Menu

Would the Kindle Fire be best for this situation?

DawnM

We are doing an Angel Tree thing at my school for some of our students who wouldn't otherwise get a Christmas.  Several of the kids/families put down "tablet" as a wishlist item.  (They also have clothing, socks, shoes, etc....as needed items).  

I know it is perhaps "beggars can't be choosers" but it would be nice to get an actual wishlist item I think.

Some of the teachers would like to go in on some of the Angels together and I was trying to find a cheaper tablet that would also be quality.  The Kindle Fire often is around $29 at Christmas (8gb model) and that one came to mind.

Any others in the "under $40" range that I should look at?

• Like 1

Oh wow, if you can get into a kindle fire for $29, what an amazing gift! I have an HD8 for my ds with the higher memory, because we use it ALL THE TIME, like literally all day long, playing audiobooks, movies, apps, you name it. Definitely don't bother with the 10, only the 7 or 8. Do you know the age of the child? I think going with the lower memory is fine. Does it take the expandable storage? The Samsung tablet for mighteor does. I actually really like the Kindle, especially because of the awesome parental controls. You don't have to do the kid version for them. It's just an option in the menu, and the parents will appreciate them. 

If you know the recipient is an older dc, I would go with the larger (8) if possible. If you don't know the age of the recipient, the smaller is fine. Looks like the processors are the same. The other reason to go with the 8 instead of the 7 is if the dc will be doing a lot of audiobooks using the speakers vs. with earbuds. The dual speakers on the HD8 are going to be dramatically better for listening to an audiobook in their room without earbuds. The mono speakers on the 7 will seem a bit quiet for it. One unit I ordered on ebay (replacing a unit my ds had killed, sigh), had the mono speakers because what they sent me wasn't what they listed. The mono speakers definitely were not loud enough for playing audiobooks in a room. Maybe our rooms are big (like an open space in a basement), but again it's a difference. Won't matter for some uses though.

The screen resolutions are so similar, wouldn't quibble there. Processors are the same, so no quibble. It's mainly gonna be the speakers and the slight difference in screen size. If the HD8 is only *slightly* more and you have reason to think they'll enjoy the features, I would spring for the 8. If that's making it a no go, the 7 is a lovely gift. I'm a real apple snob, with an iphone 7+, ipad, the whole nine yards, but I really like my ds' kindle just for what it is. They've expanded the amazon app store enough that it's finally functional. BARD is on there. It's a lot more snappy than the older versions were. We've been heavy kindle users for 3 or 4 years now and gone through several. 

Are you thinking about a case? If you don't know the gender of the dc, that's tricky. I really like the thin silicone cases you can get on ebay or amazon. We're talking under $10. Amazon.com: Bear Motion Case for All-New Fire 7 Tablet with Alexa - Anti Slip Shockproof Light Weight Kids Friendly Protective Case for Amazon Kindle Fire 7 2017 (ONLY for 7th Generation 2017 Model) (Red): Electronics  This is like what I have on my ds' kindle right now. You don't have to, but if you want to it's a good one. Of course he's young. We've done folios, etc. too. 

• Like 1

The problem with an upgrade is that we will have to scrap the entire thing.  There are 5 to purchase and we only have $150.  If we buy the nicer ones we can only get 2 or 3 and then only some of the kids will get one and that hardly seems fair.  

So, it is the cheaper one or we will just not do it and get them only things like more clothing or something.

• Like 2

The problem with an upgrade is that we will have to scrap the entire thing.  There are 5 to purchase and we only have $150.  If we buy the nicer ones we can only get 2 or 3 and then only some of the kids will get one and that hardly seems fair.  

So, it is the cheaper one or we will just not do it and get them only things like more clothing or something.

Last year they had a Black Friday deal for a 6 pack of the cheapest fires at a super bargain price. I didn't need 6 so I didn't pay much attention to the deal but I'd keep an eye out for it.

• Like 3

Ok, I take it back, it isn't $29, it is $35 (for the current $49 version).  

Fire 7, 8gb.  I have no idea if it is expandable.

That would still mean 5 tablets.  Unless we can get some more people to donate, it won't include cases, but maybe I can find $50 in donations from some more people.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Kindle Fires are expandable with a Micro SD. 

The $35 deal should be available for black friday/cyber monday. But like someone else mentioned -- I remember there being a bundle deal for 4 or 6 kindles for even a bit cheaper on Prime Day. (according to something from last year they were $33.33 last year on BF) 

My (16 &12) kids love their kindles and use them a ton -- movies, apps, books. I think they're a GREAT angel tree gift!