Menu

Favorite meal to take to help families

lewber

In cool weather I take a soup or stew, for example a traditional beef stew (beef, carrots, onions, potatoes), or chile verde, or chicken curry - depending on people's preferences, etc.

In warm weather I take things that can be eaten cold. Last summer I gave someone the makings for chicken caesar salad, and a loaf of good bread. The parents ate the salad one night, but didn't use all the chicken. The next night they had sandwiches with the bread and chicken. 

A roasted pork tenderloin can be served hot with potatoes and a vegetable (brussels sprouts go well, but not everyone likes them) and leftovers can be eaten cold in a sandwich, or put into burritos or quesadillas.  

Taco fixings can be good too.  Years ago, my church group brought meals when my  mom died. We got so much pasta-and-red-sauce that we ended up just throwing some away (of course we didn't tell people that). But someone brought the stuff to make tacos and that was wonderful.

I don't mean to say you should not take lasagne.  Most people do like pasta. We just got too much and there was no coordination within the group bringing meals. 

• Like 5

When friends brought meals to us last winter, we got lasagna, Mac and cheese, rotisserie chickens, cheeseburger casserole, chicken corn soup, split pea soup, chicken and broccoli casserole, stuffed shells, sandwich platter, baked egg casserole, and I can’t even remember what else. I vote you bring something that you make well. I’ve taken baked pasta with sausage before. I’m planning a meal for a family that is gluten-free, and I’m thinking Italian chicken (green beans, onions and mushrooms, diced chicken breast, and tomatoes, layered) but haven’t decided yet. I need to check the sign-up list to see what other people are bringing.

But tbh, I was SO incredibly grateful that anyone even cared enough to drive to my house and bring food for my family (especially since we are a good 45 minute hike for most of our friends) that I wouldn’t have cared if it was lasagna every day. Aw, shoot, I’m tearing up remembering how touched I was.

• Like 3

Years ago, my church group brought meals when my  mom died. We got so much pasta-and-red-sauce that we ended up just throwing some away (of course we didn't tell people that). But someone brought the stuff to make tacos and that was wonderful.

I don't mean to say you should not take lasagne.  Most people do like pasta. We just got too much and there was no coordination within the group bringing meals. 

We have had 10 babies, so we've had a bunch of meals brought to us (which we are extremely grateful for!).  But we had the same experience with pasta and red sauce.  So. Much. Pasta. and Red Sauce.  It was definitely a standing joke with our older kids!  

Now I never bring pasta with red sauce, figuring at least my meal will be a break.  I usually do a soup as well, with bread and a salad.  I just brought a chicken/black bean soup with homemade cornbread and a bag of kale salad from Costco to our cross country team's coach and her family, since her dad just passed away.  They have 8 kids, so I'm sure they are getting a lot of pasta a red sauce too--it definitely is easy for big families, lol.

• Like 1

I like to do meatballs, because it tends to be unusual in the 'mix'.  I have a German meatball recipe that goes with spaetzle, and that's always a winner.  I try to bring over some fresh fruit, preferably from my garden, and always bring a salad and something that will be good for leftovers as well (like muffins or cornbread or cheese chunks/crackers).

• Like 1

When my mom was dying and the four of us kids were at her house, someone had brought a honeybaked ham and rolls and we all appreciated being able to make little ham sandwiches easily. We also appreciated any fruit, salad, etc as we weren't getting as much of that as we would have in our own homes.

• Like 5

I would make either shepherd's pie (the american version with hamburger) or Chicken Almondine https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-almondine 

Someone once brought us salisbury steak and that was really good.  When DH's grandmother died, someone brought chicken a la king to their house.  I still haven't found a recipe as good as that one but if I ever do, that will be my go to meal.  

• Like 1

Sandwich fixings or frozen pizzas, veggies or salad, fruit, snack food, quick breakfast items, drinks, or disposable plates and silverware.

I know in a crisis I'd rather have familiar stuff that hungry family can fix themselves without making an entire meal at once, so I try to keep that in mind when considering food for others. Filling in the gaps between lunch/dinner meals, especially with several teens.

• Like 5

I like those pre-sliced, pre-cooked briskets from Sam's. Potato salad or mashed potatoes. Something green - veggie, cole slaw, or salad. Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, cuties), some brownies. Add bread/rolls and sliced cheese for leftover sandwiches. I also like to take something breakfast-y as well - banana bread, pumpkin muffins.

Alternatively, I do veggie soup and those pre-made ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches on onion rolls with the mustard/butter/poppy seed sauce. Wrapped individually in foil for heating in the oven. Still add brownies, fruit, and something breakfast-y.

• Like 2

These are all such good ideas! Right now I am the only person signed up for pasta of any sort, so I'll stick with that for the first round. Thank you for all the great ideas! Veggie tray and sandwich fixings are a great idea too. I could send those along. Veggie tray might be a nice switch up from green salads. 

The grandmother is staying with them and the kids are all in school, so eating lunch there. But some muffins would be a good addition for breakfast or if they pack their own lunches.

Thanks!

I have several.

Chicken pot pie (for larger families I make this in a rectangular pan - not as pretty but still yummy). I send along a block of cheddar cheese, maybe a bagged salad, and some fruit.

Chicken Tetrazzini  - I send along bread, a bagged salad, and some fruit.

Chicken Noodle Soup (I transport the noodles separately along with a can of chicken broth because I don't want to transport a huge amount of liquids). This is usually for sick people so I try to include a variety of fresh clean fruit.

Calzones if they have a lot of small children - I make them but do not bake them. I wrap each in Al foil and mark with masking tape what is inside. I also take a jar of pizza sauce as we just dip ours in it (no sauce inside). I'll add dessert if I have time and think about it.