Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Margaret in CO

Need grad gift idea for master's

I'm stumped on a master's graduation gift idea for dd #2. Her older sister had half her violin debt wiped out (and the other half will go away for her doctorate but she doesn't know that) for the first master's, and a serger for the second master's (she has a silk violin bag business). She's also getting her doctoral robes. However, second dd probably won't even walk--her master's is online and she's never been on the campus. She will never be in academia, plus you don't generally buy master's robes, and she could not care less about them. Other than yet another dog (which she does NOT need!), I have no clue. She doesn't need kitchen stuff; she doesn't need work stuff (Navy). She has an Apple watch--watches are gifts at Winging so she already has one. I already made curtains for her entire house, so that's out. I've already gotten her a sewing machine. A trip is out (and we couldn't afford it anyway) because if she did go anywhere, it would be to Bahrain to see her dh--he's deployed. But she's already said she doesn't want to go--she hates Bahrain. She can't meet him in HI this spring as then she'll miss her little brother's Commissioning. Any ideas? 

If she has a house, a gift card for Lowe's or Home Depot might be appreciated? 

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be so much for HER. They just did some landscaping in the back yard and I was toying with a trellis or something. Or maybe a porch swing--it can't have cushions or the stupid hound will chew them up! Maybe another tree--they had to take out a bunch that were leaning over the house. 

I may do something like this:  https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BG4Jp9PXlbA/WFbhm-zq1MI/AAAAAAAAZUs/U9x3z07imXwj6pU-Xye2e66CCLTQjpgbACLcB/s1600/IMG_0491-copy.jpg There is a split cottonwood tree that we pass every time we go to Denver and the tradition is to stop and take a photo and send it. Hmmmm... The girls call it the "Tree of Life" because it comes back every year, even though it's split in two. Time to scour the barn. Maybe I can find an old window. It will be easy to find enough barn wood for frames. Maybe I'll do photos of all four seasons of the tree. 

Edited by Margaret in CO
  • Like 1

I may do something like this: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BG4Jp9PXlbA/WFbhm-zq1MI/AAAAAAAAZUs/U9x3z07imXwj6pU-Xye2e66CCLTQjpgbACLcB/s1600/IMG_0491-copy.jpg There is a split cottonwood tree that we pass every time we go to Denver and the tradition is to stop and take a photo and send it. Hmmmm... The girls call it the "Tree of Life" because it comes back every year, even though it's split in two. Time to scour the barn. Maybe I can find an old window. It will be easy to find enough barn wood for frames. Maybe I'll do photos of all four seasons of the tree.

That's a great idea!

Well, I asked dh to go look in the barn, but he didn't listen. I asked for a nine-light, but that's not what he came out with. So, he'll look again in the morning, and in the sheds. The POINT was the muntins! 

Aha! Found a perfect 4 light and so the design has changed. I'm going to put the photos behind the old glass. It's a window from the old shop--the window next to it was already missing, so it doesn't matter that this one will be gone. When it warms up, I'll reglue the old caulking and then clean it. I'm going to have the mats cut in town as ds does a lousy job. It's at least 100 years old--it was originally a double hung. Yay!

• Like 3