Menu

Another shooting in San Antonio at a church :(

Liz CA

Ok, another crime statistic thing that I'm not sure is true. I can't remember where I heard it. Supposedly, identity theft has increased a huge amount, and digital theft as well. So, violent crime is down because the perp doesn't have to physically confront the victim.

Finding meaningful identity theft statistics is difficult.  If some picks up my wallet on a park bench, takes the cash and throws the rest in the trash it can count as identity theft because they stole my identification.  If a retailers database is hacked and it contains information about 10,000 customers, that is considered 10,000 people who have experienced identity theft (although it was one instance of hacking).  

Hmmmmm.....

Ok, So, first, I will say that the fact that guns are becoming more lethal doesn't surprise me.  I think that's actually somewhat unavoidable.  Weapons tech has improved in lethality since the first weapon was invented, and I don't think it's possible to stop that.  That's just a general statement.  I think that right now, firearms manufacturers are doing what they are going to do to make a profit.

Are there currently limits on the manufacturing of guns?  I mean I know there are some laws regarding who is legally allowed to and so on.  But I am talking about laws requiring specific features or something?  Kind of like how all cars now have to have seatbelts and pass certain crash tests, etc.  I honestly don't know. 

Yes.  In California we have laws for everything just short of boxers vs. briefs. 

Guns approved for sale in California - guns have to pass certain safety tests.

"Bullet buttons" are illegal.  My understanding is that a semi-automatic with a bullet button is now considered a fully automatic weapon.

There are probably other ones.  I'll ask my husband when he comes in.  (Hunter safety instructor, NRA range-master, and just plain knows a lot about guns, gun safety, and gun laws)

Here's the wikipedia on California's gun laws.  Before you read, grab a cup of coffee and get comfy.  There's a lot on the page.  For the sake of perspective, compare them to a state like Idaho or New Hampshire.  

As it turns out, all these gun laws and cute little "Gun Free Zone" signs didn't do a damned thing to stop a person who was intent on evil.  

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 1

More details coming out. " [A neighbor says] that he had threatened him, and had stabbed another neighbor, a woman, in a dispute earlier this year, and “I believe he was on bond because of that.†The authorities said the woman, whose name has not been released, was among the deceased. 'As far as we know he was, you know, crazy,†Mr. Flint said. “He shoots a lot of gunshots at night, in the morning, like a hundred rounds......'†and "a judge had issued a restraining order against the gunman after the dispute with the neighbor in January. He did not describe what happened between them but said the judge’s order did not prohibit the gunman from possessing firearms."     

We don't know if he was legally allowed to own firearms or not, but, apparently the restraining order obtained by the woman he stabbed wasn't enough (??) 

Edited by poppy
  • Like 1

More details coming out. " [A neighbor says] that he had threatened him, and had stabbed another neighbor, a woman, in a dispute earlier this year, and “I believe he was on bond because of that.†The authorities said the woman, whose name has not been released, was among the deceased. 'As far as we know he was, you know, crazy,†Mr. Flint said. “He shoots a lot of gunshots at night, in the morning, like a hundred rounds......'†and "a judge had issued a restraining order against the gunman after the dispute with the neighbor in January. He did not describe what happened between them but said the judge’s order did not prohibit the gunman from possessing firearms."     

We don't know if he was legally allowed to own firearms or not, but, apparently the restraining order obtained by the woman he stabbed wasn't enough (??) 

Hmphhh.

I wonder if anyone has thought about passing a law such as, if a police report is filed against me for DV and it passes some kind of scrutiny--a form of due process, if you will, to ensure that frivolous filings are weeded out--the filing then automatically triggers a warrant being issued, and police make a stop by my house to pick up my guns.  If the case goes to court and I am found not guilty, then and only then, do I get the weapon(s) back.  If I'm found guilty, then my hardware is automatically destroyed.   That would probably require a 24-72 hour hold on a DV suspect, to allow local LE to complete the task without as much risk to themselves.

I'd also like to see a commission look at all the ways crimes, DV, and mental health issues are reported, and establish guidelines for such, so that the NICS checks are more accurate.  Based on the commission's report, a national law would have to be passed to standardize and mandate reporting.

thinking, thinking...

The article in the NYT says the restraining order prohibited him from having weapons, but that he manufactured them in his home.  Also reports by his sister that he had a history of mental illness. 

Sigh...one child in critical condition.

As 3D printers become more advanced, the whole "manufacturing our own guns" thing is a bit scary.  I don't know what I think about all that. 

I have two thoughts about this.

Given that manufacturers have seen this coming for a lot longer than jane average citizen, I cannot help but wonder whether the exponential growth of gun production and sales in the past 15 yrs or so is not just a simple strategy by a small group of people to exit the market with a last hurrah. These corporations are in it to make their last lousy penny for as long as they can and I think it's quite likely just a giant corporate push and then they'll take their money off the table and go peddle some other thing.  And some of the same people who yell about media influence and monopolies 'msm' can't apparently see that there's a giant monopoly of gun manufacturers who are all intent on selling them a narrative. 

Secondly, it's not the 3d printing on its own that is the problem. It's an attitude that a reasonable response to a fear or a threat is a gun wielded by a civilian, rather than a law enforcement official  + poverty reduction programs + crime prevention initiatives. That's the problem. You're decivilizing. All those post apocalyptic movies and stories about people struggling to survive are not meant to be blueprints for life now;  but from my perspective, it seems like some have absorbed a message that this is their current life. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 4

I wonder if anyone has thought about passing a law such as, if a police report is filed against me for DV and it passes some kind of scrutiny--a form of due process, if you will, to ensure that frivolous filings are weeded out--the filing then automatically triggers a warrant being issued, and police make a stop by my house to pick up my guns.  If the case goes to court and I am found not guilty, then and only then, do I get the weapon(s) back.  If I'm found guilty, then my hardware is automatically destroyed.   That would probably require a 24-72 hour hold on a DV suspect, to allow local LE to complete the task without as much risk to themselves.

I'd also like to see a commission look at all the ways crimes, DV, and mental health issues are reported, and establish guidelines for such, so that the NICS checks are more accurate.  Based on the commission's report, a national law would have to be passed to standardize and mandate reporting.

thinking, thinking...

Preventing someone else, particularly an enemy, the ability to take away your guns is a big fear motivator that is pushed by the guns rights group. So the fear is that a woman will falsely report domestic violence and that will result in guns being removed from a  law abiding citizen.  

You know what this made me think of ?   The head of Besty Devos's civil rights division said 90% of  campus rape reports were false claims. The odds of authorities taking a domestic violence that seriously don't seem high in this world right now.

I have two thoughts about this.

Given that manufacturers have seen this coming for a lot longer than jane average citizen, I cannot help but wonder whether the exponential growth of gun production and sales in the past 15 yrs or so is not just a simple strategy by a small group of people to exit the market with a last hurrah. These corporations are in it to make their last lousy penny for as long as they can and I think it's quite likely just a giant corporate push and then they'll take their money off the table and go peddle some other thing.  And some of the same people who yell about media influence and monopolies 'msm' can't apparently see that there's a giant monopoly of gun manufacturers who are all intent on selling them a narrative. 

Secondly, it's not the 3d printing on its own that is the problem. It's an attitude that a reasonable response to a fear or a threat is a gun wielded by a civilian, rather than a law enforcement official  + poverty reduction programs + crime prevention initiatives. That's the problem. You're decivilizing. All those post apocalyptic movies and stories about people struggling to survive are not meant to be blueprints for life now;  but from my perspective, it seems like some have absorbed a message that this is their current life. 

Bingo. And put armed guards in schools and churches, don't forget.

• Like 1