Menu

Online Writing Class

I would love some help choosing a writing curriculum. I am trying to look ahead to ninth grade next year for my son. I’m particularly interested in these courses and am wondering if anyone can give me feedback.

My son has no special needs but is not a huge fan of writing (especially creative writing). I would say he is average for his grade and doesn’t struggle with the process of writing at all, he just doesn’t enjoy it.

I’ve been looking at:

• Writing with Skill 2 (we currently use WWS 1 but am waiting until the end o the year to decide how well we like it).

• Essentials in Writing 9

• Big River Academy online (Writing ER)

• www.fortuigence.com (Essay Rock Star)

• Bravewriter online (most hesitant about this one because of cost and our budget)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

• Like 1

My son doesn't enjoy writing at all but I enrolled him in Write at Home in the HS Expository Writing Class.  I think they offer three different levels of this class and all of the sessions are six weeks long.  It's his first online writing class and so far he is really enjoying it, which is a bit surprising to me because he really struggled to get started with writing.  The class uses Canvas for tracking and it is very easy to use.  The teacher doesn't give grades on the papers but rather feedback which is very positive and used to determine what he should improve on.  I wanted my son to engage in a nurturing class environment and just get used to writing papers every week to develop his skills.   Overall, I highly recommend it! :thumbup1:

If you choose an online class make sure that you ask specifically and at minimum these questions

1) what kind of feedback they will get on each writing piece and how timely the feedback will be.  

2) How many essays will be written and what the lengths will be

3) What other assignments will be given weekly

4) What kind of live instruction(if any) there is. If at all possible view a class recording.

IMO it is getting harder to find affordable quality writing courses.  

You will probably have to ask the question of the specific teacher rather than of the company, but that may depend on the company. 

If the course changes teachers as the semester nears, ask the questions again of the new teacher and if you don't like the answers, try to get a refund. 

Kendall 

Any chance he enjoys logic?

My 10th grader is in WTM Rhetoric Writing and is finally finding her groove.

We did WWS and it was fine, Bravewriter was so so, but this class is a winning combination. She's able to enjoy her love of logic while improving her average love of writing. In fact she may find that love LOVES writing by the end of the year. 

I think it's a three year program. 

hth

• Like 1