Menu

Creamy, Delicious Winter (or any season) Drinks

Liz CA

My Aunt always put whipped cream in her coffee.  It's her little indulgence.

Most of the Pakistani women I know at the mosque use sweetened condensed milk in their tea. 

When we were on WIC, I made hot chocolate using Hershey's cocoa powder and the evaporated milk I had no idea what to do with. It was so good.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 2

I like flavored coffee, like hazelnut or vanilla. One of our stores had a chocolate coffee on sale, and that was really delicious. I like to add a little heavy cream and flavored liquid stevia too. I end up with combinations like toffee vanilla or pumpkin spice chocolate or caramel hazelnut. Last winter I used plain coffee plus cream and chocolate and mint stevias to give me a mint chocolate coffee.

My kids like hot vanillas made with milk, sugar or stevia, and a splash of vanilla.

• Like 4

Some lovely ideas here.

Tonight I had hot chai-spiced tea with a splash of half and half and some amaretto.  

Sometimes I have coffee with a little cream and amaretto or kahlua.  

In the morning I like coffee with cream, cocoa powder, a drop of vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and turmeric.  The cocoa powder is kind of a pain because it doesn't dissolve perfectly.  I'm going to try putting it through a very fine strainer to see if that helps.  

Heavy cream is really the key for me.  I don't like sweet drinks, particularly, but if I add some sweetener to coffee it's likely to be brown sugar, not white.  

Tomorrow morning I'll be in the house alone for the first time in a couple of weeks.  I have my nice coffee time planned out.  :-)

• Like 3

I am a cappuccino girl, so that's my go-to, everyday drink.  (Yes, I make them at home [blush].)

For a treat, at night, I'll add kahlua - we make our own and it is super yummy.  We often give it as a holiday gift.  :)  There are also some yummy (alcoholic) concoctions at Aldi - the creme brûlée is my favorite, but DH is a fan of the mint chocolate.  We will sometimes put in a dollop of that.  They have them in 3 packs right now, smallish bottles that last us a few months.  

Mostly, I'm just a cappuccino drinker year round though.  I did try the toasted white chocolate mocha at Starbucks today - it was a freebie - and it was pretty yummy.

• Like 1

Some lovely ideas here.

Tonight I had hot chai-spiced tea with a splash of half and half and some amaretto.  

Sometimes I have coffee with a little cream and amaretto or kahlua.  

In the morning I like coffee with cream, cocoa powder, a drop of vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and turmeric.  The cocoa powder is kind of a pain because it doesn't dissolve perfectly.  I'm going to try putting it through a very fine strainer to see if that helps.  

Heavy cream is really the key for me.  I don't like sweet drinks, particularly, but if I add some sweetener to coffee it's likely to be brown sugar, not white.  

Tomorrow morning I'll be in the house alone for the first time in a couple of weeks.  I have my nice coffee time planned out.  :-)

Have you tried heating up the cream and stirring the cocoa powder into it, and then adding the cream/cocoa mixture to the coffee? I find that the cocoa dissolves a lot more smoothly in the hot cream than in the hot coffee. :)

• Like 4

Sometimes I make hot vanilla milk.

Whole milk, heated with a little sugar. Add vanilla after the sugar has dissolved.

To be decadent, serve with chocolate curls or chocolate whipped cream.

Now here is something we need to explore a little more...can you tell us how you do it?

Now here is something we need to explore a little more...can you tell us how you do it?

Make whipped cream as usual (good cream, a little powdered sugar and very cold beaters/bowl), but add in a bit of cocoa powder as you whip the cream. To make it extra lovely, add shavings from a chocolate bar (made with a paring knife or veggie peeler) on the top.

You can also add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to whipped cream to make it special.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I just found my Hot Buttered Rum recipe. Well, not mine, I think it came from the Year of Crockpotting blog many years ago. I made it a couple years ago for Christmas Eve dinner:

4 c. water, 1 c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. butter, pinch of salt, 2 cinnamon sticks, and 1/4 tsp, nutmeg. Heat together in a small crockpot on high until butter melts and drink is hot. Serve with a splash of rum and/or eggnog.

I bet you could 1/4 the recipe to make just a couple drinks.

It makes your lips slippery. Unless you have too much rum, then it makes your slips lippery.

• Like 6