Menu

Reviews BJU science with video

bethben

We tried the 4th grade science DVDs a couple of years ago (actually, IIRC, we used some sort of streaming option, but I assume they are the same videos). For us, yes, they were too long, and just generally too slow and schooly. The teacher was nice, but when we go through the text independently, I freely skip things that I thought were a waste of time, and we discuss things in a more efficient manner. The videos might be effective (I have no idea) but for us, they were simply too long and slow. We only made it through maybe 2 chapters before I threw in the towel on them.

• Like 1

Oh, I also remember that it felt a bit "childish" compared to what our kids are used to. We tend to talk to our kids like adults. The teacher for the class was nice, but the delivery sounded kind of like a little kid Sunday School class. I don't meant to sound so critical, but just giving my and my kids' opinions based on the first couple of chapters covered.

Isn't length sorta relative? BJUPressHomeschool.com will have samples of every video course and state the lengths. They've been going back, re-recording and SHORTENING the classes. It has been a huge issue that the long classes weren't holding the attention of some kids. 

My ds has a multitude of diagnoses, including ASD, ADHD-combined (if you believe it, he tests as having perfect attention, lol), 3 SLDs, etc. For him, the BJU 4 science videos are FINE, absolutely positively perfectly fine. Well if you can put up with the fact that the woman mispronounces words, leading him to slam the screen and leave the room. We finally gave up on that chapter. She kept doing it over and over and over, ugh. 

Anyways, look at the posted lengths and decide for yourself. I think if you're saying the high school (boring) lectures with a very, very ADHD student like my dd, yeah you're gonna have an issue. But the lower grade classes are going to be shorter. That will vary with the kid.

We are using BJU DVD for math, science and history for 2nd and 5th grade.  The science videos are never more than 15 minutes long, and most are around 10 minutes.  I like them because the instructor gives a lot of information and makes it more interesting than I can.  For the first time ever, science is actually getting done!  They don't love every single lesson, but at least it is getting done:) I feel good knowing they are building a solid science foundation.  The 5th grade science teacher, Mrs. Ingersol, is very good!  

Most of the time, science takes around 30-35 minutes a day. This includes the video, the worksheet (if one is assigned and if I decide he should do it), and reading the text.  Sometimes I have him outline a section of his text and have him write a short summary as well.  

I am sure other programs out there are more interesting and fun, but I never have the time or energy to implement them.  I guess for us, the best program is the program that gets done consistently, so we will continue BJU.

Edited by 4pillars
  • Like 2