Menu

Can I make Thanksgiving ahead?

PeterPan

And I mean really ahead, like 1-2 weeks ahead, a dish at a time. Right now my life is feeling pulled in so many directions, and the day before Thanksgiving I have guests coming in. 

We'll only be a small party (6), so I don't need a lot of food. Like we really don't even want leftovers. I'm open to riffed non-traditional and nobody will be picky or fault me. I just am not thinking through clearly, for whatever reason, what I can make ahead. Like if I can make it two weeks ahead, freeze, and just bake on day of, that would be perfect. 

On the day of, I'll have two ovens and even a small convection oven, a large roaster oven, and numerous crockpots. So if I can just get it made ahead, by myself, with an autistic son needing attention, then actual warming or baking is a nothing. As I say all this, stuff I can dump in a crockpot would be brilliant, hmm.

You know, I hate to blame it on autism, but this really is my first time making Thanksgiving ALONE in many years. I've always had dd here to do most of the work or at least do it together. Now it's me and Mr. Hum. He hums All The Time. God love him, but cooking and humming only go together when you're feeling really perky, lol.

Ok, I found a Martha Stewart list for when you can make things ahead and how to do it. Most of the stuff can be 2-3 days ahead, then just top and bake. That would work.

https://www.marthastewart.com/275391/make-ahead-thanksgiving-recipes?slide=3419261

stuffing-2 days

cranberry sauce-1 week

rolls--freeze in pan before 2nd rising

gravy-3 days

mashed potatoes-1 day and bake

sweet potato or other casseroles--2 days and top before baking

Haven't figured out yet about the pies. I'll keep looking.

• Like 3

Apple or other fruit pie can be frozen ahead. Not sure about the traditional pumpkin or pecan pie.

Yeah, that's the thing. Like if it has cream (mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.), can't imagine it would freeze well. I'm just not sure way ahead is possible, sigh.

How do you make gravy before you roast the turkey? I've always used the drippings from the turkey. 

I always make cranberry sauce ahead of time, and pies, too. 

I've frozen twice baked potatoes that had butter, cream, and cheese. They turned out great so I'm thinking freezing mashed might work too. But they're so easy to make the day ahead and just reheat on T'giving. 

• Like 1

I used 30 day gourmet's site for make-ahead Christmas (we usually have a typical turkey dinner) a couple of years ago. All are make-ahead and freeze.

Sweet Potato Casserole: http://www.30daygourmet.com/sweet-potato-souffle-with-brown-sugar-crumbles/

Mashed Potatoes: http://www.30daygourmet.com/cheesy-mashed-potatoes/

Apple Pie: http://www.30daygourmet.com/apple-crumble-pie/

Pumpkin Pies (mini): http://www.30daygourmet.com/individual-pumpkin-pies/

Here are all their recipes: http://www.30daygourmet.com/recipes/

• Like 3

Do you have a nearby store that sells precooked meals that you just need to warm up? I did that once and it was pretty decent. 

If I wanted to do turkey I would do this a few weeks in advance:

Turkey gravy (recipes are online)

Cook and mash sweet potatoes, then assemble a sweet potato casserole the day of. (easy) or else do baked sweet potatoes the day of. 

Cranberry relish

Rolls

2 days out--chop and saute veggies to add to stuffing. 

Day of :

Assemble sweet potato casserole

Stuffing

Make fresh turkey breasts

Whatever hot veggies you like and salad or relish tray. 

• Like 1

I've tried to convince the family that a rotisserie chicken from Sam's is perfect for Thanksgiving. Would your family go for that? If so, I'd buy one the day before and just warm it up on T-day.

I'd make mac-n-cheese now and freeze it. 

We like sweet potatoes, so I'd make those now and freeze them. I've done that before, and it works.

For a green vegetable - why not just pick up a frozen bag of your favorite?

For rolls - get the frozen individual rolls that take 5 minutes to heat up.

For dessert, Sam's Club has these yummy pumpkin muffins. Would those work or do you need the traditional pie? The frozen pies are pretty good.

• Like 1

How do you make gravy before you roast the turkey? I've always used the drippings from the turkey. 

America's Test Kitchen once suggested that you buy turkey legs/wings ahead of time, brown it, and use those pan drippings. I think their recipe is behind a paywall, but google gave me this result that might be it.  This other result seems similar.

Pioneer Woman has a make ahead (2-3 days) mashed potato recipe here. But be forewarned it took me a LOT longer to reheat it than her directions.  shrug.

For traditional pies, you could always buy that from the bakery or grocery store - or buy a frozen one.

• Like 3

Yes, you can make a lot of things ahead of time and freeze.

Mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese ...freezes great. I would thaw the day before or it willneed a really long baking time. regular mashed potatoes don’t freeze as well. I have a recipe if you want it.

Rolls freeze well. Even if you buy them ready made, buy them now and freeze them.

Cranberries, we buy the can against my better judgement

Sweet potatoes cooked and mashed, freeze well.

Gravy can be made ahead of time but it requires chicken or turkey parts with bone in them, to be baked ahead of time and then make your gravy.

Desserts, pies freeze well. Or buy them, especially if you have a Costco.

As for the turkey, really, I don’t stuff it, so it’s no big deal to rinse, season and put in oven. You could consider a turkey breast and maybe just some legs for the dark meat lovers. Easy.

Stuffing. I use Stove top as somewhere along the line my family decided they prefer it. I doctor it up with celery, onions that I cook with some sausage. I do not add butter. I cook the celery and onions and sausage earlier in the week, but I think you make A casserole and freeze it and bake the day you serve it.

• Like 1

Main Course:  Ree the Pioneer Woman has a recipe for reheatable mashed potatoes.  It involves rather a lot of cream cheese, and I hear that it is wonderful.  I would make the broth for the gravy in advance and freeze it.  I'd precook the veggies for the stuffing a couple of days beforehand, and mix in bread cube stuffing mix at the last minute before stuffing the turkey.  (I like Pepperidge Farm).  For veggies, two days beforehand blanch full length green beans, quench in cold water, and put in a Tupperware marinator.   Mix in some minced shallots.  Dress with a mustardy vinaigrette, and turn the marinator every few hours.  Serve cool on a long platter.  If you have one of those sandwich serving dishes in your china set, that is ideal.

Dessert course:  Make quadruple strength coffee 3 days ahead of time, store in the fridge in a big canning jar.  For a make ahead dessert, I make apple crisp.  Peel and cut up the apples two days in advance, and sprinkle them with lemon juice so they won't go brown.  Mix up the topping and refrigerate it in a canning jar.  And I make meringue crust two days in advance.  Then fill with French silk pie filling.  Keeps really, really well in the fridge.  I beat up the whipped cream, then, too, and store it in a tall canning jar until just before serving.  Then on the day of, as soon as the turkey comes out of the oven, dump the apples into a greased pan, shake the topping all over it, and pop it in the oven for about 35 minutes.  It will make your house smell wonderful.  Boil water for coffee.  And right before dessert, put the whipped cream onto the French silk pie.  Then dilute the quad coffee with three parts of boiling water, and it will be perfect and at a good serving temp.  Easy peasy and everyone will swoon with joy at the great food and your company because you won't be stuck in the kitchen.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

I can't wrap my mind around buying turkey wings in advance to roast in order to make gravy ahead of time.  Two things: It's fairly expensive gravy made that way, and what do you then do with the drippings from your roasted turkey?  

As for reheating mashed potatoes- I made Ree's once and it does take a long time to reheat them!  I think they'd do better in a shallow pan, otherwise they get dried out on top and bottom before the middle is heated through. 

• Like 1

I used 30 day gourmet's site for make-ahead Christmas (we usually have a typical turkey dinner) a couple of years ago. All are make-ahead and freeze.

Sweet Potato Casserole: http://www.30daygourmet.com/sweet-potato-souffle-with-brown-sugar-crumbles/

I had never heard of that! Thanks!!

• Like 1

Yes, you can make a lot of things ahead of time and freeze.

Mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese ...freezes great. I would thaw the day before or it willneed a really long baking time. regular mashed potatoes don’t freeze as well. I have a recipe if you want it.

Rolls freeze well. Even if you buy them ready made, buy them now and freeze them.

Cranberries, we buy the can against my better judgement

Sweet potatoes cooked and mashed, freeze well.

Gravy can be made ahead of time but it requires chicken or turkey parts with bone in them, to be baked ahead of time and then make your gravy.

Desserts, pies freeze well. Or buy them, especially if you have a Costco.

As for the turkey, really, I don’t stuff it, so it’s no big deal to rinse, season and put in oven. You could consider a turkey breast and maybe just some legs for the dark meat lovers. Easy.

Stuffing. I use Stove top as somewhere along the line my family decided they prefer it. I doctor it up with celery, onions that I cook with some sausage. I do not add butter. I cook the celery and onions and sausage earlier in the week, but I think you make A casserole and freeze it and bake the day you serve it.

Thank you!!! That's a lot of the stuff I was trying to figure out, yes. And some of your hacks sound really good for me, like Costco for the pies and StoveTop. I never do that, but this would be a good year for it.

I can't wrap my mind around buying turkey wings in advance to roast in order to make gravy ahead of time.  Two things: It's fairly expensive gravy made that way, and what do you then do with the drippings from your roasted turkey?  

As for reheating mashed potatoes- I made Ree's once and it does take a long time to reheat them!  I think they'd do better in a shallow pan, otherwise they get dried out on top and bottom before the middle is heated through. 

Ina Garten had a gravy recipe with chicken broth. I don't really care, not this year. I've got a wild turkey in my frig I haven't used up yet. I'm just gonna find a breast or something small and throw it on and walk away. 

My mother uses some inedible canned abomination for gravy. That I will NOT do.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

I can't wrap my mind around buying turkey wings in advance to roast in order to make gravy ahead of time. Two things: It's fairly expensive gravy made that way, and what do you then do with the drippings from your roasted turkey?

As for reheating mashed potatoes- I made Ree's once and it does take a long time to reheat them! I think they'd do better in a shallow pan, otherwise they get dried out on top and bottom before the middle is heated through.

Gravy, I should have said I never do this for exactly that reason, but it can be done.

I would save the drippings and freeze them.

• Like 1

Oh foo, leave it to me to forget the Thanksgiving morning cinnamon rolls! Yes, for real. It never ends...  But I have found a brand of those that is sorta ok out of a can. Rhodes frozen were ok too, iirc. 

Apparently we go to great lengths in our house, because we wake up and have a breakfast party before we cook the lunch party. Hmm.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I will also add that the last few years we've travelled to meet college kids and have eaten out for Thanksgiving. I thought I'd miss the home cooking, but it's been so relaxing that it's been quite nice, actually. 

That would be way smart! Let me think about it! With the cost of food, you don't save anything, mercy.

My family are not big turkey fans so for the year I had a brand-new baby for Thanksgiving (born 11/10) I served lasagna that I had made ahead and frozen. We did turkey at Christmas instead.

Unless we have extended family coming for Thanksgiving, we always have either lasagna or stuffed shells.   Big breakfast in the morning and then our main meal about 3 PM. Dessert in the evening.  Super easy. 

• Like 2

Oh foo, leave it to me to forget the Thanksgiving morning cinnamon rolls! Yes, for real. It never ends... But I have found a brand of those that is sorta ok out of a can. Rhodes frozen were ok too, iirc.

Apparently we go to great lengths in our house, because we wake up and have a breakfast party before we cook the lunch party. Hmm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Overnight sticky buns...frozen bread dough, make the Carmel, sit on counter overnight.

Easy. Carmel uses non instant pudding. I have a much loved recipe.

• Like 1

Actually, I was just told by a seasoned cook that you can roast your turkey ahead of time, slice it, put it in a freezer container, cover the turkey slices completely with the broth/leavings from its cooking, and freeze.  Defrost and warm throughout before serving.  She tried boxed/canned chicken broth, but it turned out tasting funny.  She specifically said it had to be the broth from the turkey.  I suppose you could heat it in the oven/crockpot, pour off some broth before serving, and make a quick gravy.  I've never tried it, but...

• Like 2

For the gravy, you could crockpot some chicken thighs ahead of time, de-bone the chicken for chicken salad or whatever, make the gravy from the broth, freeze, and re-heat the day of in a small crockpot.  Sort of like the turkey wing idea, but you can actually use the chicken for something else and the broth/drippings is/are "gravy".  :smilielol5:

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 2

I have made both a sweet potato casserole and mashed potatoes and frozen them 2 weeks ahead in the past. When I wanted to sue them, I left them in the refrigerator overnight to defrost and then baked them before serving. I had to make them ahead for my DH's work potluck and I was too busy on the day it was needed. They turned out great. 

• Like 2

Carol, what's a french silk pie? Sounds chocolatey and divine, yes? Dh wanted an alternative to pecan pie. Is it easy? Is the recipe on a box or I google? I feel like I'm channeling my inner 1950's here. :D

SaveSave

OMGosh, it is so good.

Meringue 'crust' with a layer of chopped walnuts on it.

Then a very rich chocolate filling.

Then whipped cream sweetened with Kahlua.  

From a cookbook I heartily recommend for this and many other reasons:

https://www.amazon.com/Country-Innkeepers-Cookbook-Wilf-Copping/dp/1566260159

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Is is sorta like this? Definitely I'd love to see yours. :D

Marcia's Famous Sticky Buns Recipe - Allrecipes.com  Found this with google

Similar.

Caramel Breakfast Rolls ( AKA sticky buns to my family)

2  pounds of frozen bread dough ( rolls or loaves work, the amount is important)

1 cup brown sugar

1 large box of regular vanilla pudding ( do NOT use instant, it makes the caramel grainy.  Do NOT Use sugar free, the caramel will not turn out at all)  My recipe says 5 1/2 oz box, but I think the box size is smaller now.  Just use whatever the large size regular pudding is.

1/2 cup butter melted

1/4 cup half n half or whole milk

1/2 cup nuts optional

1/2 cup raisins optional

Thaw dough enough to be able to cut it up into chunks. 

Combine brown sugar, pudding, butter and milk in kettle until butter melts and you can mix it all together.

Cut one half of the dough into chunks and place in a greased 9x13 pan or a bundt pan.

Pour half of the carmel over it.

Add nuts and raisins if using them.

Repeat.

At this point, the dough needs to raise. 

We have done it multiple ways.  If the dough is still very cold and partially frozen, leave it on the counter over night and it's ready to bake in the morning.

You can put it in the fridge overnight, but it will need to be on the counter for at least an hour to raise in the morning.

You could put it together on  Tuesday night or early Wednesday and leave it in the fridge and it will raise more than it would over night.

Whatever works!

Quick warming method is to heat oven to 200 degrees.  Turn off oven and let warm up and raise for an hour or so.

Remove pan, preheat oven and then bake.

Bake time is 40-45 mins at 325 degrees.

We serve from the 9x13 pan .  If I put in bundt pan, I like to dump it out onto a huge serving platter.

• Like 2

I made the grave ahead of time with the roasted turkey parts. It was some of the best gravy I've ever made. The drippings from the turkey cooked on Thanksgiving Day I would incorporate into turkey soup.

Thank you!!! That's a lot of the stuff I was trying to figure out, yes. And some of your hacks sound really good for me, like Costco for the pies and StoveTop. I never do that, but this would be a good year for it.

I don't much care for pumpkin pie, but I've been told the Costco pumpkin pies freeze very well.

Oh foo, leave it to me to forget the Thanksgiving morning cinnamon rolls! Yes, for real. It never ends...  But I have found a brand of those that is sorta ok out of a can. Rhodes frozen were ok too, iirc. 

Apparently we go to great lengths in our house, because we wake up and have a breakfast party before we cook the lunch party. Hmm.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have an excellent recipe for overnight cinnamon rolls that you make up to 48 hours ahead of time, leave in the fridge, then pop in the oven when you want them. I believe Pioneer Woman has a recipe, too, that people rave about. 

• Like 1

I watched her cook thst meal and concluded it would take me at least twice that long and I am pretty decent cook!

I’ve made it before and it definitely takes two hours. You could do it in an hour if you spent an hour the day before prepping. If you’re like me it takes 30 minutes just to find all of the ingredients, utensils, and pans to make this many dishes. She doesn’t count that time.

Still, two hours for that many dishes is nothing to sneeze at. I’ve used the turkey breast and the pumpkin soup recipes over and over for years now.

• Like 1

Oh foo, leave it to me to forget the Thanksgiving morning cinnamon rolls! Yes, for real. It never ends... But I have found a brand of those that is sorta ok out of a can. Rhodes frozen were ok too, iirc.

Apparently we go to great lengths in our house, because we wake up and have a breakfast party before we cook the lunch party. Hmm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I swear I saw some bake-at-home Cinnabon rolls in a freezer case very recently.

• Like 1

I swear I saw some bake-at-home Cinnabon rolls in a freezer case very recently.

You may have! I spent some time at Walmart last night, looking at their seasonal things. I found Rhodes frozen cinnamon rolls, which we've done before. They're not amazing, but I'm thinking maybe I can do like Katie said and chop 'em up and do something to 'em. (caramel, regular cinnamon, whatever)

I found a precooked, smoked turkey that you just heat and serve, and I decided that's my speed this year. Found a fully cooked ham, same gig. I think I'll ask my SIL to make the broccoli salad, since she likes it. I bought some boxed stuffing that I think I can prep ahead of time. I frozen some homemade stock to use for the noodles and bought the noodles. I *gasp* bought some containers of turkey broth to make the gravy ahead, because apparently I don't care. Got frozen Texas rolls dough, which I've never used but I thought sounded fun. Is there a way to sort of doctor them or make them nice when I bake them?

The precooked smoked turkey though was my big find! That really got me excited, because that means everything for day of is dump level, just dump it in a pot and bake or warm it up. That's awesome and right where I wanna be. :D

So then the next problem, feeding all these people the night before! Invariably we order out.  :lol:  We could, or we could make something. 

I'm just really excited about this idea that I could spend the day visiting instead of cooking. It would be interesting and different. Just put the stuff in, walk away, and boom it's all done.

Similar.

Caramel Breakfast Rolls ( AKA sticky buns to my family)

2  pounds of frozen bread dough ( rolls or loaves work, the amount is important)

1 cup brown sugar

1 large box of regular vanilla pudding ( do NOT use instant, it makes the caramel grainy.  Do NOT Use sugar free, the caramel will not turn out at all)  My recipe says 5 1/2 oz box, but I think the box size is smaller now.  Just use whatever the large size regular pudding is.

1/2 cup butter melted

1/4 cup half n half or whole milk

1/2 cup nuts optional

1/2 cup raisins optional

Thaw dough enough to be able to cut it up into chunks. 

Combine brown sugar, pudding, butter and milk in kettle until butter melts and you can mix it all together.

Cut one half of the dough into chunks and place in a greased 9x13 pan or a bundt pan.

Pour half of the carmel over it.

Add nuts and raisins if using them.

Repeat.

At this point, the dough needs to raise. 

We have done it multiple ways.  If the dough is still very cold and partially frozen, leave it on the counter over night and it's ready to bake in the morning.

You can put it in the fridge overnight, but it will need to be on the counter for at least an hour to raise in the morning.

You could put it together on  Tuesday night or early Wednesday and leave it in the fridge and it will raise more than it would over night.

Whatever works!

Quick warming method is to heat oven to 200 degrees.  Turn off oven and let warm up and raise for an hour or so.

Remove pan, preheat oven and then bake.

Bake time is 40-45 mins at 325 degrees.

We serve from the 9x13 pan .  If I put in bundt pan, I like to dump it out onto a huge serving platter.

If I do this with cinnamon roll dough, would that be good or weird? Or is there another riff on this you'd recommend? 

If I do this with cinnamon roll dough, would that be good or weird? Or is there another riff on this you'd recommend?

I’ve never done it, but I think it would be good. Just keep,the amounts close to the same. 2pounds of dough, otherwise you end up with either not enough caramel or too little.

Sounds like a great game plan!

• Like 1

You may have! I spent some time at Walmart last night, looking at their seasonal things. I found Rhodes frozen cinnamon rolls, which we've done before. They're not amazing, but I'm thinking maybe I can do like Katie said and chop 'em up and do something to 'em. (caramel, regular cinnamon, whatever)

I found a precooked, smoked turkey that you just heat and serve, and I decided that's my speed this year. Found a fully cooked ham, same gig. I think I'll ask my SIL to make the broccoli salad, since she likes it. I bought some boxed stuffing that I think I can prep ahead of time. I frozen some homemade stock to use for the noodles and bought the noodles. I *gasp* bought some containers of turkey broth to make the gravy ahead, because apparently I don't care. Got frozen Texas rolls dough, which I've never used but I thought sounded fun. Is there a way to sort of doctor them or make them nice when I bake them?

The precooked smoked turkey though was my big find! That really got me excited, because that means everything for day of is dump level, just dump it in a pot and bake or warm it up. That's awesome and right where I wanna be. :D

So then the next problem, feeding all these people the night before! Invariably we order out. :lol: We could, or we could make something.

I'm just really excited about this idea that I could spend the day visiting instead of cooking. It would be interesting and different. Just put the stuff in, walk away, and boom it's all done.

Ooooh...Where did you find the precooked smoked turkey?

We are likely RV camping over Tday if the weather holds and I’m still pondering my turkey options.

• Like 1

I agree with the posters who suggest buying from a decent supermarket/store. I did this one year when I had terrible morning sickness. It did not cost as much as I expected. When I cook for myself I tend to make extra portions and also often have recipes with ingredients I don't usually have, say, pine nuts. So home cooking does not save that much money. I got everything from the store except the turkey, which I wanted freshly cooked -- I happened to use turkey breast, which was very easy.

I strongly believe that if you are in a stressful situation, you should try everything to de-stress it.

I've seen a lot online recently about friends giving -- friends bring a dish, but host coordinates, so not quite a pot luck.

• Like 1

If you have a Fresh Market, I highly recommend thier cranberry relish and their turkey gravy. In your shoes, I'd roast a turkey bread the day of and make or buy everything else ahead. I'd make and freeze twice baked potatoes, pies (see the article on the King Arthur site), buy the gravy, cranberries and a nice kale salad from Fresh Market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ooooh...Where did you find the precooked smoked turkey?

We are likely RV camping over Tday if the weather holds and I’m still pondering my turkey options.

It was from Walmart. The bird was in a freezer case with all the turkeys, brand Honeysuckle I think. Fully Cooked Hickory Smoked Whole Turkey - Honeysuckle White ... What I got has legs, meaning it's the whole bird, but online it says they sell just the breast too. Looks like Sam's Club also has it. I figure I'll just let the thing thaw in the frig a number of days and warm up day of. No guts, no neck, nothing dripping and making my counters germy. Maybe it will be good, maybe not, but it will be done, lol.

Besides, if it's awesome, I'm a Mom rock star! If it's not, oh well. I've been having headaches for some reason and can't get them to stop. I'm taking shortcuts out the wazoo.

If you have a Fresh Market, I highly recommend thier cranberry relish and their turkey gravy. In your shoes, I'd roast a turkey bread the day of and make or buy everything else ahead. I'd make and freeze twice baked potatoes, pies (see the article on the King Arthur site), buy the gravy, cranberries and a nice kale salad from Fresh Market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooo, I wish someone besides me would eat a kale salad, because that sounds yummy!