Menu

CLE or Rightstart Math

I am torn between CLE which will be quick and easy to teach everyday, or Rightstart that will give my children a deeper understanding of math.  If you were going to pick between CLE or Rightstart Math, which one would you choose?  

I think people are pretty happy with both, but for me, I would pick Right Start.  It offers a lot of opportunities to play with math.  However, take that with a grain of salt because we started with MEP and moved to Right Start this year.  I liked MEP better, but even it offered too much repetition after my son got the hang of it.  Neither of us are liking the pace of Right Start 3 months in and I constantly tweak it to fit his needs.

If I were teaching another child, I would use RightStart again. I appreciated the foundation it gave my kids in place value and number sense, and I love the way it introduces operations conceptually and using mental math first (I used first edition/I assume this hasn't changed). I didn't like teaching RightStart (too trees without forest for my taste as a teacher), and we went to Singapore after RS B. But I came back to finish 1/2 RS C before we switched for good. I just found it superior in it's introduction to concepts. 

I used CLE from 5th grade on. I like their spiral, and at least at the upper grades I didn't have to supplement conceptual teaching as much as I expected. The program is weak in word problems and, if you pick that, you need to supplement that aspect of CLE.

I think you'll need to do a lot of teacher interaction at the young grades no matter which program you pick. In my mind--you want that interaction engaging and interesting. I think for most that would be far easier with RightStart! CLE is cheaper though. If I used it young I think I would add c-rods and miquon type instruction as well as Singapore FAN Math word problem books when they were appropriate. 

I did Rightstart version 1. My son did great with B to level D. He seemed to do fine with level E, but has struggled with transition to another program and the level E topics are things he is struggling with.

My daughter did ok with levels B-D, but struggled with level E.... we did the first half twice.

My next daughter did great from level A- first half of D which is when we switched.

My youngest did level A-B.

At the end, I did 2 years of teaching 4 kids all at different levels... (and a couple of years of 3 kids, etc). I love RightStart, but couldn't spend that much of my time on math, especially as my oldest struggled with programs after RightStart and my 2nd oldest struggling.

We spent a few months trying Saxon. Now my 3 girls are using CLE. I am using a program for struggling students with my oldest.... which I never expected as he always had grest marks with RightStart. I don't know what I'm going to use with hi next.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I am torn between CLE which will be quick and easy to teach everyday, or Rightstart that will give my children a deeper understanding of math. If you were going to pick between CLE or Rightstart Math, which one would you choose?

Right start has a steep learning curve for the teacher but it’s not labor intensive after you figure it out. Teaching it a second time has been a breeze! I switched for a short time because I bought into the notion that I could get by with something less teacher intensive and realized it’s really not a lot more work than other programs. And I’m teaching 3 levels (C, E, and geometry).

I think there are few programs that are as good as Right Start is for A-first half of C (for first edition).  That said, I probably wouldn't put as much emphasis on doing the mental math.  Maybe DOING the math mentally, but I wouldn't require the child to hold the problem in memory to do it.  That was where my kids freaked out, and it really does require a lot of working memory.  I think CLE is a solid program, too, but I really prefer Right Start for at least kindergarten and first grade.