Menu

What's with the ads?

JennSnow

Just Venting - Non-Committal HS'ers...is it just my area?

I have a few non-flaky homeschooler friends, but the rest drive me crazy.

I am required to plan one field trip per year for our co-op. This year I decided to plan a free field trip that I would have been happy to do with my own kids by ourselves. If no one showed up, it wouldn’t matter because I would just do it with my own kids. That plan helped me a lot because I didn’t care too much when many of the committed families flaked out. My kids and I had a great day and a useful, educational outing despite what the rest of our “friends†did.

Honestly I prefer to spend time with the families of our travel club teams. We all have to pay $800-$1200 per season just for fees. No question everyone shows up for everything, and they arrive early!

• Like 1

I also hold dual citizenship in Flaky Land.  Nowadays I rarely organize anything for the general homeschooling public.  I invite families I know well to be reliable and low maintenance.  They also happen to be my kids' friends.   

I think unreliable families end up not being invited to future events, and they wonder why there aren't more trips organized for them.  

• Like 6

We don't do a lot of group field trips, but once we were invited by a family (that we didn't really know) to an event at a state park, an hour away. We showed up at the arranged time and waited. And waited. The EVENT ORGANIZER and her kids were an hour late (and acted like it was no big deal). I was so annoyed.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

The very first field trip I went on as a homeschooler was in San Diego in 1982. My friend organized it: a 4-hour, behind-the-scene tour of the San Diego Zoo. She got verbal "commitments" from enough people to do the tour (probably 20 bodies). At least half didn't show up, and it turned out that we paid for 20 whether we had 20 or not, and it was more than $10 per person. Ouch.

Totally off topic but just wanted to say we just moved to San Diego, and it's a good thing that didn't happen today, because now they would have been out around $50 per person (ok, with group rates, I'm sure less...but still!). 

• Like 1

In don’t find this to be homeschoolers but people in general. Many many people take advantage of planners and just ride along without ever taking notice to a he havoc they cause because commitment means nothing. And I’m tired of people saying it’s because they are just too busy. I homeschool, run a medium sized construction company, have a farm, and live 70 miles from a grocery store! So I know I’m as busy as the average person!

Happens here too.

I don't host field trips at all anymore and I don't talk to people that have stood us up more than once. I'm much happier for it.

I can't stand when people are late. I'm one of those people who is always early because so much is unpredictable and I HATE being late.   

We went on a trip a few years ago to a local small amusement/water park.  The person organizing emphasized that everyone needed to be there on time because she wanted to go inside as soon as the gates opened and did not want to wait on people.  Every reminder she mentioned the importance of being on time, leave early, etc etc etc.

Guess who was late? :glare:

• Like 1

I can't stand when people are late. I'm one of those people who is always early because so much is unpredictable and I HATE being late.

We went on a trip a few years ago to a local small amusement/water park. The person organizing emphasized that everyone needed to be there on time because she wanted to go inside as soon as the gates opened and did not want to wait on people. Every reminder she mentioned the importance of being on time, leave early, etc etc etc.

Guess who was late? :glare:

And sometimes things DO happen, but if it happens with the same person twice, I change the start time for those people

Who show up late. I’ve even been known to have two mailing lists—one for the timely members and one for the others!

We don't do a lot of group field trips, but once we were invited by a family (that we didn't really know) to an event at a state park, an hour away. We showed up at the arranged time and waited. And waited. The EVENT ORGANIZER and her kids were an hour late (and acted like it was no big deal). I was so annoyed.

Back in the day, one of the *leaders* of our countywide group was notorious for being late. Not just a little late, mind you, but LATE. For a season, she was a co-leader of a youth award group with me; I fired her after our first camp out, because late and other issues. :cursing:

Homeschoolers are Flakes.

Not all, but many, and you are t the only one to be left in the lurch and frustrated (or embarrassed) by this.

Herding cats.

I find there are fewer flake outs when things are made formal through IRL groups.  When you MUST sign up, you MUST pay in advance (even if $1), and you MUST arrive by X:00, people are more likely to commit.

We still got a drop out without notification on a recent (paid for) field trip, but it was one family, not a half dozen.  To be perfectly honest, it was a trip that I felt very on the fence about when I woke up that morning, too.  If I hadn't signed up and paid, I might have fallen on the other side!  I'm in no way saying that's okay, just that sometimes I don't want to do the right thing, either.

Adding, just last week, our co-op scheduled a free activity.  A co-director and I were running behind in an earlier meeting. Neither one of us wanted to go at that point, and people were starting to drop out.  It looked like we might be in the clear!  Then two people responded that they were running late, but trying to make it.  So, we went. And it was just our two families the whole time, not really wanting to be there.  :svengo:

The best homeschoolers we ever partnered with were former military.  They were all conditioned to be 5 minutes early (or 5 minutes early to their 5 minutes early) :lol: .