Menu

I hate it when life throws everything at you all at once

Melissa in Australia

Good news dh's surgery went well. They were able to do keyhole surgery, which has a better recovery time, and there was no problem from the scar tissue.

Children's hospital appointments all done. Twin one will need foot reconstruction surgery in the new year then rounds of full leg casts and will still need to wear AFO's afterwards. Tomorrow I do the public transport trip home, one of my ds will pick dh up from hospital and dd will sit with him to make sure he is ok for the day.

It is always the dreading of things happening than the doing that is the most stressful to me

Other hugely stressful event has moved onto the next stage. :-( We have no idea what outcomes will be or when. We have appealed.

• Like 16

Glad the surgery and other appointments went well.

One step at a time. Sometimes one day at a time is too much so I go one step at a time. I have been where you are and the stress can be overwhelming.

Take care of yourself. Self care is super important....sleep, eating, take a walk, visit with a friend, etc. Just don't neglect yourself.

• Like 7

Good news dh's surgery went well. They were able to do keyhole surgery, which has a better recovery time, and there was no problem from the scar tissue.

Children's hospital appointments all done. Twin one will need foot reconstruction surgery in the new year then rounds of full leg casts and will still need to wear AFO's afterwards. Tomorrow I do the public transport trip home, one of my ds will pick dh up from hospital and dd will sit with him to make sure he is ok for the day.

It is always the dreading of things happening than the doing that is the most stressful to me

Other hugely stressful event has moved onto the next stage. :-( We have no idea what outcomes will be or when. We have appealed.

I only have direct experience with one of those things- two of my kids have clubfeet, one has had a relapse.  SUCH a PITA!!!  I mean, I know there are worse things in the world, but strapping kids into orthotics day after day after day after day... and still not being sure that surgery won't be necessary.  UGH.  

Not sure if you're dealing with clubfoot or another fun foot problem, but I feel that pain!  

• Like 1

Yes clubfoot in both feet. Apparently he had surgery to shift a tendon when small. He has had many bouts of full leg casts on both legs. One foot is quite deformed ( orthapiedic surgeon's words) it is complicated by not having treatment while an infant( birth parent's neglect). He didn't start walking until 3 1/2. He has less than 15 degrees movement in the one foot and apparently it is getting worse and starting to twist again. The surgery will be to split a tendon that attaches to the top of the foot and reattach half of it over towards the outside of the foot to help pull it around.

The poor kid has terrible fungal problems on his feet because they are encased in plastic 24 hours a day.

Yes clubfoot in both feet. Apparently he had surgery to shift a tendon when small. He has had many bouts of full leg casts on both legs. One foot is quite deformed ( orthapiedic surgeon's words) it is complicated by not having treatment while an infant( birth parent's neglect). He didn't start walking until 3 1/2. He has less than 15 degrees movement in the one foot and apparently it is getting worse and starting to twist again. The surgery will be to split a tendon that attaches to the top of the foot and reattach half of it over towards the outside of the foot to help pull it around.

The poor kid has terrible fungal problems on his feet because they are encased in plastic 24 hours a day.

OH, that poor kiddo!!!  You've probably already gone through all the stages of grief on this, but to me, hearing for the first time of that medical neglect... well, I'm spitting mad.  Clubfeet are difficult, that's a given.  But to not have received treatment as an infant... oh the poor guy.  

I hope you've got a good orthopedic surgeon.  Ours actually specializes in kids who have had poor prior treatment.  I wish I could send him to you!!!    

• Like 1

Poor guy.  I'm glad you are there for him.  Sounds like he really needs/ed you!

• Like 1