Menu

What to buy for first apartment?

gingersmom

My daughter has a year of college left and then will be living in her own apartment.

I'm thinking of buying some holiday gifts she can use in her first place.

I'm definitely stocking up on fiesta ware (her favorite) but was trying to think of some fun things to buy.

She loves my colored measuring spoons from Wal Mart so I will get those.

She's not into cooking at all and living on her own will not change that (at least initially), she doesn't drink coffee/tea.

Any fun ideas?

Nice Baking sheet (I needed one even when I didn’t cook much!)

Towels/shower curtain/ bathroom stuff if you know her style/preferences

Fun throw blankets

Pretty floor lamp

Tervis Entertaining glasses in fun colors would be nice with her fiesta dishes (I have these and really like them a lot)

Nice Candles/holders/plug ins (I loved these from Bath & Body Works when I was in my first apartment...before I discovered that these scents give me a massive headache)

Nice sheets

That’s all I can think of for now!

• Like 1

Something for the front door? Outside: welcome mat, planter/plant. Inside: small foyer table or shelf, cute key ring holder, small artsy mirror. A hat rack or coat rack, or bench, depending on where she lives and if there's room. 

Room-darkening curtains, maybe a valance in the common area

table setting - place mats, something decorative for the center of the table, tablecloth (she may not cook or entertain now, but inevitably an occasion arises!)

fridge magnets - fun ones, family pictures ones, practical ones (my favorite is a measuring conversion chart!)

a bamboo silverware drawer insert, filled :)

I'd give her a small tea collection just to have on hand for guests - with 2 or so tea-cups (it won't take up much room)

DIY headboard (if she'll be living close enough that you can make and deliver it easily) .. apartment walls get depressing sometimes!

Fall/Winter in a box (small tree or other Oct-Feb decorations limited to a medium sized plastic tote) ... easily stored under her bed, in the outdoor storage (if available), or in the closet ... can be followed by another small box for Spring/Summer holidays (Mar-Sept.)

throw pillows to go with the already suggested throw blankets ... maybe even some snuggly socks or slippers if it's tile/laminate flooring

nice robe

if she doesn't have a washer/dryer in the unit, a "quarter jar" (filled!) 

a radio for the bathroom is always nice :) 

• Like 1

Not really fun......but needed:

Basic tool set...screwdrivers, wrenches, hammer, nails, screws, tape measure, small level, etc.

First Aid Kit....either prepackaged or mom made with pain/fever meds, basic bandages, antibiotic ointment, etc. maybe a book of basic first aid

Fire extinguishers

Carbon Monoxide/smoke/fire detectors

Depending on where she has been living......basic office supplies...envelopes, stamps, sharpie markers, tape, note pads, etc.

• Like 5

Lots of things:

Silverware, plates, cups, glasses, etc.

Towels, sheets, comforter

A set of pots and pans

Mixing bowls, a pyrex measuring cup, other measuring devices

A cookie sheet, pyrex baking dish, casserole dish

Salt and pepper dispensers

(I know you said she doesn't cook, but she still needs to eat, heat things up, etc.)

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

Will she want you to get the things for her?  For me, I wanted to pick out my own things for my first apartment.  I was pretty firm in that.

Instead of getting stuff for her outright, I'd see if she'd rather have a coupon as a present, "One afternoon together picking out things for your new apartment.  Coupon Value $200" (or however much you plan on spending on her.)

Or ask her to create a registry somewhere for you to get things for her if you don't have time to shop together.

If you do have time to shop together, brainstorm with her about what sorts of things she needs for each room before you head out.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

all white fluffy and big towels (can easily be bleached)

super comfy couch blanket for snuggling up.

Good lighting, apartments have crappy lights

Real wood furniture if you buy furniture.  That crappy mdf stuff is not worth it (I would and have gone without before getting that stuff).

but really I'd tell her I have XX.XX put back for when you move for all the things we can't think of right now.

I have kids the same age, and while I am tempted to do the same, I remind myself I don't want to store all that stuff. LOL 

I have bought a few items that were on super sales and keep them in a cupboard, and a few have ended up being good wedding presents for other people along the way. LOL

Bowl, colander, lid set that all stack together as one. 

A muffin tin with a plastic lid.

Good wooden spoons

Chef's knife

Small cutting board

Glass cake pan with lid

2 Glass pyrex storage containers with lid (freezer, fridge, oven)

Silverware

Pot Holders

Citrus squeezer

(I like things to have lids, so they don't need saran wrap/foil)

I'm watching for a phenomenally good price on cookie sheets, pizza cutter, bread pan, silpats, metal spoons, pastry brush, spatulas, turners, basic uni-sex apron etc.

I would avoid buying bedding, blankets and pillows due to decor choices and storage

If I had storage...

a broom/dust pan. 

Cleaning items like bar towels, kitchen dish rags, toilet brush, duster, scrub brush for shower, kitchen sponges if you use them (wait to buy chemicals to keep them fresh)

Basic tool set

• Like 2

I honestly wouldn't buy anything THIS holiday for THAT far out, unless maybe going with the gift card idea or setting the stage for a gradual collection of Fiestaware. Too many variables, and storing stuff is such a pain.  It would be a shame to spend money and store items that may have no use/room wherever she eventually winds up.

• Like 2

a can opener...maybe not cute and fun, but practical

does she eat toast?  Maybe a toaster or toaster oven?

cutting board

curtains (when you know what size)...my MIL bought us a lot of curtains which I appreciated

vacuum cleaner...again not fun, but practical 

microwave?  good for people who don't cook much and just heat stuff up... 

Like some others have more or less said - I wouldn't get too much unless you are absolutely certain you know what she likes and that her taste won't change.

A coupon (Ikea or Target or something) would certainly be nice and there is no harm in picking up some small stuff like measuring spoons, can opener, first aid kit, tools etc.

• Like 1

When I got my first apartment I quickly realized just how much all of the little stuff adds up. I had hand-me-down furniture, but every single day it seemed like I was discovering more things that I needed and even though they were (mostly) small purchases they added up quickly, and I ended up broke. Even if your daughter isn't into cooking she's going to need a way to feed herself, even if it's just warming up leftover carry-out, making simple sandwiches, bowls of cereal, preparing a frozen pizza, etc. 

Some of the things I remember needing: 

dishes

silverware

dish strainer

towels and dishclothes 

cookware

can openers and other random spatulas, spoons, etc. 

cutting board

knives 

basic bakeware (a cookie sheet, a baking dish, etc.)

measuring cups/spoons

something to hold silverware 

laundry hamper

vacuum cleaner

broom and dustpan

basic cleaners 

mop

bucket 

trash cans for bathroom and kitchen 

basic tools (screwdrivers, hammer, measuring tape, etc.)

towels

shower curtain/liner 

bath mat 

toilet bowl brush 

lamps

clothes hangers 

Edited by Wabi Sabi
  • Like 2

I honestly wouldn't buy anything THIS holiday for THAT far out, unless maybe going with the gift card idea or setting the stage for a gradual collection of Fiestaware. Too many variables, and storing stuff is such a pain. It would be a shame to spend money and store items that may have no use/room wherever she eventually winds up.

I was actually thinking the opposite, that doing this is similar to building up a modern-day hope chest. It is the same concept, but done with modern needs, apartment living and a single lifestyle in mind.

• Like 1