Menu

middle school math

Has anyone after schooled math for middle school - specifically 7th grade.

Dd12 is doing well, but I am a bit worried about the program and how much she's getting out of it.  She's getting very good marks and I think has some potential in that area, and generally likes the subject.

OTOH - she is busy and I don't want to overwhelm her with work either.  It's mostly extra-curricular - choir, violin, piano.  She doesn't have much homework.

I'v no experience with math programs for that level, so I am not sure what might work.  I am thinking I might ask her dad to work on this with her, as he is math and I am not, so it could be a program that needs someone with some experience.

I don't afterschool math because DD needs down time during the week but I do intensively summer school math with the next year's material. This summer, for ex, I used DM7CC and a standard pre-algebra text from the 80s. Next summer, for ex, we're using Dociani and DM8CC. The teaching bits/explanations in my old pre-A and Algegra books are really good for giving her another perspective b/c her school math work is almost all applied math/word problems.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I have little guys still, but my approach is the same as Sneezyone.   At the beginning of the summer I had my boys start doing just 2 pages of math (Math Mammoth) a day in the book for the following year.  Then once school starts they just continue but instead of 2 pages we do 1-2 pages depending on time.  I never have them doing more than 10-15 minutes of math a day during school.   

You could also look at some of the math based games and other apps like Kahn academy.

• Like 1

I don't afterschool math because DD needs down time during the week but I do intensively summer school math with the next year's material. This summer, for ex, I used DM7CC and a standard pre-algebra text from the 80s. Next summer, for ex, we're using Dociani and DM8CC. The teaching bits/explanations in my old pre-A and Algegra books are really good for giving her another perspective b/c her school math work is almost all applied math/word problems.

I have a 6th grader this year, so this subject interests me too. What are the DM7CC books?

Could you please link that one and the pre-algebra text that you are using?

For the OP, my son's school has given the students an account for the Think Through Math website. (I think its called Imagine Math now)

While its nothing new, it helps him get more practice on certain topics. He also practices on Khan Academy occasionally.

I also have a 6th grade textbook that I purchased in India. The topics covered are the same as in the US, but word problems are slightly different

and makes him think from a different perspective.

• Like 1

I have a 6th grader this year, so this subject interests me too. What are the DM7CC books?

Could you please link that one and the pre-algebra text that you are using?

For the OP, my son's school has given the students an account for the Think Through Math website. (I think its called Imagine Math now)

While its nothing new, it helps him get more practice on certain topics. He also practices on Khan Academy occasionally.

I also have a 6th grade textbook that I purchased in India. The topics covered are the same as in the US, but word problems are slightly different

and makes him think from a different perspective.

DM is Dimensions Mathematics. It's (one of) Singapore's middle school math series. I like it because the problems require students to draw on all of their prior knowledge at the same time. Here's a link...https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Mathematics/10&category=Discovering+%2F+Dimensions+Mathematics+%28Gr.+6-8%29/7834

The Pre-A textbook I have is the one I used eons ago. It's great for its clear explanations and has a TON of practice problems. https://smile.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510077430&sr=1-2&keywords=pre+algebra+accelerated+course

We did about an hour a day, five days a week, and focused on topics where she needed more work. Half of that was instruction, the other half was independent practice.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

I am thinking I might ask her dad to work on this with her, as he is math and I am not, so it could be a program that needs someone with some experience.

For supplement/review, I’ll use the free MEP materials from 7th grade to GCSE Level.

For enrichment, I’ll go with the U of Waterloo free math circles materials for 7th/8th grade.

http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/events/mathcircle_presentations.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I have tended to want to go with doing stuff in summer rather than during the school year.  I didn't get to as much as I'd intended this past summer though - dd spent the entire month of August sailing, and we had our family vacation for a week, and some other things.  

So I am thinking about some other approach.  I may just play it by ear a bit.

Arcadia - thatnks, those resources look like a great place to start.  I use ME for my K kids but forgot to think about the later years, and the math circles stuff is great!  I also remembered that there is a math circles program here at the university once a month, and it looks very interesting.  Most of their topics might be too advanced this year but I may see if dh would like to take her to one next month about math and art.  And their website said they have just received funding to allow them to do more middle school based things.