Menu

Where to get family photos?

Slache

When my kids were little, we used Sears. I don't know if you can find a photo studio there any more, but it was inexpensive. My SIL used Pennys.

The last few times, we have gone to Portrait Innovations. On the one hand, you can watch for coupons that eliminate the sitting fee and give you an inexpensive package. On the other hand, their photographers have to take a certain number of pictures and poses with a variety of backdrops, and then you sit with them in front of a computer screen for a long time, picking out what you want. The pricing is confusing, because they have all sorts of packages and freebies that go with them, but there isn't a written list of the costs. They will say things like, "the more poses you get, the cheaper your package can be per picture," etc. It can be confusing.

With that said, we've liked the quality. And we did go in one time and ONLY got the one pose that came free with the coupon. We resisted all of the other really cute pictures. We got a pile of photos for $9.99, all different sizes, but the same photo on each. It was a little awkward to sit there and refuse to buy anything else, but I was upfront about it.

So it can be very expensive there, or very cheap, if you can resist the add-ons.

One more thing about Portrait Innovations... when my kids were really little, we just wanted one good family photo, and they insisted on taking dozens. My kids were restless and not cooperating very well, and it just got overwhelming. I told them we needed to stop with what we had. The photographer insisted on continuing. I think they have to take a certain number of photos as a job requirement. So if your little ones will not be patient, that could be an issue.

Some of the other places could operate similarly; I don't know. I liked the photos from PI enough to return in later years when my kids were older, but I don't really like their system.

I àgree with the PP about Portrait Innovations. They always have a coupon for a 1 pose package and no sitting fee. I think I have purchased just the package one time and I was very honest about my plan to just get the coupon pose before we started. I still had to sit and decline all the other pictures.

• Like 1