Menu

Mixing Old and New Books

sea_mommy

I think that I finally have a system that will work for organizing all of our books.  The problem?  I have many older books (bought used) and they are a bit musty smelling.  Most of the books that I have are new and I don't want to mix them all together for fear that the new books will start smelling musty also.  But, if I don't put them all together, it sort of messes up the organizing system (all world history books together, all us history together, all art together, etc).  Any suggestions?

That sounds untenable long term. Have you tried putting the musty books in Ziploc in the freezer or out in the sunshine? I bet the internet has ideas for "curing" the old books.

I've tried everything and nothing has worked.  :(  So, I figure that I need to either keep them entirely separate from the new books or get rid of them, which would be a huge loss. 

You said you've tried everything, so ignore me if this is annoying 😉 but have you tried sprinkling bicarb through the books and then bagging them for a month or so? I bought a set of books second hand online once, and was dismayed to find that they stank of cigarette smoke (asthma trigger). The bicarb/bagging did the job, and I was amazed. You might need to Google the full details of the method.

Failing that, can you replicate your system? One shelf for new books, another for old, each arranged according to topic? I know, kinds of defeats the purpose of the system, but I don't see what else you could do if you don't want to mix old and new books.

Good luck!

• Like 1