Menu

Our holly trees don't have berries

DawnM

I did some digging and found this:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/holly/holly-berry-midge-pests.htm

But none of these seems to fit our situation.

Our driveway is lined with Holly bushes (up near the house).  For years we had bright red beautiful berries and I would bring some in every Christmas and decorate with them.

Now, for the last 3 years I guess, no berries.  Or, like now, very few, and they aren't bright red, they are either whitish or a little pink.  

How do we get our berries back?

I will be honest, they are overgrown and we haven't trimmed them in the 12 years we have lived here.....could that be it?  We had a quote for over $1000 to do it and we just haven't bothered.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/holly/holly-bush-no-berries.htm

Did you know that some hollies are male and others are female? Perhaps one of your neighbors had a male and they took it out or had it die. That’s what I’d bet

This is my first thought. If there was only one male they were relying on for pollination, and it is gone, no berries. I think they need to be within something like a quarter mile to pollinate.

• Like 1

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/holly/holly-bush-no-berries.htm

Did you know that some hollies are male and others are female? Perhaps one of your neighbors had a male and they took it out or had it die. That’s what I’d bet happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is what I linked in that article.  But the neighbors had none.  They are all on our property.  

Do you think if I plant a male tree they will come back?

Maybe the male of our died......too many females.....black widow!!!!!!!!!!  HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

But then that doesn't really explain the few white and somewhat pink berries we do have.  Hmmmmm....

are they getting enough water?  enough sun?  enough airflow through the branches?

you could prune them yourself - read up on pruning techniques.

yes - overgrown trees and shrubs dont' produce as well - that's why orchards prune their trees.

If there's a male anywhere nearby (and in the mid-Atlantic/ southeast there probably is), that should be sufficient, always assuming you have enough pollinators. Hollies are a major source of nectar for bees. Any idea how the local honeybee population is doing?

this is a thought.   while I'd assume if she has that many hollies, there'd be at least one male in the bunch.  but if they were all female (some places s3x sort them.) and the male was on another property - could it have been cut down?