Menu

Math Sequence

Is there any reason not to do Alg 1, Alg 2, Geo?

DS is in 8th and doing Alg 1 (Lial's) this year. He's really wanting to do Alg 2 next year and put Geo off until 10th. I've noticed a few online Alg 2 courses have Geometry as a prereq, so that would be one drawback, but not insurmountable.

As long as you aren't using an Algebra II that requires Geometry, and it won't mess him up for any sort of standardized testing he might need that included Geometry (not sure if you are facing something like that), I don't see why you couldn't do that sequence.  It might make Algebra II easier since he will have come right out of Algebra I.  Where are his end needs/goals for High School math?

I was wondering this a year ago. We opted for the Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 sequence. I have a younger student and she seems to be really growing with the geometry this year. We're also doing algebra-based physics so she's still using the algebra.

I considering going the other way because there is a lot of Algebra 2 on the SAT, but since she's not trying to qualify for anything at this point, it doesn't matter.

The new SAT has a lot of Algebra 2. Much more than the old one. Dd took it last year. I really think we will see a lot more schools moving to integrated math or Algebra 1-2-geo sequence because of that. Really like Mshokie said, though, for a student who has Algebra 1 in 8th, it doesn't matter as much.

Edited by MamaSprout

I'm honestly not sure where he'll go after Alg 1/2 and Geo are finished. I doubt pre-calc, unless his goals change. He isn't thinking college at this point, but then doesn't really know what ELSE he would do. He is a lot like me - good at math, but doesn't like it one itoa. Unless he falls in love or changes plans, I'm thinking we'll move to something less rigorous for 11th and 12th to make room for more rigorous other things.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We'll wait until a bit further into the year to decide, but if there were major drawbacks I wasn't thinking of, that would obviously have changed our thinking significantly. My hatred of geometry has probably biased him a little, but I think he's actually also digging Algebra + recently realized he really likes sticking with something.

• Like 1