Menu

DS's drama teacher/production manager

DawnM

GAH!  I had no idea.

My son is a very compliant child, hates conflict, and will do just about anything to avoid confrontation or argument.  He is turning 18 in just a few weeks.

He loves theater/drama/performances.  He isn't ever a lead character, but he just likes being involved.

That said, he recently quit his job because it was interfering with his desire to keep doing drama and chorus.  We were fine with that, we actually didn't want him to work in the first place.  

He is on the Improv team, in the school play, and does men's chorus.

His drama/theater teacher started a FB group for the parents and students in the play.  I joined to keep up on what is going on.  

Man, he is so rude!  All of his posts are chastising students for not coming enough to practice (yeah, I get he is frustrated), and saying things like, "It would be nice if you guys would actually show up sometimes, then we might have a play to put on."  He also said, "Stop giving me your bulls*t excuses."

He is trying to get a group together to go to NYC and see a broadway play, etc....and yesterday he posted a really rude diatribe about how he will need to cancel the trip because obviously no one cares about the finer things, and he isn't sure he can get people's deposits back but it is all due to the slackers who aren't committing to going.  The trip is 3 days in NYC and 2 days of bus trip and $900.

My son doesn't want me to say anything and I won't......but it really makes me angry that he can get away with being so rude.

• Like 1

Is this associated with a public school. I know where I am the public school theater groups have FB groups to share info, but there are a lot of rules for the school sponsor/teacher.

In your situation I'd see if there was a way for an administrator to check out the fb group. I don't know if there's a to do that without being involved.

• Like 2

Is this associated with a public school. I know where I am the public school theater groups have FB groups to share info, but there are a lot of rules for the school sponsor/teacher.

In your situation I'd see if there was a way for an administrator to check out the fb group. I don't know if there's a to do that without being involved.

Yeah - our district (second largest in Illinois) really frowns on school folks being on FB with ANY students.  Our most popular Spanish teacher has a ton of kids (and parents) hovering to be FB friends as soon as the kids graduate (she is a HOOT). 

There should definitely be an administrator on the FB group, those posts from the drama dude are not professional at all. 

Oh, and that trip...$900 is a lot of money.  Also the time commitment.  And I wonder - is he paying his own way, or are the kids or school covering HIS expenses?  Sounds like Mr. Crankypants want HIS trip to NYC.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

WOW, Dawn!  That is a very unprofessional stance!   Do you think you and dh could schedule a meeting with this man to go over this absurdity?  It would be nice if another family joined in for back-up...you know, strength in numbers.   We have free speech in this country but this is just really unprofessional. 

• Like 2

Around here, I could email the FB link to the activity principal at the high school with a note that I think this teacher is behaving very unprofessionally in these exchanges with students.

And, here, the AP would take that seriously.  The teachers have rules about interactions on social media with students in these FB groups.

And, here, I expect that the Drama Dude would get all hostile towards me for ratting on him and probably take it out on my kid because.... well, that's how it works.  Sigh. 

I have been much happier since my kids got involved with a theater program outside school where the folks that run it are kind and considerate people.  The public school Drama Thing was a hard game to play.

• Like 1

How old is this teacher? He sounds incredibly immature. This is not how adults talk to people when trying to change behavior. Can you imagine a boss in a workplace talking like this. These students are seeing a horrible example of handling difficult situations. He’s being manipulative and I would consider roping in a member of the administration at the school to help him with professional development.

The person you wrote about could obviously be far more diplomatic about what he would like the kids to do, but I would rather have a kid with someone who is rude, and many miles away from people who are Pedophiles. Numerous articles about that during the past week or 2 in the news.  

Wow, the guy sounds like a world class jerk.

If he's so frustrated with the kids, maybe he should reconsider his career choice.

No kidding.  This reminds me of a substitute we had when I was in 7th grade math.  The regular teacher was a man  who was kind of rough around the edges....but the substitute told us students he (the substitute ) didn't like kids at all.  When we reported that to our regular teacher he was visibly upset and said, 'people like that should not be teachers'.  

• Like 1