I listened to the first season of

In the dark

Accused

Also:

S town

Missing Richard Simmons

What are your favorites?

Undisclosed

Three very smart lawyers that research and break down wrongful conviction cases. Season 1 was about Adnan Syed. One of the lawyers was a close family friend. While Serial told the story, Undisclosed found the evidence that got him a new trial. I'm listening to Season 2 now. If you like a detailed, nuts-and-bolts, law analysis, this is a great listen.

The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe

This is Rowe's take on Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story. They are 10-12 minutes long. Super interesting back stories on all kinds of things like famous people, inventors, inventions, military stuff, and just about anything that we know about in our everyday lives that we just didn't know about.

• Like 3

finished with

Accused Season 1 & 2 

S-town 

Serial 

Detective

currently - Home Front (BBB historical drama about WW 1, each episode airs exactly 100 years after real life events)

Deadly Manners 

LeVar Burton Reads 

+ some dog ones DogCog, Fenzi Dog Sports 

pick & choose Criminal episodes 

dipping into archives 

TV Crimes (Wil Wheaton & Mikey Neumann) 

With Her (Hillary) 

Ezra Klein 

ongoing 

Tara Brach meditation 

• Like 1

Listen to every episode:

Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me

The Mason Jar (Cindy Rollins)

What Should I Read Next

Selectively listen to episodes:

Freakonomics

How I Built This

99% invisible

Invisiblia

Snap Judgement

TED Radio Hour

Another Mother Runner

The First 40 Miles (backpacking)

Young House Love has a Podcast

School/Christian:

Read Aloud Revival

Your Morning Basket

A Delectible Education

Focus on the Family

God Centered Mom

For the kids:

Brains On

Wow in the World

Tumble Science

• Like 1

I go through a lot of podcasts because I listen to them while I run.  These are currently on my subscribe list:

The Moth (people telling their true stories)

Snap Judgment (also storytelling)

Snap Judgment Spooked (a spin-off of Snap Judgment based on their very popular episodes they do every year in October)

Strangers (also storytelling; some of these are fabulous, but the host kind of went off of the rails about six months ago, and I dropped it)

Poddy Break (Tim Hawkins; it's 3 or 4 guys sitting in his bus and talking about whatever pops into their heads)

Criminal (short'ish segments on various aspects of criminal justice--particular criminals, a technique used by criminals or by investigators, etc.)

Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me (podcast of the radio show; I don't listen to this one any more because it got too political, but it is very funny if you aren't tired of hateful politics)

This American Life 

Accused (2 seasons, each on an unsolved murder)

Dirty John (one season, about 6 or 7 episodes on a particular crime; I did not especially enjoy this one--it frustrated me to no end, but a lot of people would like it)

S-Town 

Memory Palace 

Freakonomics

I see a lot of recommendations for Adam Carolla's podcast, and I've tried to listen, but most podcasts that are men sittin' around yacking seem to turn pretty foul pretty fast.  That's not what I am looking for, but if you or someone you know is, it might be worth a listen.

Another regular runner on the trails that I frequent swears by a podcast of the Rick and Bubba radio show.  They're radio guys from Alabama.  I haven't tried it, but for the sake of throwing out ideas that might be useful to someone, there 'ya go.

• Like 1

Dirty John (one season, about 6 or 7 episodes on a particular crime; I did not especially enjoy this one--it frustrated me to no end, but a lot of people would like it)

I didn't enjoy this one either. I thought it was dragged out and padded. I was also SO SO frustrated with the people in it.  

Undisclosed

Three very smart lawyers that research and break down wrongful conviction cases. Season 1 was about Adnan Syed. One of the lawyers was a close family friend. While Serial told the story, Undisclosed found the evidence that got him a new trial. I'm listening to Season 2 now. If you like a detailed, nuts-and-bolts, law analysis, this is a great listen.

The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe

This is Rowe's take on Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story. They are 10-12 minutes long. Super interesting back stories on all kinds of things like famous people, inventors, inventions, military stuff, and just about anything that we know about in our everyday lives that we just didn't know about.

I LOVE Undisclosed!!  The current season is also excellent.  I'd love to have dinner with Colin Miller sometime!

The Way I Heard It is really good when I'm waiting for someone. Just a few minutes long, and so interesting. 

• Like 2

So how do I listen to these podcasts and where do I find them? I've never listened to a podcast, just audiobooks.

Thanks!

there's another thread on the board about favourite podcasting apps. Ideally you get an app on your phone, then you subscribe to the podcasts. The whole schtick with podcasts is that you have a subscription to them, they come out regularly at some interval, and they land on your device, ready for listening. You can set up your phone to check and download only on wifi or only at certain times, and get them all cued up and ready for you for a drive or chores etc... 

The apps all have a search function and you just search and hit a subscribe button. 

If you're really stuck or don't want to use a phone, you can go to the sites of the show just by googling any of the titles listed above for example, and then listen directly on the website. I sometimes just do that on the desktop and feed it through the big speakers so I don't have to have headphones on at home when I'm alone. 

• Like 2

I listen to a few of the same ones you do and also:

Marketplace

Stuff You Missed in History Class

Revisionist History (two short seasons)

In Our Time (BBC - Only some episodes appeal to me, usually the ones about literature and history.)

Rough Translation

Friends Talking Faith with the Three Wise Guys (http://twgradio.com/)

Make Me Smart

The Uncertain Hour

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2

Ask Me Another

America's Test Kitchen

The Way I Heard It

Grammar Girl

Stuff You Missed in History Class

The Splendid Table

Dear Book Nerd

What Should I Read Next

Eric's Guide to Ancient Egypt

A History of the United States

Plus a ton more I have subscribed to but haven't had a chance to listen too yet.

• Like 1

So how do I listen to these podcasts and where do I find them? I've never listened to a podcast, just audiobooks.

Thanks!

I have Podcast Addict on my Kindle, and it's really simple to search for podcasts on the app.  If you enjoy audiobooks, you may enjoy Podcasts.  I actually don't like audiobooks, but I love podcasts.

• Like 1

Regularly listen to-

The Creative Penn

Sell More Books Show

Organize 365

The Thomas Jefferson Hour

Just started listening to & think they'll become regulars-

Ben Franklin's World

The History of Rome

Sometimes listen to-

Self Publishing Podcast

Brilliant Business Moms

Smart Passive Income

Entrepreneur on Fire

Sawbones

The James Altucher Show

• Like 1

Selfie with Kristen Howerton and Sarah James

Happier with Gretchen Rubin

Young House Love has a podcast

A Slob Comes Clean

Raising Daughters

Organize 365

The Big Boo Cast

By the Book

99% Invisible

Love Organize 365! I'm pretty organized but Lisa is so upbeat and enthusiastic I could listen to her all day :)  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love finding new podcasts!

So for Undisclosed...State vs Willie Veasy...why can't I find anything on Google about this case? Anyone have any links? When I listen to stories like this I need to read more about it and I can find nothing.

Have you read the case files on the Undisclosed website?   I've read those, but haven't seen anything else. Have you looked on Reddit? 

there's another thread on the board about favourite podcasting apps. Ideally you get an app on your phone, then you subscribe to the podcasts. The whole schtick with podcasts is that you have a subscription to them, they come out regularly at some interval, and they land on your device, ready for listening. You can set up your phone to check and download only on wifi or only at certain times, and get them all cued up and ready for you for a drive or chores etc...

The apps all have a search function and you just search and hit a subscribe button.

If you're really stuck or don't want to use a phone, you can go to the sites of the show just by googling any of the titles listed above for example, and then listen directly on the website. I sometimes just do that on the desktop and feed it through the big speakers so I don't have to have headphones on at home when I'm alone.

"No Headphones on When I'm Alone"

Sounds like it could be a horror movie or novel or a scary podcast, itself...

• Like 1

So many podcasts....so little time. 

In addition to a lot of the ones here, I like the Bravewriter ones. I think it’s A Bravewriter’s Life in Brief. The first one this season was with Susan Wise Bauer and was very fun. 

My husband likes How I Built This. 

I just heard a new one advertised on NPR yesterday by Dana Temple Raston, something about how teenagers minds work when they make dumb decisions...What Were You Thinking. That sounded interesting. 

• Like 1

I listen to:

BBC World News

PBS NewsHour

Stuff You Should Know (This one is great; Josh and Chuck are the absolute best podcasters ever.)

On Being

BBC's The Documentary

The Black Tapes Podcast

Morning Joe (It's basically just the audio of the show that comes out later in the day)

Secular Buddhism

Science Friday

Adam Ruins Everything

BBC Discovery

Nature

Lore

Philosophize This

The New York Public Library Podcast

And for you podcast newbies, I use the Podcast Republic app.

Dh already rolls his eyes over the vast amount of podcasts that I listen to. If he finds out I'm listening to a podcast about podcasts he might hide my earbuds.   :lol:

Mine too. :P I listen to them while I do dishes at night. I don't have a dishwasher and I cook everything from scratch, so that's a LOT of podcasts, lol. 

• Like 2

The Big Listen : a podcast about podcasts!

Along those lines:

Crime Writers On

It originally started as a podcast about Serial (Adnan Syed's season) and has since morphed into a podcast about popular culture, including podcasts, TV, and books.

It has 4 hosts...2 men and 2 women. Rebecca works in public radio so the production standards are high. The sound quality is really good...no getting blasted by an overly loud spliced in commercial or wondering what one of the hosts is saying.

Just enough banter that I feel like I know their personalities but not so much that I'm frustrated and just want them to get on with it.

One of my favs!