Menu

Veritas press at your own pace history

We have used it this year for my 4th grader. She does the program independently. She loves it and often chooses to do more than one lesson a day. She wants to continue with the next level. Her retention has been great. There is a lot of fun review. It is from a Christian perspective. It is possible to do without the timeline cards, but, I would definitely recommend them. They are very helpful for reference throughout the program. VP’s other recommended books aren’t necessary at all. We use MFW and use the history books with this program to round it out, since we already have them. It seems to go on a 50% off sale about every 3 months. I’m hoping for a sale around January.

It was a dud here. My dd needed more discussion and writing to really enjoy history. The self-paced was less engaging than reading books together for us. We can do history more thoroughly in less time with books, discussion and some writing.

My kids are fine with some screen time learning, but prefer live instruction for the lesson.

We've used all 5 time periods and both of my kids love it. What I like: the content is by lecture through costumed narrators, which has held the attention of my kids well; it has lots of interactive games to review; incorporates some Biblical events into the secular timeline; taught from a Biblical worldview; incorporates the timeline (using the cards) and geography. 

Honestly, at this point because I'm a single mom and freelancing/writing, I need some independent coursework. I still teach math, grammar, writing, Bible and more, but I love being able to take history off my plate and I love that my kids can do history even if it's a busy morning for me. 

We like it but don't love it. I feel like the lessons stretch out (unnecessarily) at times. They could totally shave 5 minutes off each lesson by reducing the lengthy intros and such. The memory song for Explorers is over 4 minutes! My kids detest every last second of that song & the program won't let you skip it.

Edited by alisoncooks