Menu

Holiday baking help please.

lynn

If I make a what usually is a very moist Bundt cake on Tuesday (thanksgiving week) will it still be good thanksgiving day? How would I store it? I plan on purchasing a cake carrier thing. TIA

Also the thanksgiving hosts asked for side and dessert. Most sides are already spoken for. I thought about brining nice cheese and crackers on a nice platter for hostess to keep? This okay or other ideas?

If I make a what usually is a very moist Bundt cake on Tuesday (thanksgiving week) will it still be good thanksgiving day? How would I store it? I plan on purchasing a cake carrier thing. TIA

Also the thanksgiving hosts asked for side and dessert. Most sides are already spoken for. I thought about brining nice cheese and crackers on a nice platter for hostess to keep? This okay or other ideas?

I think a moist Bundt would still be fine. After it is completely cooled, I'd wrap it in plastic and then foil and store it in frig. Take it out a few hours before serving to come to room temp.

I don't want to be discouraging, but cheese and crackers seems more like an appetizer than a side.

What is already spoken for?

Bundt cakes get better with a few days. :) Wrap it well and when you unwrap, dust it with a bit of powdered sugar.

Theres so many Thanksgiving sides. Broccoli or Kale salad? Cranbrosia? What's a side your family likes that not so obvious?

They are pretty basic when it comes to sides. So something beyond basics no one but my sister a d I will eat. Cranbrosia sounds good. But no one else would touch it.

I think a moist Bundt would still be fine. After it is completely cooled, I'd wrap it in plastic and then foil and store it in frig. Take it out a few hours before serving to come to room temp.

I don't want to be discouraging, but cheese and crackers seems more like an appetizer than a side.

What is already spoken for?

I know just trying to co me up with something to bring since all basics are covered and most people there won't touch anything out of the ordinary. Corn okay but a good corn casserole nope. Mashed potatoes okay but not an gratin or hash brown casseroles. Now an ambrosia would be good good but only my sister and I would eat it which might be good since most sides are heavy

They both sound great to me. One other idea for a side is a nice autumn-y salad. Thanksgiving is always so heavy and I love having a salad to munch on as a side dish. You could add in some chopped pecans, dried cranberries, sliced apples and have a maple balsamic for a dressing. 

• Like 1

I know just trying to co me up with something to bring since all basics are covered and most people there won't touch anything out of the ordinary. Corn okay but a good corn casserole nope. Mashed potatoes okay but not an gratin or hash brown casseroles. Now an ambrosia would be good good but only my sister and I would eat it which might be good since most sides are heavy

I'm sorry...I figured you were stuck for ideas.

I wasn't trying to be the Pedantic Thanksgiving Side Dish Police. :D

Maybe a small, special variation of a basic that only the 3 of you would eat WOULD be the way to go. Maybe others would taste it and find something new that they like.

• Like 2

I think if everything is spoken for and you already know the group won't eat various sides, then cheese and crackers is fine. 

I make hot spiced fruit for holiday meals and it goes over well even in a non-adventurous crowd. It's drained canned peaches, pears, and apricots, nuts, raisins, with some OJ concentrate, brown sugar and spices. 

I like the cheese and crackers idea. It would work well at my extended family gathering where NOBODY eats anything ‘out of the norm’ and also where appetizers aren’t eaten before the meal. If it’s appetizer-y, it’s served right along with the meal. I know my DS who eats only rolls at a huge Thanksgiving meal would be *thrilled* to see cheese and crackers. :)

--What is it?

++It's a Bundt.

--Bun?

++Bundt.

--Bun...k?

++Bundt. Bundt. It's a Bundt cake.

--Oh. Thank you! Thank you very much...(whispers) There's a hole in this cake!

/My Big Fat Greek Wedding

I love that show and that scene. I told ds to go get my bundt pan. He started laughing and saying butt pan

• Like 2