Menu

Anyone here with a child who offers tutoring?

SparklyUnicorn

My dd did tutoring for a year between her undergrad and grad school. she worked through an agency. I know she had a bunch of high school kids, and some prepping for SATs, might have had some undergrads.

what is his level of math that he is *strong*?  (re: he doesn't have to put effort into thinking about how to do the problem so he can explain it to someone else?)

what age ranges does he want to tutor?  Unless he is very advanced in math - he will not have the skills to tutor high school kids - they would be his "math peers".

what is the demand for that age?

how comfortable would he be with teaching kids who may or may not want to be there?  

how well can he adapt his teaching style to meeting needs of different kids?

• Like 1

Sort of? I have a tween who is a mother's helper and got a few gigs through our music school. Through this, she now offers being "practice buddies" for some of those very young kids on her instrument. I don't think she'd have those gigs, though, if she hadn't been a mother's helper first. 

Edited by rainbowmama
  • Like 1

He doesn't have credentials (of course), but what would be a way to describe his math abilities (I cannot word this correctly)?

My kids obviously doesn’t tutor. My neighbors kids do tutor since 7th/8th grade. They state what age and what level they are comfortable tutoring. For example my friend’s daughter is comfortable tutoring English for K-8th grade for writing and grammar but not phonics. She can help with reading comprehension but her strength is writing. Another can tutor 3rd grade up to algebra 1.

Besides math tutoring, some of my neighbors kids do homework helper services at the same rate. Basically similar to babysitting but more of helping the 3rd grade and up child with getting homework done while the parents are still at work.

• Like 2

My DD helped lead a math circle for younger kids last year and is now working with whatever one of my brother/sister tutoring students I'm not working with. They're working on 3rd and 6th grade math. She's more of a homework helper and math games partner than a tutor. She's also teaching an online herpetology class, where the kids range from age 6-14. I moderate, but she does the rest.

• Like 1

My dd doesn't tutor, but she teaches Spanish classes for other homeschoolers online.  She just makes it clear that she's a teenager and shares her qualifications - saying she is passionate about languages, scored an 800 on the SAT Subject test, took four semesters of college Spanish, and can provide amazing recommendations from both her Spanish professor and another Spanish teacher who runs the live conversation part of the class.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

They often have a math center at community college where they use students to help tutor. I am not sure if they have an age requirement since he is dual enrolled, but if he is strong in math there may in fact be some students he could help who are struggling in their basic learning support math and intro math classes. So many kids struggle with math. He could also possibly set up tutoring at the local library.

• Like 2

My DD started tutoring at age 15 when she volunteered at the university's tutoring center for calculus based engineering physics. She could not be paid since she was not a full time student, but nobody ever questioned her expertise. She just had to keep her age a secret so the students would not feel bad.

• Like 2

Mine tutors French and elementary subjects,and is looking to offer beginning viola. She has to tutor French to be in her French Honor Society at school, tutors elementary kids who come to a program at our church from the local grade school, and hopes to find a couple viola students from that school. She does it all voluntarily but wants to charge for viola.

• Like 1

My daughter tutors in reading and math (through algebra) through our local library.  It's a volunteer position, but the library tracks her volunteer hours, which may be helpful come college application time. You may want to check our your library or perhaps an elementary school?