Menu

What's with the ads?

Patty Joanna

Gifted Acqusition of Knowledge/Understanding

There is a mode of giftedness wherein one acquires an entire body of knowledge in a unique way—not gathering knowledge but sort of like a bubble of an entire body of knowledge coming to one all at once.

Is there a name for this? I read it on these boards many years ago and I need the terminology now.

Thank you.

I wonder if you mean a visual-spatial learner? They learn from the big-picture down, not from the details on outwards. That is how my eldest learns... she needs to know the subject from the outside before she can hang the facts in her memory palace :001_smile:. (Oddly enough she does not give others that luxury when she is describing things.)

Yesterday she publicly took a student teacher to task for not even setting up the subject nor context of a lesson and then complaining that the students didn't know when to take notes. She bullied the teacher into posting her lesson plan notes on the google classroom. 

Or are you referring to kinesthetic learning?

• Like 1

I don't know what the proper terminology is, but I have one child I call a linear learner, and one I call a step function learner. The linear one adds knowledge in a step wise and orderly fashion. Linear-learner assimilates knowledge "neatly," it gets filed away into what I imagine is an alphabetized, color coded framework in the brain, ready for rapid retrieval.  The step function learner, well, the mind is all over the place, so when it's learning something new, there is a long latency period where it "seems" like nothing is happening, nothing is going in. But, given enough time, the step-function learner usually surprises me by making a big jump in knowledge or skill. It's like the information was going in all along, but in a disorganized way (like Schtoompa's closet for any Richard Scarry fans), until eventually the brain fully assimilates and organizes it. 

• Like 1

Thank you all.

It’s not visual-spatial or kinesthetic. I wish I could describe it better. Someone who used to post here has this kind of genius and it has a name. But I’m not even genius enough to remember what it is called. I do remember the description and I think I’ve met someone who has a child like this and so I wanted to point her to resources to help HER understand the genius and to walk with her offspring in the most helpful way.

:0)

Eidetic memory?

No...but thank you for trying.  I'm going to see if I can improve on my definition in my original post.  It is not a huge deal but now it just BUGS me that I can't remember!!  :0)

I descibe ds8 as a step function learner. It can be a bit challenging.

Indeed. I can now recognize that "latent period" as the time when I want to tear my hair out in frustration. Now that I'm more aware of it, I can tell myself to chill out a little and wait for the big jump that will come...