Menu

Let’s say you have some Kaluah and some Grand Marnier in your cabinet...

Ginevra

And you want to make a hot chocolate, but you’ll be in for the rest of the evening and you aren’t opposed to spiking said hot chocolate with one of the above liquors, which would you use (if either) and how much if you didn’t want it to be too strong?

On a related note, do you have a winning adult hot chocolate-like beverage recipe, regardless of what liquor is called for, and if so, please share. Thanks.

And you want to make a hot chocolate, but you’ll be in for the rest of the evening and you aren’t opposed to spiking said hot chocolate with one of the above liquors, which would you use (if either) and how much if you didn’t want it to be too strong?

On a related note, do you have a winning adult hot chocolate-like beverage recipe, regardless of what liquor is called for, and if so, please share. Thanks.

Definitely Kaluah and about a shot, maybe two.  

• Like 4

I regularly put kahlua or amaretto in hot chocolate, or coffee, or tea, and I've had Grand Marnier in coffee and HC too. They are all good.   I think since you are going to be home all night, you can experiment. Make your favorite hot chocolate; pour yourself a cup (leaving room!) and pour in a glug of either liqueur. Taste. If you want more, add more. If it's too much, add more hot chocolate.  Repeat till it's right.

I've never tried this but I came across this recipe yesterday and as soon as I go to the store and acquire oranges I'm going to try it:  The Duke's Hot Chocolate (link to Splendid Table).  Sounds like a good fit with Grand Marnier.

• Like 4

I would drink the Kahlua on the rocks with cream, mixed about 1/3 cream to 2/3 Kahua.

And I'd eat the chocolate with a glass of milk instead of making hot chocolate.

And I'd have the Grand Marnier over vanilla bean ice cream or possible dark chocolate gelato.  With chopped maraschino cherries and grated walnuts on top.

Hot chocolate makes everyone I know stay awake for hours, and that would not be what I would want.  Plus it's the only form of chocolate that I don't love, so why?  Just, why?  :)

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I would drink the Kahlua on the rocks with cream, mixed about 1/3 cream to 2/3 Kahua.

And I'd eat the chocolate with a glass of milk instead of making hot chocolate.

And I'd have the Grand Marnier over vanilla bean ice cream or possible dark chocolate gelato. With chopped maraschino cherries and grated walnuts on top.

Hot chocolate makes everyone I know stay awake for hours, and that would not be what I would want. Plus it's the only form of chocolate that I don't love, so why? Just, why? :)

Oh man!! I even have vanilla bean ice cream here, but it is not Lactose-free, which is one requirement. But you make that sound almost worth the belly ache!

Every single ingredient would make my stomach riot, but I'd do the Grand Marnier. Especially if I had dark chocolate cocoa. Like a warm chocolate orange.

I actually do have Special Dark Cocoa....mmmm...

I can verify that 1.5 oz. Kaluah to 12oz. Hot cocoa, made with Special Dark, and with 3 marshmallows on top is a perfectly acceptable option. I may just blow by dinner tonight and try the GM version later...

• Like 7

I can verify that 1.5 oz. Kaluah to 12oz. Hot cocoa, made with Special Dark, and with 3 marshmallows on top is a perfectly acceptable option. I may just blow by dinner tonight and try the GM version later...

Cheers!

1.5 oz of kahlua is an excellent addition to cappuccino as well. :) Now I must try in hot chocolate! Mmmmmm.

Do you have an Aldi nearby? They have a 3 pack with Irish cream, Creme brûlée, and mint chocolate alcoholic yumminess. You know, if you need another option.

• Like 1

Cheers!

1.5 oz of kahlua is an excellent addition to cappuccino as well. :) Now I must try in hot chocolate! Mmmmmm.

Do you have an Aldi nearby? They have a 3 pack with Irish cream, Creme brûlée, and mint chocolate alcoholic yumminess. You know, if you need another option.

I do have an Aldi nearby-ish, though not nearby enough to be worth leaving my cozy nest for the night, but also, in Maryland, alcoholic beverages are not for sale in grocery stores*. You have to go to the liquor store selarately. Holdover from our Pro-Prudence days, I guess.

*There is the outside possibility that some store, somewhere in the state of Maryland does keep a liquor license as well as regular grocery sales, and possibly, in that sole instance, you can enter a grocery store and come out with alcohol. But usually not, unless we’re talking about cooking sherry or Holland House Marsala.

• Like 2

Apparently one of my students is bringing the ingredients for a ‘vat of spiked hot chocolate’ tonight. Somehow this particular class finagles a mini party after we dance each week. I’ll let you know how it goes. 😂ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹

• Like 2

Apparently one of my students is bringing the ingredients for a ‘vat of spiked hot chocolate’ tonight. Somehow this particular class finagles a mini party after we dance each week. I’ll let you know how it goes. 😂ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹

Is this the bellydanicng class? Man, I need to get in on that....

I do have an Aldi nearby-ish, though not nearby enough to be worth leaving my cozy nest for the night, but also, in Maryland, alcoholic beverages are not for sale in grocery stores*. You have to go to the liquor store selarately. Holdover from our Pro-Prudence days, I guess.

*There is the outside possibility that some store, somewhere in the state of Maryland does keep a liquor license as well as regular grocery sales, and possibly, in that sole instance, you can enter a grocery store and come out with alcohol. But usually not, unless we’re talking about cooking sherry or Holland House Marsala.

Aldi here in PA does not sell any liquor.  Neither does Trader Joe's or Costco.  It's infuriating.

Some (few) grocery stores now sell beer and wine, in a separate area of the store with a separate checkout. And not only do they card everyone - I'm 61 and look every bit of it, for crying out loud - but they scan the license.  It's like buying sudafed.  

(And unlike some other PA residents of my acquaintance, I don't find it flattering or cute to be carded at this stage of my life.  People seriously post on facebook  about how crazy and fun it was to get carded, as if anyone really thinks this grandma could be under 21.)

/rant    :lol:  :lol:

I am seriously in the mood for some kahlua coffee but alas, I have to pick up my kid at work at 9:30 and by the time I get home, it'll be too late to indulge...

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1