Menu

Do any of you carry personal safety alarms?

Seasider

No.  I am mostly out and about in the suburbs, driving to shops and such.  When I am in the inner city once a week, there are plenty of people around me on the street and on public transport. 

I do have the local public transport app on my phone, which allows you to report issues such as people on the train who are behaving in a way that creates concern; I've never used it but I might in future.  And I have the public transport's customer service twitter address; I've only used it to report (praise) particularly helpful conductors and to ask for clarification of confusing/inaccurate posted train/track info.

My main safety strategy is to do my best at situational awareness; I don't hesitate to move away from people who seem angry or disturbed.  When my kids were little, and now and again we were in iffy areas, we had a code word so I could communicate that we were doing this without it being obvious about it.

I'm thinking about Christmas gifts for the young adult women in my life who are coming and going from off campus apartment buildings and/or work in downtown areas. So it's not for me, though I might could use one, too!

I'm thinking of something like this. Just wanted to see if anyone here has something similar and could tell me if they liked it. The one I linked here seems pretty cheap/inexpensive; I don't want it to be needed only to not work, kwim?

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Personal-Self-Defense-Safety-meters/dp/B00BD4YVXY

Edited by Seasider

I'm thinking about Christmas gifts for the young adult women in my life who are coming and going from off campus apartment buildings and/or work in downtown areas. So it's not for me, though I might could use one, too!

I'm thinking of something like this. Just wanted to see if anyone here has something similar and could tell me if they liked it. The one I linked here seems pretty cheap/inexpensive; I don't want it to be needed only to not work, kwim?

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Personal-Self-Defense-Safety-meters/dp/B00BD4YVXY

I don't carry one, but that's a pretty cool gadget for someone who needs it. I absolutely would have carried one in my 20s, living in a high crime city. I took a lot of night classes and was out a lot at night - I walked through some sketchy areas. I did carry mace.