Menu

Harry Potter/need ideas Marauder's Map

lauranc

I am doing something special for my niece and nephew--- and I promised something before I really looked into whether or not it was possible.  

In a nutshell, I am doing a 'distance education Hogwarts' experience for them.  One of the classes my nephew wants to take is Potions.  In my class description I put that, as a final project, the student would be creating his own Marauder's Map.

I have scoured the internet, and found some printable/put it together yourself maps.  I found one that uses make your own invisible ink: then draw  your own map out of it.

I'd like to somehow combine those two ideas, but I am coming up with nothing.

Anyone have a good idea I could use for a 'make your own Marauder's Map?

TIA!

So the way I did this recently was to download a template that allows you to fold the parchment and the map cover meets up. I had my kids map our house with regular pens inside but used the invisible ink pens to make hidden surprises on the map. Footprints, the cat hiding in various places, etc. When you shine the light from the pen on the ink then the hidden easter eggs show up. They loved it. We used these pens:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WP4QP8G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510782607&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=invisible+ink+pens&psc=1

When I am in front of the laptop in a bit I will attach a link to the map template we used. I liked it alot because it could be resized to what was needed.

If it is for Potions....what could be fun is to have them make the maps and then send them back to you. With invisible ink "hide" materials around their house on the map for a couple different experiments. Have their parents then hide those ingredients in those places. Send them cool labels like wolf's bane and spider venom etc to put on the ingredients. Send the map back with the invisible additions along with the pens and let them find everything and do the experiment (which you will send instructions for changing "vinegar" to some other cool name for example)

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 2