Menu

Romance fans: help me out before a quick “emergency� trip to the bookstore

Greta

I'm so sorry life has been so challenging lately! 

Gentle  :grouphug:

I am not familiar with that author, but I did a very quick look, and I think this may work. I really enjoyed this series (I read 8 out of 9 books so far). It is fairly clean - the most you get to see is kissing, and the stories are fun. Each book is a rewriting of sorts of a fairy tale, like Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty and the Beast, etc., but they are quite different from what one would expect. These are quick to read and just fun. No affiliation with the author, Amazon, etc. I just enjoy these books and bought my copies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748N1L51/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

• Like 2

I have only read one Laura Kinsale (Lessons in French) but here are a couple of authors that fill my Romance Novel needs.  If they are steamier than I remember the Kinsale book being....Don't think too badly of me :)

Tessa Dare (Start with the Spindle Cove series)

Julia Quinn (The first in the Bridgertons series is The Duke & I but I also enjoyed the Bevelstoke series)

Lisa Kleypas (The Wallflower series starts with Secrets of a Summer Night and after that series The Hathaways series starts with Mine 'Til Midnight)

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

I've read and enjoyed a number of her books (my favorites are Flowers From the Storm and My Sweet Folly); I hope you find something that hits the spot.

Some suggestions:

Connie Brockway's My Dearest Enemy (particularly if you liked My Sweet Folly)

Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady

Delicious by Sherry Thomas

LaVyrle Spencer's Morning Glory

Judith Ivory's Untie my Heart.

I found a post with plenty of other recommendations ~

If You Like Laura Kinsale…. Hosted by Janine   -- be sure you read the comments!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Thank you all so much! Unfortunately, my local book store’s selection did not seem to match up very well with your suggestions, but I appreciate your help anyway! Amber, I didn’t get your post in time, but I’m saving your list for my next trip. And, um, steamy is not really a problem to my mind anyway, so no worries there, lol.

I’m very new to the romance genre, so I’m not even sure how Laura Kinsale compares to other authors. I just stumbled upon her rather by accident, and I like her historical settings, her flawed but fascinating characters, and the interesting circumstances that she puts them in. I’m certainly open to other suggestions, whether they are similar in style to her or not.

Gentle :grouphug:

Thanks! It’s not a big deal, and it could be a lot worse, it just gets me down every once in awhile anyway. I appreciate the kind thought!

I am not familiar with that author, but I did a very quick look, and I think this may work. I really enjoyed this series (I read 8 out of 9 books so far). It is fairly clean - the most you get to see is kissing, and the stories are fun. Each book is a rewriting of sorts of a fairy tale, like Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty and the Beast, etc., but they are quite different from what one would expect. These are quick to read and just fun. No affiliation with the author, Amazon, etc. I just enjoy these books and bought my copies.

Those look fun! This particular bookstore didn’t have them, but I will continue looking for them. Edited by Greta
  • Like 2

I've read and enjoyed a number of her books (my favorites are Flowers From the Storm and My Sweet Folly); I hope you find something that hits the spot.

So far, My Sweet Folly is my favorite, but I’ve loved every single book of hers that I’ve read. I’ve still got a few to go. I get them on audiobook (love Nicholas Boulton’s voice!) and listen to them while I workout. It’s pretty much the only thing keeping me exercising right now!

Some suggestions:

Connie Brockway's My Dearest Enemy (particularly if you liked My Sweet Folly)

Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady

Delicious by Sherry Thomas

LaVyrle Spencer's Morning Glory

Judith Ivory's Untie my Heart.

I found a post with plenty of other recommendations ~

If You Like Laura Kinsale…. Hosted by Janine -- be sure you read the comments!

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you so much! The only one on this list I’ve read is Morning Glory, and I liked it a lot. So I think you’ve definitely found some suggestions that will work wonderfully for me. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thank you so much! The only one on this list I’ve read is Morning Glory, and I liked it a lot. So I think you’ve definitely found some suggestions that will work wonderfully for me. Thanks again!

You are quite welcome!  If you read any of them, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Gentle  :grouphug:

Wait... what's the point then?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Kidding...

But if you enjoy a little more... err... descriptive passages, I've really enjoyed the Stolen Brides series by Thacker- they have a historical fiction element, and main characters in one book play minor roles in other books, which is a nice touch.  I don't generally read romance, but these were a super-fun distraction after surgery earlier this year.

*tiptoes back out of thread*

• Like 1

I have only read one Laura Kinsale (Lessons in French) but here are a couple of authors that fill my Romance Novel needs. If they are steamier than I remember the Kinsale book being....Don't think too badly of me :)

Tessa Dare (Start with the Spindle Cove series)

Julia Quinn (The first in the Bridgertons series is The Duke & I but I also enjoyed the Bevelstoke series)

Lisa Kleypas (The Wallflower series starts with Secrets of a Summer Night and after that series The Hathaways series starts with Mine 'Til Midnight)

Amber in SJ

I second all of these and will add that Grace Burrowes’ latest series is very entertaining too. :leaving:

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Sorry for my late reply, but I just wanted to thank everyone again for all the help.  I've got a list of all your suggestions, and that should be enough to keep my mind far away from my own troubles for quite some time to come!   :001_smile:

• Like 2