Menu

Your own narration and dictation for writing

MistyMountain

I was doing Treasured Conversations with my dd and ds but my ds has really not liked it. It would be a lot of juggling but I am thinking of just doing dictation from books he likes and have him do a narration for history, science and our literature instead but without a program. We also do Apples and Pears spelling. I would continue to use Treasure Conversations for dd because she likes it just fine and I think the skills it teaches coming up will be good for her where I think it will be too much writing for ds when we get to paragraph construction. 

I was doing Treasured Conversations with my dd and ds but my ds has really not liked it. It would be a lot of juggling but I am thinking of just doing dictation from books he likes and have him do a narration for history, science and our literature instead but without a program. We also do Apples and Pears spelling. I would continue to use Treasure Conversations for dd because she likes it just fine and I think the skills it teaches coming up will be good for her where I think it will be too much writing for ds when we get to paragraph construction.

This is what I do and it works so well. The girls LOVE it when I give them sentences they recognize from books we are reading. It also offers more opportunity for talking about context, vocabulary, etc. I follow the WWE suggestions for grammar focus in each selection, just so I remember to vary things.

• Like 4

How old is your ds? Definitely doing it the old-fashioned way, sans curriculum, is fine, mercy. If he's getting older (5-8th gr), then you could maybe step it up a little by letting him outline the source, etc. But in general, is the question just whether you can drop the stuff another homeschool mom made and declare yourself competent to choose your own selections, OF COURSE. That was the whole POINT of WTM and it's what lots of us have done for lots of years.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

How old is your ds? Definitely doing it the old-fashioned way, sans curriculum, is fine, mercy. If he's getting older (5-8th gr), then you could maybe step it up a little by letting him outline the source, etc. But in general, is the question just whether you can drop the stuff another homeschool mom made and declare yourself competent to choose your own selections, OF COURSE. That was the whole POINT of WTM and it's what lots of us have done for lots of years. :thumbup:

I needed to read this today. Thank-you!

• Like 2

WTM is what had me think I should just try to do my own. But it did not seem like many actually do that. Maybe I should get the WWE guide for help. I think I could find sentences for dictation just fine but I could use some help with how to word things to get narrations. I need to do that with him and my oldest dd too for science and history.