Menu

Any traditional Thanksgiving food you don't like/can't stand/won't eat?

DawnM

None of my family will eat Pumpkin pie.  We will eat pumpkin bread or muffins, just not pumpkin pie.  I have only had Thanksgiving at my house or in restaurants (because we were moving or on a vacation).  Some of the restaurants had buffet- then I skip things like candied yams, jello things,creamed onions.  We have Thankgiving almost always at our house and we control what we have.  Except for adding a store bought Pumpkin or Pecan (last year I made a chocolate pecan pie- this year I bought one- but will make my homemade pie another time) .  I made a cranberry tart. 

Congealed salad seems to be a big one that people love or hate. My mom makes one with cranberries, celery, pineapple, pecans, in cranberry or cherry jello. I think it's good, and i look forward to it.

When you call it congealed salad - it's not as appealing. Cranberry relish is what we called it but it does have jello in it. Not really a relish.

Anyone else Not grow up with the infamous green bean casserole? I had never even heard of it until I was 25, and had Thanksgiving away from home for the first time.

My family always had green peas or plain geen beans as the green veggie for Thanksgiving. No casserole. We usually had a green salad too. Occasionally Brussels sprouts or broccoli might be on the table, but always simply prepared, never in a casserole. And never in place of the peas or beans, which all the kids would eat.

I scooped my peas into the mashed potatoes, of course.

Congealed salad seems to be a big one that people love or hate. My mom makes one with cranberries, celery, pineapple, pecans, in cranberry or cherry jello. I think it's good, and i look forward to it.

I think the name is holding it back. Congealed doesn't sound very appetizing.  With a better name and some good promotion it could be a popular dish. 

Edited by Annie G

I hate green bean casserole by some cruel twist of fate I always seem to get asked to bring it to Thanksgiving dinner. Blurg!

They asked us to bring it one year, so I roasted whole fresh green beans with olive oil and a bunch of chopped garlic.  Several cousins went nuts about it, in a good way -- Cousin Russel* ate buckets of the beans.  Thereafter they became the Official Green Beans, and I was the Official Maker of Green Beans.

*Cousin Russell's wife is the one who brings the sweet potato abomination.  I wanted to take over sweet potatoes from her, but figured there's a limit to how much you can push these things.

• Like 2

This thread makes me laugh.  I LOVE all the corny, sugar-filled Thanksgiving foods!!!  In years past while living in the US, I would eat everything except turkey.  I didn't hate turkey, just didn't like it enough to take up stomach room when I could be eating green bean casserole, marshmallow sweet potatoes, biscuits, stuffing...  

• Like 2

They asked us to bring it one year, so I roasted whole fresh green beans with olive oil and a bunch of chopped garlic.  Several cousins went nuts about it, in a good way -- Cousin Russel* ate buckets of the beans.  Thereafter they became the Official Green Beans, and I was the Official Maker of Green Beans.

*Cousin Russell's wife is the one who brings the sweet potato abomination.  I wanted to take over sweet potatoes from her, but figured there's a limit to how much you can push these things.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

• Like 1

I think the name is holding it back. Congealed doesn't sound very appetizing.  With a better name and some good promotion it could be a popular dish. 

Agreed. Congealed is just not a nice word. Not a good word for any kind of food. Sounds icky.

My mom makes a cranberry salad that is very good. We always called it "cranberry salad" or "cranberry jello". 

Anyone else Not grow up with the infamous green bean casserole? I had never even heard of it until I was 25, and had Thanksgiving away from home for the first time.

My family always had green peas or plain geen beans as the green veggie for Thanksgiving. No casserole. We usually had a green salad too. Occasionally Brussels sprouts or broccoli might be on the table, but always simply prepared, never in a casserole. And never in place of the peas or beans, which all the kids would eat.

I scooped my peas into the mashed potatoes, of course.

Never had it. 

• Like 1

My sister loves greenie beanie casserole. I hate it. DH played intermediary for me and warned all 12 of our guests (we have a tiny oven overseas) that they would need to bring a scratch side dish with no funny business (nothing canned and no weird ingredients). All but one guest complied (the mashed potatoes and gravy bringer...🤢). It turned out amazing, truly. The food was fantastic and there was no canned/over cooked crap, just fresh sautéed veggies. I was soooooo relieved!!

Edited by Sneezyone