Menu

Any chefs? I need gift advice.

Artichoke

That sounds like a really thoughtful gift!

I don't have any advice on brands/sizes/etc., only that when someone reaches that level, in really any field, what they like becomes pretty personal. He may enjoy shopping with y'all, or getting to choose for himself.

• Like 1

My son spent time as a chef.

He still loves his Shun knives. 

​He recommends a chef knife, bread knife, and a paring. Maybe a filet knife. A nice roll to keep them in. Go for hammered metal if you can afford it. They are nice! The cheap (pressed) metal of any brand is not his favorite. 

Caveat---Shun knives are for right handers only. 

Left handed, my son recommends Wustoff. 

Edited by Happy
  • Like 3

Thanks for all of the good ideas.  The relationship is somewhat strained so I think he'd be more comfortable if he didn't go with us to choose.   Giving him cash isn't an option.    We'd really like something tangible to show him that we believe in him and his chosen career.   

• Like 1

We're looking to get our son knives of his own to use at work.   As far as I know, he's been using the knives in the kitchen where he works.  He's a sous chef and was recently promoted to executive sous chef.   Any advice on brands, sizes, or anything else?  

Knives are very personal, and what makes one person happy might not make another happy. I'd probably either take him shopping, or ask him his preferences, or give him money to buy them himself. If you really want to have something to give him, you could buy him a knife roll - if he doesn't already have one - with a note saying that you will fill it with knives of his choice.  Although he might not even use a knife roll because lots of people carry their stuff in toolboxes... 

ETA  Oops, sorry I didn't see your additional post. How about a gift certificate to a restaurant supply store? Previn is a good one.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1