Menu

Dyslexia book that was mind blowing!!!!

ktgrok

So...I just finished this book. My mind is blown. So much great, research based, information on what dyslexia really is, and how to best address it. And a TON of info on fluency, and how it is about orthographic mapping, which requires NOT visual memory or repetitive drilling but advanced phonemic manipulation skills. 

No wonder all the phonics in the world, and all the practice, wasn't helping! There is also a code in the book to access some online resources, including several versions of the PAST test, which checks for phonological awareness. Yeah, my DD sucked at it! Couldn't hear the separate sounds in a lot of words, especially with blends. 

I'm really excited about helping her learn, but also really sad about how actual reading instruction in schools, and often in tutoring centers and home programs don't address the real problem!

• Like 4

This is why, no matter how hard DD and DS worked when they were in school, they made very little progress in reading and spelling.  The school system never addressed the underlying issues.

I was honestly very skeptical when I started DD on Barton.  Level 1 seemed so "nothing".  I thought this stuff should just be intuitive.  Nope.  Not for DD.  The first 3 levels of Barton started unlocking abilities that I worried would never click.  DS needed work through LiPS before he could tackle Barton so he basically was not intuiting even more basic stuff an NT kid normally just picks up.  Once they had those building blocks in place, changes in reading ability started happening pretty rapidly.

I agree, it is sad that most tutors/teachers/schools don't have any clue and are unable to help, not because they don't want to, but because they have not had the training.  They don't have the base knowledge to understand the process.

Thanks so much for the link.  

Disciple alert! LOL  Then you're going to be going around saying how good Barton is, and people will be like oh, I just use WRTR and slow it down or this or that. It sounds snooty to say no, there really is a difference, but now you have the FACTS. You will be our go-to woman on this. :D

• Like 2

LOL. I've already messaged two friends to have them buy this book, lol!  And bought The Road to the Code and Reflex Reading to have on hand. Yeah, I'm a true believer, lol. 

It kill me that looking at the traditional stuff, like those programs aimed at fluency with the repeated readings, that the don't address phonemic skills!!!

• Like 3

Sounds like an interesting book!

Here is a movie you can watch with your daughter explaining why bending and phonemic awareness is hard:

I have some waveforms explaining why on my dyslexia page, scroll down to a bit more than halfway through:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/dyslexia.html

And, the brain research behind it is best in the book by neuroscientist Stanislas Dehaene, "Reading in the Brain," he describes the whole process and has a chapter or two dedicated to dyslexia.

His articles are here, the one showing brain changes and phonemic awareness changes after adult illiterates learned to read is especially interesting, I'll link that one directly:

http://www.unicog.org/publications/Dehaene_Cohen_Morais_Kolinsky_IlliteratetoliterateChangesinducedbyreadingacquisitionNa%20ReviewsNeuroscience2015.pdf

http://www.unicog.org/biblio/Author/DEHAENE-S.html

Here are some of his movies and a few others about the science of reading:

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3

This will make me sound like I should have known better.... I got Reading Reflex and did things with their flimsy cut-outs. It was hard to use; we didn't keep it up too much. A bit later I ended up doing similar things but with real letter tiles. Having the tiles instead of the flimsy cut-outs was HUGE for us.

AAS tiles worked for us, but there are other options for nice tiles from school supply companies. And then if you are doing Barton they have nice tiles I have heard.

So use nice manipulatives/tiles with your Reading Reflex! If it seems helpful etc. It is what I think in retrospect.

I have never read The Road to the Code but I have seen it on Amazon and it looks good, too.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2