Menu

How to 'prove' lab work for AP Chemistry

Sorry if this has been covered before, I can't find it.

Still deciding if my son is going to do SAT subject test or AP test for Chemistry.* For Chemistry I see talk of needing to do labs, however all I can find is 'Colleges may require students to present their laboratory materials from AP science courses before granting college credit for laboratory, so students are encouraged to retain their laboratory notebooks, reports, and other materials.' So does that mean for the actual test/accreditation we don't need to present anything, just do the test to get the grade?

*Before we veer off in to 'you don't need to do AP' or 'lab skills are important' - for applying to a UK university we DO need AP or SAT subject test results; we are working on basic lab skills but for what my son wants to do we really need a theoretical basis of chemistry and that is what we are concentrating on.

I'm not aware of anything the College Board requires as far as proof of a lab component when you sign up to take an AP exam, although I would assume some of the questions/concepts covered would be difficult to answer well without having had that component. They just want your money in return for a score ;)

The way I read the quote in your post is that once you have taken the exam and have a score and have selected a college, that individual college may ask to see proof of a lab component before awarding you credit for your exam score.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I'm not aware of anything the College Board requires as far as proof of a lab component when you sign up to take an AP exam, although I would assume some of the questions/concepts covered would be difficult to answer well without having had that component. They just want your money in return for a score ;)

The way I read the quote in your post is that once you have taken the exam and have a score and have selected a college, that individual college may ask to see proof of a lab component before awarding you credit for your exam score.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

^^ Agree.  And proof of a lab component for awarding college/university credit is usually provided by submitting the hard-bound lab notebook that the student has kept throughout the AP Chem course.  FWIW, I've never actually heard of anyone being asked to produce the lab notebook but I always err on the side of caution so I have dd's notebook ready if needed. :)