Menu

Entertaining children while traveling

4KookieKids

Hello! I'm looking for ideas for keeping kids entertained while traveling. I'd like them to not take up a ton of space, since space is somewhat limited. Outside of screens (games/movies/etc.) and coloring/sticker books, what keeps your kids busy when on long trips? Kids are 8,6,4, and 2 years old, for reference, and we'll have mostly plane and long train rides, with about four long car trips thrown in as well. (We're travelling for about 5 weeks straight...) We've tried a variety of things in the past, but generally feel a bit ho-hum about them.

Here's our travel bag currently:

Pipe cleaners

a Tiddly Winks game or something of the sort for airports.

Window clings (not the gel ones. They stain)  You can make your own of plain shapes

A compass & atlas

Bingo  (I made a few cards. One for airports, one for train travel, and one for car)

a lunchbox with legos in it

solitaire games

Play dough with pipe cleaners and a daily pill organizer filled with buttons, large sequins, googly eyes, and wooden beads. So many monsters and fairies and people and buildings created!

Daily pill organizer with themed erasers; we have Dino’s, cars, planes, jungle animals, and... bunnies? Cats? I can’t remember. Half sheet size laminated play mats for building worlds for the eraser critters.

Magnetic tanagrams

Audiobooks or something like Classical Kids or Beethoven's Wig

I printed off a bunch of games and put them in page protectors. Battleship, Bingo (with Road signs and sights), and something else I can’t remember. Dry erase markers worked well, and they were big hits.

I also hid small bags of treats in my bag, and every 45-60 minutes I handed out a treat. That broke the trip into small bits.

Wiki sticks are fun and don't take up a lot of room. I would have a surprise bag filled with treats and small toys/crafts like others have suggested. Pull something new out at strategic times, when they are bored with screens, getting wiggly or on the verge of a meltdown. If you can download new games and movies here and there when you have WiFi that will keep things fresh too.