Menu

Favorite math for K and 1st?

Meadowlark

Rightstart, for us.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I know a bit about Rightstart. Do you think I could combine my kids in A? Or would I be doing my 1st grader a disservice?

I forgot to mention that next year I'd have a 2nd, 1st, and K (all currently in school). How might RS work with those 3 grades?

I know a bit about Rightstart. Do you think I could combine my kids in A? Or would I be doing my 1st grader a disservice?

I forgot to mention that next year I'd have a 2nd, 1st, and K (all currently in school). How might RS work with those 3 grades?

I think unless your first grader is behind that would be a disservice. You could start them together, and see how it goes, but you should probably be prepared to move ahead fast for the older.

On the other hand you could move the older through quickly, but do the K and the younger together for a while and see how that goes. I'm more familiar with edition 1 for A, I'm not sure how edition 2 compares for the beginning.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Miquon would allow you to overlap in some places without holding anyone back or rushing anyone ahead. It also lends itself to somewhat more independence than other programs. The same primary manipulative would also be shared. It would take some up front legwork to figure out which threads could be overlapped. The videos on education unboxed might give you ideas for how this would look.

• Like 1

You could do math with the olders and just wait with the kinder if you are pressed for time. I've never done math officially before second grade and neither of my kids so far had trouble jumping into MM2. There is so much repetition in the early grades.

During K and 1st, I bought the MUS blocks and they played with them a lot. I showed them basic addition and subtraction with the blocks (not a difficult concept in that context). I bought shape magnets and they played with them on the fridge and we used the shape names. They baked with me. We counted things. I got a child's measuring tape and they measured things. We had a calendar in the kitchen and pointed out days and discussed our weeks. It was easy, fun, and simple.

If you are pressed for enough time to work with everyone in the younger grades, I've found that K and even 1st math does not need the time commitment of a curriculum.

• Like 3

RightStart is great for those early years. If you’re going to try to combine, I would use Level B.

RS is teacher intensive, but the biggest time suck is the games. It uses games for math fact practice, and the games can take anywhere from 15-40 moniutes. This is where it would be beneficial to have kids going through the program together, because they could play the games together, with you just loosely monitoring as needed for accuracy.

• Like 3

I love RightStart too.   I also agree that you can totally start in level B.   

BTW---I have two children who are 16 months apart.   I have always combined them in as many subjects as possible....including math.  They are now in 5th and 4th grade respectively.    I always kept my oldest son at grade level and just taught the same material to both of them.    We used RightStart in the early years, then mostly Singapore.  (I supplemented with Beast Academy and Math Mammoth for extra practice when needed.) 

I, of course, adjusted my expectations when they were VERY little.   (For example, I didn't expect her numbers to be written as neatly as her older brother when they were in K and 1st.)     And sometimes she required just a little bit more practice than her brother.   (Especially in 3rd grade when we hit long division.)   But she still does math with her older brother.   

And, I would have separated them if needed.  I wouldn't have held her brother back in math just because it was convenient for me.   My daughter is not as strong in language skills as she is in math, so I have had to separate them in spelling and in Latin...but they still do math together.      But I just wanted to share my story because it is possible to combine kids very close in age without holding anyone back.    I always start that way as the default and if needed make changes later.  :)  

We loved Miquon here for 2 DSs, 20 months apart. I could not do their Math and LA together. They were officially 1 grade apart, but for Math and LA subjects were more like 2-3 grades apart (DS#1 was advanced, DS#2 had mild LDs). For things like History, Science, Geography, the Arts, etc., it was a snap to do them together.

Miquon is is designed for grades K-3, and is discovery-based, very hands-on (uses Cuisenaire rods), and is very flexible as it allows you to move forward through different topics and complete one workbook at a time, OR, follow a topic from workbook to workbook until the student "hits a wall" with that topic, and then drop back to the earlier workbook and start the next topic and move forwards with it.

Edited by Lori D.