Menu

Have we had a Thanksgiving pie thread yet?

Amira

Seven pies, one for each member of our family (no visitors this year...last year, I made NINE pies!):

Cranberry apple

Caramel apple

Nutella

Pecan

Pumpkin

S'mores

Butterscotch

Ok-- you win. I think we are ridiculous for having four pies/cakes for eight people but we ain't got nothin' on you. lol

In the early 80's I worked at a bakery and we sold French coconut pie by the slice and kept it in the freezer until the day it was needed. One day I ate it straight from the freezer and it was delicious. That point where it's so cold it's ALMOST frozen....swoon. Haven't had one in years.   Willing to share your recipe? 

It's so good. It's definitely our family's favorite. This pie is also good as tarts (1 recipe for 12 tarts in regular sized muffin tin). If you have one of the deep Pyrex 100-anniversary pie plates, you can double the recipe and bake longer. And it's easy:

FRENCH COCONUT PIE

1 1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup buttermilk (I make sour milk with milk and lemon juice)

3 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) melted butter

1 3/4 cup flaked coconut

Mix and pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until nicely browned . (Always takes a good bit longer in my ovens.) Best when cold, so let cool completely, then wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate or freeze.

• Like 3

This is clearly what is missing from my spiritual walk--I need to find a church that has pie socials.

I am making a buttermilk pie here with homemade whipped cream on top. I use the recipe from a Southern Living cookbook I've had 20+ years. Good buttermilk, eggs and the expensive vanilla are critical.

My random opinions on other pies, 'cause I know y'all want to know:

Despite growing up in Alabama, I am not a fan of pecan pie. I love pecans, just not the pie. Maybe if I could eat a bite, brush my teeth, eat another bite, brush my teeth again. . ..

Pumpkin pie is a Yankee food. Sweet potato pie is where it's at.

I don't understand chocolate pie.

I have rarely met a lemon or key lime pie I did not like, although I feel like someone needs to do a "replace all" for meringue everywhere and go with whipped cream instead.

Apple pie--I love a good one and have made some excellent apple pies in my life; I have also made the pie the exact same way and had it turn out yucky. I have never been able to figure out why, and this is a source of great frustration for me.

Anyone know how to put cranberries into a pie? I love cranberries and do not have enough ways to eat them.

I throw a few handfuls of cranberries into my apple crisp. I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for apple pie to make it more holiday-themed.

• Like 1

Do you have a recipe for the cranberry apple pecan crunch?

I'm not a fan of pie.  I was just talking to DH about this - I like pie, but I'd always rather have something different (unless it's a chocolate pudding pie in some kind of cookie/graham crust - the smores and nutella pies mentioned above sound amazing!).  I like the sweetness (I have a terrible sweet tooth), but I prefer other desserts - especially anything with chocolate.  

Butter a 9x13 casserole dish. In it put:

2 c. raw fresh cranberries (I chop them a little)

3 c. diced apples (hard or tart varieties for baking), peeled or unpeeled

Or pears

Mix in a bowl:

1/2 c. or less of sugar (I prefer to go lighter on it or use maple syrup or honey, 1/3 c. but don't put syrup or honey in until last)

1 c. quick oats

1/2 c. or less of brown sugar

1 c. of shelled pecans

Pour this mix over the fruits. Dot with butter (or not) Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. 

You could add cinnamon or nutmeg. 

I can't find the other recipe I had but this one works fine. 

• Like 1

I’m sitting here, torturing myself by reading this delicious thread. We haven’t eaten our Thanksgiving meal yet and I’m so hungry for pie but I just couldn’t stop reading, when my daughter called with the best news: she and her fiancé are bringing three pies! Glory! I think I’ll survive now...

• Like 2