Menu

Henle Latin 1 high school credits one or two?

Looking for opinions

Does anyone give a Latin 2 credit for finishing Henle Latin 1? The book is so long and she has been working through it for two years.  So is a Latin 1 credit for the first year and Latin 2 for the second year too generous?

Thanks,

Kendall 

In general, many/most providers take two years to go through "Latin grammar" - which Henle Latin book 1 is. Those providers which use Henle many times (but not always) give a Latin 1 credit for the 1st half of the book and a Latin 2 credit for the 2nd half of the book.

Memoria Press does this.

Kolbe Homeschool Online Academy also uses at least some of Henle Latin 2 in their Latin 2 class. I haven't seen a syllabus for either class, so I don't know how much of each book they cover in each class.

Dwayne Thomas appears to cover all of Henle 1 in a year as he moves onto Henle book 2 in his Latin 2 class.

Mother of Divine Grace Homeschool uses Henle 1 in both Latin 1 & 2.

Here is a previous (rather old) thread on this very topic from the WTM boards: Henle Latin Credit Question

• Like 3

Kathy,

The link to one of your older posts doesn't appear to work -- and I'd appreciate the information. Do you know another way to access your post?

Here is the post with the link that doesn't work:

Hi Angela,

My daughter completed Henle I and II independently at home with me working alongside her. She started by using the Memoria Press Henle study
guides, but soon found that they moved way too slowly. At that point, we switched to Laura Berquist's Mother of Divine Grace syllabi. She completed everything that was scheduled in those books for Henle I and II, including all the quizzes and tests. Berquist has different options for pacing; we chose the slower and more thorough option.

After Henle, we still self-studied using a wide variety of resources, as I described in this thread.

Hope that helps  :) 

Thank you so much!
Georgia

• Like 1

I gave two credits for Henle 1 and a third for Henle 2. My daughter was ready for AP Latin after those texts, and AP is either a 4th or 5th year course in most schools.

This is what we are doing. My dd did 4th Form which goes through Henle i in 2 years and now is in Henle ii. She has already taken the NLEs levels 1 and 2. And I will give her Latin III and she will take the NLE III this year. Next year the plan is either DE or an AP class for Latin IV.

• Like 2

Kathy,

The link to one of your older posts doesn't appear to work -- and I'd appreciate the information. Do you know another way to access your post?

I don't know if this is the exact thread with the broken link, but this one has a lot of information in it: Latin: Henle II-IV questions, and reading questions

• Like 2

I think it's okay to give two credits if she did two years of solid work. Lots of providers do complete the basic grammar and vocab in two years, but some, like CLRC, take 3 years and if you took their online class, you would have three solid credits.

When my dd switched from Lone Pine to CLRC, she went from Latin 2 to Latin 4/5. If we had stayed with LP, she would be in Latin 4 right now, which is not their AP level. As it is, she switched to Lukeion and is in Level 4, which is AP level for them. So, LP only takes two years for the basics, but then they stretch Latin Readings out over two, whereas Lukeion only takes one year for Latin Readings. Though, I think Lukeion has added in either an optional third year on grammar or 2nd year on readings. So, lots of ways to do it!

Edited by OnMyOwn

Kathy,

Here is the post with the link that doesn't work:

Hi Angela,

My daughter completed Henle I and II independently at home with me working alongside her. She started by using the Memoria Press Henle study

guides, but soon found that they moved way too slowly. At that point, we switched to Laura Berquist's Mother of Divine Grace syllabi. She completed everything that was scheduled in those books for Henle I and II, including all the quizzes and tests. Berquist has different options for pacing; we chose the slower and more thorough option.

After Henle, we still self-studied using a wide variety of resources, as I described in this thread.

Hope that helps  :) 

Thank you so much!
Georgia

RootAnn found the right link for you above. Thanks RootAnn! :)

This is what we are doing. My dd did 4th Form which goes through Henle i in 2 years and now is in Henle ii. She has already taken the NLEs levels 1 and 2. And I will give her Latin III and she will take the NLE III this year. Next year the plan is either DE or an AP class for Latin IV.

I forgot to mention the alignment of Henle with the NLEs, so thanks 2_girls_mommy for bringing that up!

I figured it backed up my credits to have good results on the appropriate NLE each year. And back when dd took Latin, there was no plain level 3 NLE, just reading levels of 3/4 Prose and 3/4 Poetry. We found that Henle 2 was aligned with those exams, too.

• Like 3