids need adjustments on their glasses from time to time. Where would you do that if you bought glasses online?

I just went to Walmart to have an adjustment on mine. I also bought glasses cleaner from them even though there wasn’t any charge.

• Like 2

This is very interesting. I had an eye exam two weeks ago and ordered new glasses there, most of which insurance covered. But I need new sunglasses. DH had said that Zenni didn't have good quality glasses but maybe I'll give them a try.

My sunglasses are from Zenni and are good enough for me.

• Like 2

I've been buying my family's glasses from eyebuydirect for about 6-7 years now.  Last eye doctor visit my glasses before insurance were going to be $700 (I have very bad vision) insurance paid for just under 1/2.  Online they were $120 ($30 of which were the frames I chose).

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 2

I buy mine from Zenni.  I'm terrible about keeping glasses and always have been - I lose them, break them, scratch them, etc.  I go through 4 pairs a year at least.  When I was in HS and on my parents' insurance, it covered a pair every year; I'd wear the pair for about 3 months, then lose them or break them irreparably and have to either do without (I am pretty blind) or improvise.  One great idea I had at one point was to go through the glasses bin at the thrift store - they had hundreds of pairs.  One or two of them was usually pretty close to my prescription; they were never pretty but I could see :)

So now I am quite grateful to spend $6.95 plus shipping 4x per year (really I buy 4 pairs at a time once a year) for my actual prescription :)

• Like 6

We have had a great experience buying glasses from Zenni. For the price of one pair of glasses that is partially paid for by eye insurance I can buy my son three to four pairs of glasses. The optometrist charged something like $75 dollars to make the lenses from polycarbonate (important to use with kids because they are 10 times more impact resistant than plastic or glass and they are lightweight).  Zenni added 9 dollars to the price of the glasses. So the frame, with the polycarbonate lenses, anti-reflective glare, and his name written on the inside arm of the glasses is a total of $39.00 at Zenni.  My son needs glasses just to see up close - reading/writing so I wanted to get him several pairs - one for his desk at school, one for his desk at home, one for his nightstand.  I ordered three pairs at first. Then over the next couple of months he decided he really liked one pair and felt they were the most comfortable. So I bought another pair of those. No way I was going to do that if I were being charged over 200 dollars per pair. 

• Like 2

I don’t recommend Zenni for more difficult prescriptions. I think for simple ones they’re fine though.

I absolutely agree! Ordering online is not for everyone and it isn’t always about cost. Neither Zenni nor Costco can make my glasses, my Rx is too strong for them. Target can do it at this point, but I don’t know their upper limit. The frame cost is the least of my concerns, though. A pair of glasses for me tops $360 and it’s because of the lenses, not the frames.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

I just ordered 3 pairs from Zenni. I really hope I like them. Because it's really hard to choose frames online even with all of the features that help.

I have 2 pairs that I ordered from them a few years ago and one of them is great, the other pair feels uncomfortable. The lenses are good for my prescription though.

• Like 1

This is very interesting. I had an eye exam two weeks ago and ordered new glasses there, most of which insurance covered. But I need new sunglasses. DH had said that Zenni didn't have good quality glasses but maybe I'll give them a try.

Your DH is wrong. Let him read the response that mentioned a Pediatric Ophthalmologist recommending Zenni.

My wife and DD love the eyeglasses they have from Zenni. Much better than eyeglasses purchased locally that cost far more. Especially the previous ones my wife had. That Frame was garbage.

However, after my wife sat on her Zenni eyeglasses, about 5 times, the Temples broke.,, She wants to buy a different frame where the lens is larger, for her new glasses (Bifocals). New prescription is needed so she can order new eyeglasses.

Zenni has on their web site, information about how to make Adjustments and also how to replace the lenses. If my wife was happy with the small lens size in the frame she has now, if they still sell that Frame, one can buy it for 1/2 price and replace the lenses in a few minutes. It isn't Rocket Science to replace the lenses in a frame.  

• Like 1

I don’t recommend Zenni for more difficult prescriptions. I think for simple ones they’re fine though.

I was wondering about this. My prescription is quite complicated, and occasionally even hard to get right with in-store measuring. I would love the savings, though!

• Like 1